unrooted

Austin-Trails and Bike Rental

I unfortunately get to go to a wedding this weekend north of Waco, the one upside is that my wife is "letting me" go to Austin for a day. I really want to rent a bike and check out a good trail.

Any suggestions? Looking for 12-20 miles of good xc/trail riding.
    195 lbs-6'4" Banshee Prime XL
    Ride Mammoth, Tahoe & Vegas

PLEASE GIVE ME NEGATIVE REP!

mtbr member
    Bicycle Sport Shop rents mountain bikes.

driving to Brushy Creek in Cedar Park is worth the drive. Greenbelt is much closer but it's a vast trail system and easy to get lost. It's also very wet right now. Walnut Creek probably dries up faster than Greenbelt too.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Yes, Bicycle Sport Shop on South Lamar has good rentals (including Specialized and Santa Cruz, I think). Check out their website.

Cycle Progression, a little further south, is a smaller shop with more high end rentals if you want a Turner or a Pivot.

Most of the Barton Creek Greenbelt trails have dried up and it's rideable. The only problem is that the creek in the middle of the network is still flowing, so you can't just cross at will without getting very wet. But, if you enter at the right trailhead and are with someone who knows where to go, you can still get 20 miles without crossing the creek.
    The Greenbelt is very technically challenging in most places, and it is really the jewel of Austin trails, but you wouldn't enjoy it on just one ride without a guide to show you the turns...

When are you planning on riding? How strong of a rider do you consider yourself?
    I might be able to show you around. Or, someone at the Austin Voodoo site might be able to (see below).

Another option to consider if you can find a rental in Waco is to drive to Reveille Peak Ranch instead of Austin proper. RPR is sweet riding. It's NW of Austin and SW of Waco. RprTexas.com

More trail info: AustinBike.com - Your home for Central Texas Mountain Biking
    More opinions from local Austin riders: Austin VooDoo

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    I'll have to second mack_turtle's Bicycle Sport Shop and Brushy Creek suggestion. You can get around 12 miles in if you hit all the trails there and it's mostly highway driving from the BSS that rents bikes. It's a good cross between quick flowy singletrack and really rocky tight and techy switchbacks. It's not beginner stuff, but well worth the trip if you have some idea of how to ride. Just rode it today and yesterday and it's in great shape. Nice and tacky without being drivetrain destroying muddy.

2310 Brushy Creek Road, Cedar Park, TX Park just past the skate park to the right from the entrance and follow the dirt path off the parking lot to the paved walkway. Go right and cross the bridge. Immediately after the bridge, look to your left to see a path. Take it and enjoy Mulligan which ends in a killer 15 foot chute/drop.

Take a left on the pathway after that and go under the railroad bridge. About 500 yards down the path, right before you come out of the trees into a large clearing, look for a path on your right. That's Picnic. Stay to your left initially. You will make a 90 degree turn around a tree to your left a little into it and it's time to see if you are a man or a mouse.

Basket drop is on your right. It's a near vertical 4 foot drop that looks much worse than it is. By the time your rear wheel clears the lip, your front is just entering the transition. Just put your ass over the rear wheel, keep your hands light on the bars and fingers off your brakes. You will feel your testicles expand and harden to a steel like consistency. Your looks will immediately improve and your bank account will double just from taking this drop like a boss. Follow the loop around and exit directly across the paved path from where you entered Picnic. Don't turn at all.

This is the main part of the trail system called Deception. This portion is about 7 or 8 miles long and a solid mix of techy switchbacks (as space is limited) and short but steep uphills. It's very rocky and made to hurt you if you screw up. There's a lot of cactus and please don't take shortcuts. It is one of the better examples of central Texas riding available this close to an urban area besides City Park(Emma Long). Flat square edged rocks, babyhead rocks, a little dirt and some more rocks. Tight single track too, so be careful with wide bars. At the end of it, take a right at the jeep road and take another right at the paved pathway to get back to the parking lot.

mtbr member
    will be wheels down at city park at 2 on friday if you have a bike and want to beat on it abit...
    Just looking for a ride!
    Trek Ex 8

@mattwelton

Bicycle Addict
    Glad I stumbled upon this when I did. I'll be in the North Austin area, 183 & Spicewood Springs Rd on the 28th, seeking the same advice.
    The unexamined life is not worth living - Socrates
    Bearded Women Racing

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    J3SSEB, you will probably still have to drive down into the city proper to rent a bike. University Cycles is probably the closest but they have limited choices. Mid to low end hardtails and that's about it. Bicycle Sport Shop has the best selection and they have more models than they publish. I just rented a Trek Remedy 650b from there yesterday that was top notch. Like AddATX said Cycle Progression just further down Lamar has rentals too with more high end bikes. I've gotten a Turner Burner there before and it was a great ride. They are a little pricy IMO, but with bikes like that at a smaller shop, it makes sense.

unrooted
    Thanks for the help, but it looks like we'll go rock climbing instead since a friend will also be there!
    195 lbs-6'4" Banshee Prime XL
    Ride Mammoth, Tahoe & Vegas

PLEASE GIVE ME NEGATIVE REP!

Bicycle Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by MrMentallo View Post
    J3SSEB, you will probably still have to drive down into the city proper to rent a bike. University Cycles is probably the closest but they have limited choices. Mid to low end hardtails and that's about it. Bicycle Sport Shop has the best selection and they have more models than they publish. I just rented a Trek Remedy 650b from there yesterday that was top notch. Like AddATX said Cycle Progression just further down Lamar has rentals too with more high end bikes. I've gotten a Turner Burner there before and it was a great ride. They are a little pricy IMO, but with bikes like that at a smaller shop, it makes sense.
    Excellent. Thanks. I've called to make a bike reservation with bicycles sport shop. I'm probably going to ride Brushy Creek since its closest to me.
    Bearded Women Racing

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Have a good time and post back here with what you think about it. That Remedy 650b was a kick ass ride. Next to no pedal bob and great rear shock action while braking over rubble and chunder. Climbs like a monkey which is alien for a long travel, big wheel bike. You should ask about it. Show up as they open as rentals are first come, first serve regardless of your reservations.

mtbr member
    If you're closer to Waco than Austin why not go to Cameron Park?

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by J3SSEB View Post
    Excellent. Thanks. I've called to make a bike reservation with bicycles sport shop. I'm probably going to ride Brushy Creek since its closest to me.
    How did your ride go?

mtbr member
    I'm absolutely obsessed with Brushy Creek right now. My in laws, who are an hour from us, live about 10 min. away from Brushy. We went Christmas day and are already heading back to hit it again in a day or two. That is some awesome work out there!

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    yes, they did a good job, trails built by riders, for riders
    Austin Mountain Biking and worldwide travel pictures:

http://www.austinbike.com

Bicycle Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by MrMentallo View Post
    How did your ride go?
    It was awesome! I had some trouble actually finding the trail at first, but then I hooked up with some people and they showed me around. I really like all the limestone step-ups and drops. How many miles is it? I think I only got about 8.
    Bearded Women Racing

mtbr member
    That sounds about right, I usually get about 8 too. But there is a lot packed in those 8 miles.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Hope you don't mind if I pile on this thread too. I'm heading to Austin from Oregon on the 12th and I'm looking for a couple of rides. For Friday, I was figuring on getting a road bike and doing the Mellow Johnny's Friday ride, but I'm thinking about mountain biking on Thursday if the Barton Creek trails are worthwhile. I'm staying at the Radisson near the convention center and was thinking of renting from Bicycle Sport Shop and/or Mellow Johnny's. Walnut Creek sounds fun too but I won't have a car and it's probably too far to pedal. Any intel is appreciated!

mb

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Yes, your hotel will be close to both MJs and Bike Sport Shop.
    Barton Creek Greenbelt trailhead is within riding distance too. It's truly an awesome network of MTB trails. Great riding.
    But, it's all unmarked and an out-of-towner trying to squeeze in a ride definitely needs a guide to show them around.
    More importantly, it's not a beginner-friendly trail system. Certainly doesn't have the climbs you may be used to, but as far as techinical skills/challenge, it is advanced or intermediate/advanced.

If you're still interested, I may be able to show you around out there this weekend, schedule permitting. My GB rides are between 20-30 miles, and between 2-3.5 hours.

You can also find more opinions and other potential guides here - Austin VooDoo

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    BSS has a better selection of rentals. Try and post on here or start a thread on this page and ask for a guided tour of the Greenbelt. It is a rat's nest of trails and you can easily skip by all the good stuff without realizing it. There's a couple of people that are more than willing to help an out of towner out. I don't want to volunteer anyone without their permission so I won't mention names, but there is a person who is usually always willing to help out.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by addATX View Post
    Yes, your hotel will be close to both MJs and Bike Sport Shop.
    Barton Creek Greenbelt trailhead is within riding distance too. It's truly an awesome network of MTB trails. Great riding.
    But, it's all unmarked and an out-of-towner trying to squeeze in a ride definitely needs a guide to show them around.
    More importantly, it's not a beginner-friendly trail system. Certainly doesn't have the climbs you may be used to, but as far as techinical skills/challenge, it is advanced or intermediate/advanced.

If you're still interested, I may be able to show you around out there this weekend, schedule permitting. My GB rides are between 20-30 miles, and between 2-3.5 hours.

You can also find more opinions and other potential guides here - Austin VooDoo
    Hey, thanks! I may take you up on that. I'm an experienced rider so more technical trails are fine. I have a window on Saturday morning if that works for you.

mb

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    If you guys are hitting the GB on Saturday morning, I'd be more than happy to tag along, I know a few of the trails back there

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Yeah, I didn't want to volunteer you, but I figured you would chime in.

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    BSS opens at 9, if a rental is reserved you can be out of there by 9:30 and on the trail by 10.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Sweet! Saturday morning it is. I'll pm you guys so we can connect.

mb

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    PMs sent.