mtbr member

Austin Trails Similar to These Dallas Area Trails...

Looking to find out from someone familiar with both the trails in Dallas and Austin. Currently in Dallas, might be moving to Austin...so want to consider and an area in Austin close to the trails I'd be most likely to ride.

I work from home, so I don't have to worry about living close to work. Besides, trails are more important than work anyway.

The three trails I ride the most in the Dallas area are:

1. Northshore
    2. Boulder
    3. RCP (just because it is close to me)

What trails in Austin would be similar to those?
    mountainbikefaq.com - See my 2x10 to 1x10 conversion (lots of pics!)

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    I haven't ridden those trails but my site has info on all of the Austin trails with lots of pics for comparison.
    Austin Mountain Biking and worldwide travel pictures:

http://www.austinbike.com

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Moving to Austin with the intention to ride Dallas-like trails is like moving to Hawaii with the intention to surf Galveston-like waves.

Basically, you've been on a no-drop all-ages beginner ride up until this point.
    =====
    bacon (is my dog)
    http://www.sbtec.com

mtbr member
    i lived in DFW for 2 years and rode Northshore a lot and Boulder 4 or 5 times (OCNP plenty too). Most of the Austin stuff is gonna be rockier, steeper and techier than the Dallas stuff. the best place to live specifically for riding is close to the Barton Greenbelt. Its a huge maze of trails just southwest of downtown. Theres a main trail that starts at Zilker Park and follows the creek for like 8 miles. That said, there are a ton of offshoot trails. Most mtn bikers dont even ride on the main trail unless theyre using it to connect to other parts of the trail. That said, its a lot rockier/ledgier than anything in DFW.

The closest thing to DFW riding (smooth fast, relatively non-technical trails) is Walnut Creek up north. Its a nice trail, but I only ride there becuase I live a couple blocks away. If I lived near the Greenbelt, I dont think I would ever ride WC...

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    I also lived in dallas for two years and now live in austin. Austin has a ton more rocks, kinda similar to loop 13? of RCP with all of the rocks. Walnut creek is pretty similar to big cedar. RCP reminds me a lot of Houston. There are a lot of outlaw trails in Austin that are fun, much more fun than any of the DFW trails. Northshore and big cedar were my two fav trails in DFW and any of the Austin trails crap on them both.
    2013 Ibis Mojo HD Special Blend with dropper post, hope/stans wheelset and hope x2/m4 brakes

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by baconismidog View Post
    Moving to Austin with the intention to ride Dallas-like trails is like moving to Hawaii with the intention to surf Galveston-like waves.

Basically, you've been on a no-drop all-ages beginner ride up until this point.
    classic! gonna try to validate that statement this weekend! By the way, what type of elevation change is there on normal ride?
    Just looking for a ride!
    Trek Ex 8

@mattwelton

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by endo_2011 View Post
    classic! gonna try to validate that statement this weekend! By the way, what type of elevation change is there on normal ride?
    On the greenbelt you can see 1500-2000ft in 10-15 miles. Lakeway you'll see 1050 feet over the 7.5 mile out and back. Those are the trails in town with the most elevation change I believe.
    =====
    bacon (is my dog)

mtbr member
    heres a recent Greenbelt ride i did: Mountain Bike Ride Profile | Green belt 4-20 near Austin | Times and Records | Strava . 11.5 miles, 1400 feet (no idea how accurate the iPhone Strava app is). nothing super sustained though. the biggest sustained climb youll make is maybe a couple hundred feet. Walnut Creek elevation... youll maybe get 600-700 feet maybe. depends on what loops you ride.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by sooner518 View Post
    heres a recent Greenbelt ride i did: Mountain Bike Ride Profile | Green belt 4-20 near Austin | Times and Records | Strava . 11.5 miles, 1400 feet (no idea how accurate the iPhone Strava app is). nothing super sustained though. the biggest sustained climb youll make is maybe a couple hundred feet. Walnut Creek elevation... youll maybe get 600-700 feet maybe. depends on what loops you ride.
    That's about right sooner, I'd say your GPS is fine.

Friendly warning - those new to Austin riding should not try to follow the ride he listed unless you like walking or have no concern for your collarbone's well being.

Just sayin'...
    =====
    bacon (is my dog)

mtbr member
    I don't know anything about Dallas trails, but if your only concern is proximity to trails in Austin, somewhere around 360 at the pennybacker bridge would put you between just about everything (the HOL side of the Greenbelt, City Park-Thumper-others in that area, and not too far from Walnut.) If you are going to just pick one and live as close as possible, Barton Creek Greenbelt every time.

mtbr member

Like to ride variety of trails. Looking at round rock area. Would this work
    Just looking for a ride!
    Trek Ex 8

@mattwelton

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    Round rock is right in the middle of none of the trails. There are some up north and some down south. Depending on how long you have to ride to get to a trailhead today will determine if this is a good place. If you are used to 30 minute drives to trails, RR is fine. But if you want close proximity to good trails, there are probably better places to live.

mtbr member
    quick question...how bad does rain affect trails here. Will Walnut be worth riding tomorrow?
    Just looking for a ride!
    Trek Ex 8

@mattwelton

mtbr member

Re: Austin Trails Similar to These Dallas Area Trails...

quick question...how bad does rain affect trails here. Will Walnut be worth riding tomorrow?
    We'll check the 42 "is walnut dry?" threads for you on another site

Rprtexas.com will be rideable and they've got a walnut like loop now (in addition to all the tech there)
    Scott Genius 910 tricked out as much as I could without getting a divorce

mtbr member
    fyi...rode walnut this morning. was pretty muddy early. Got better closer to noon, and as I found some more trails.

nice place...not much climbing but fun
    Just looking for a ride!
    Trek Ex 8

@mattwelton

mtbr member

Re: Austin Trails Similar to These Dallas Area Trails...

fyi...rode walnut this morning. was pretty muddy early. Got better closer to noon, and as I found some more trails.

Check it off the list and go hit the "good stuff" now
    Scott Genius 910 tricked out as much as I could without getting a divorce

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    emma long <3
    2013 Ibis Mojo HD Special Blend with dropper post, hope/stans wheelset and hope x2/m4 brakes

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    max elevation on any single climb is about 300-400 ft. usually you are going up and down to get the gains posted above.

mtbr member

If Walnut is muddy, please don't ride it. It does not take abuse well. City Park is the best in-town ride when mud is a problem. It's not the easiest place to ride but it holds up much better.

mtbr member

That's why I waited till closer to noon. There were a ton of people hitting trail! Not sure how they got anywhere.
    Just looking for a ride!
    Trek Ex 8

@mattwelton

PMarsh Thumbs Up!
    Quote Originally Posted by baconismidog View Post
    That's about right sooner, I'd say your GPS is fine.

Friendly warning - those new to Austin riding should not try to follow the ride he listed unless you like walking or have no concern for your collarbone's well being.

Just sayin'...
    Is it rough? I've never ridden in Austin, but I can hardly find anything in Dallas worth my time that's dirt, so I wouldn't mind looking for other options on weekends if I end up back there. Might just have to build my own trails if I can find any decent elevation.
    2011 Giant Glory 01
    2013 Pivot Firebird
    2004 Turner Rail - Stoled

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    You can't compare Austin trails to Dallas. Though I have only ridden dinosaur valley and cleburne, I have ridden with plenty of folks that have ridden both and they say that Austin has move elevation and technical challenges.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    McKinney Falls and Walnut