Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Feb 2005

Austin Riders - What are you riding?

Used to race in New England from 1995-2001, and then got back into mountain biking in 2012 while I was living in Austin.

Have always owned 26", and opted for an Ibis Mojo SL when I got back into the sport.

Curious to see what makes/models folks are riding around Austin these days. I see a lot of Niner, Trek, and Specialized on the trail. Anxious to see what else we have riding around here..

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Ragley Blue Pig. 26" 150mm travel hardtail. I could either afford a well kitted out hardtail or a crap full suspension. I also got tired of having to pick around tech features I could easily bomb with a slack head angled and long travel bike. I've spent around $1400-1500 on it and only need to upgrade the crankset and rear drivetrain. What I have currently works, but is pretty outdated and will need replacing in the next year anyways. I'm not sure if I should go with a single ring up front and a 10 speed out back with a 40 or a 42 tooth cog or a 2x up front with a ten speed out back. Both set ups have their advantages and disadvantages.

You see loads of Niners, Treks and Speccy's because that's what Bicycle Sport Shop sells. Biggest shop(s) in town = lots of sales. Good place, I get lots of stuff done there.

Positively negative
    Mar 2010
    I have a Salsa El Kaboing, that's due to get replaced this fall. I'm thinking 120mm-150mm 27.5", not set on a brand yet.

I also have a Rigid GT Peace 9er. I actually just got a 10mm Tora fork to try out on there but I mostly use it for long days of mixed terrain and bikepacking so I like it rigid.

Also, I commute on a Surly Karate Monkey but the most "trail" use it just is Town Lake, Shoal creek or maybe Onion Creek.

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    I have a Specialized Hardrock with a Fox 120mm fork, 1x9, and a Stumpjumper rigid SS. They work fine for where I ride, but I don't do the green belt or city park, I hate the giant rock ledges and getting beaten to death/crashing constantly.

If I were to build the perfect bike for everything Austin has to offer, it would be a lightweight, aggressive 5" FS 29er, with a 1x10 or 1x11 drivetrain.

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    You can pretty much ride anything here, but suspension is always preferred over rigid. It all depends on how you want to ride and how you like to ride.
    Last edited by austin_bike; 06-19-2014 at 11:17 PM.
    Austin Mountain Biking and worldwide travel pictures:

http://www.austinbike.com

aj3
    mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Originally from Cali.... 26"Cannondale Rize 4... 140mm travel up front, 130mm rear shock... kept my 3 ring setup (44, 32,22) although, I cant really find anywhere to use my beastmode ring usually so I've thought about dropping to two. 9 speed cassette.

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    2x9 works great, ran that for years. 1x9 works with a 30t front ring. 1x10 is perfect.
    Austin Mountain Biking and worldwide travel pictures:

http://www.austinbike.com

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    13 camber comp 29er and 11 stumpjumper fsr comp 26. Both perfect bikes for me depending on how I wanna ride.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Edited
    Last edited by fontarin; 06-29-2014 at 04:32 PM.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Niner RIP9 and Trek Remedy 26. Love them both for different reasons. The Niner is a steamroller and the Trek feels like a big BMX.

I've ridden several Mojos and loved them all. Probably one of my top 5 favorite bikes.

mtbr member
    Surly Karate Monkey with a 1x9, sometimes singlespeed, and an 80mm fork. It has its limitations but most of its limits are determined by the rider.

mtbr member
    Jan 2011

Austin Riders - What are you riding?

Santa cruz Nickel 650b, 1x9. I've had a couple other bikes but im really liking this setup

mtbr member
    May 2004
    I'm a pretty big fan of active suspension for our rock climbing/descending. This knolly is a ripper (lemme know if you are interested in one, i'm not a shop but can most def help out)

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by CharacterZero View Post
    I'm a pretty big fan of active suspension for our rock climbing/descending. This knolly is a ripper (lemme know if you are interested in one, i'm not a shop but can most def help out)
    Seems like overkill for the vast majority of riding around here, although likely a ton of fun at City Park...

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Pelly_NH View Post
    Seems like overkill for the vast majority of riding around here, although likely a ton of fun at City Park...
    LOL! ...about 10mm overkill, but coming from a Delirium this bike is a freaking featherweight! And you are right, CP and many other trails are great on this bike - that is why I bought it, as those are the trails I ride. You know how many times I've ridden Walnut Creek in the last 5 years? 0. Shoal/Slaughter/RHR? 0. Main trail bcgb? handful.

I bought this frame and built it for what I ride most often, which is very...city park-ish. Pacebend is probably the most tame of what I frequent, can nodab the RGOG and the slack setting rails the turns out there more than well enough. Justification enough for me, I say.

I'm big and don't shy away from many features, and wanted something robust that still climbs well enough- this bike is it! I've considered 140-150mm bikes out there, but then know I'd have to shy away from some features I hit on the regular.

mtbr member
    I ride a Santa Cruz Blur LTc. 140mm travel front and back. my next bike would likely be a 5-6 inch travel 650b bike. my list would include a Santa Cruz Bronson or a Devinci Troy.

I run a 2X9 but you can get away with a 1X pretty easily. I rarely use my granny gear. im almost always in my 32 ring. if i dropped it to 30, I could do without the granny. just havent gotten around to it yet.

I cant imagine riding BCGB or City Park or Brushy Creek on a hardtail. and you cant have as much fun on a smaller travel bike, but I like to huck ledges...

I live 30 seconds from Walnut Creek (my bike is overkill for WC) so I ride that the most on the weekdays and the BCGB and City Park most weekends (my bike is pretty good for the most part, but a tad overmatched at certain spots, but I make it work).

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    I have a tallboy ltc, which is overkill for just about everything but makes me feel safe. I have a generic carbon hardtail that is probably about right.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by sooner518 View Post

I cant imagine riding BCGB or City Park or Brushy Creek on a hardtail. and you cant have as much fun on a smaller travel bike, but I like to huck ledges...
    I ride Brushy Creek weekly on a 150mm travel hardtail. I like to huck ledges too. That's what dropper posts are for. My Ragley looks almost like a dirt jumper with a long fork on it. You'd be surprised at what you can do on a hardtail that has the right geometry and set up. Mine has a 66.5 degree head angle and short seat stays. Way stable at speed downhill without making to many handling sacrifices. Yeah I could climb more efficiently and go faster over things like the RGOG at Pace Bend or the Devil's Staircase at CP on a full squishy, but I'm perfectly content on my burly hardtail (for now). It's stronger than I am.

mtbr member
    I started on a 26" rigid single speed, moved to a 29" rigid single speed, then added a 80mm fork and now a 11-34t cassette and a short cage derailleur. This works for all of the riding I do, but I don't even touch a lot of the stuff that is out there. I don't know if the bike or the skills are holding me back.

not that I am financially in any position to buy a new bike, but what might it be like to move to a more AM/trail hardtail from where I am now? I would love to try riding a Nimble 9 or something like that if I could find one.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by MrMentallo View Post
    I ride Brushy Creek weekly on a 150mm travel hardtail. I like to huck ledges too. That's what dropper posts are for. My Ragley looks almost like a dirt jumper with a long fork on it. You'd be surprised at what you can do on a hardtail that has the right geometry and set up. Mine has a 66.5 degree head angle and short seat stays. Way stable at speed downhill without making to many handling sacrifices. Yeah I could climb more efficiently and go faster over things like the RGOG at Pace Bend or the Devil's Staircase at CP on a full squishy, but I'm perfectly content on my burly hardtail (for now). It's stronger than I am.
    i didnt say it wasnt possible becuase obviously people do it, yourself included. but ive been riding a FS since 2007 and cant imagine ever going back to a hardtail. FS just makes the ride more enjoyable for me because it allows me to go faster, more comfrotably.

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by sooner518 View Post
    i didnt say it wasnt possible becuase obviously people do it, yourself included. but ive been riding a FS since 2007 and cant imagine ever going back to a hardtail. FS just makes the ride more enjoyable for me because it allows me to go faster, more comfrotably.
    Exactly! I started in 1993 in New Hampshire on a fully rigid Stumpjumper M2 that was STIFF. Added front suspension (dinosaur Manitou elastomer suspension that is) and it was a whole new world. Picked up the "banana bike" Y-33 in 1995 and was a convert of "full-squish" for life. Ended up on a Scandium Rocky Mountain Element Team SC before quitting the sport in college (dual-major + full-time job meant I could ride 3hrs or sleep 3hrs).

Got back into the sport after ending up in Austin. Picked up the Ibis Mojo SL and have absolutely loved it. Really tempted to see how 29" wheels would work with the endless baby heads and other rocks around here though. My spine hurts just imagining being on a hardtail on some of the trails around here. Then again, I can't understand why folks run single-speeds either. Regardless of what folks ride though, we all just love being out there and can all agree on loving the sport. That's the only part that matters.

Austin, Texas
    I started riding back in late 2005 when I bought a WalMart Mongoose Blackcomb. I dished out about $350 I think, and thought I was spending some big money. I still have that bike, and love to ride it on occasions to really make me work at it. It weighs around 55lbs I think. What a workout, and the looks I get when I rumble by sounding like a garbage truck are priceless!

A year or so later I got a Jamis Dakar Sport FS. That bike has morphed through the years in to my Frankenstein 26" Yeti ASR5 FS. It's my "fast" bike and I like to ride it at some of the smoother tracks around.

My primary bike, though, is a 2011 29" Specialized FSR Stumpjumper. It's my go everywhere, anytime bike. Built like a brick sh*thouse, smooth, sturdy, tough. If I had to just have one of my bikes, it would certainly be this one.

For your situation, if I were new to the Central Texas area and was going to have one bike for everything, I would go with a lighter, faster, fully suspended 29er. Unless you just LIKE it, the amount of rock around here would get old on a hard tail...quickly.
    Anyway...light, fast, FS, 29er. My .02

mtbr member
    If I am honest with myself, I ride a hardtail because I can't afford FS. just too damn expensive. there is no way I can justify that to myself, and even less likely that I can justify it to my wife. at the rate that I can safe enough money out of each paycheck to buy something like that, it would take me years, and that money goes into little things in the meantime.

I would gladly shred an old 1x9 26" FS bike but a steel 29" hardtail was a better long-term value for me. maybe in a year or two when I am making loads of money working part-time on other people's nice FS bikes, I will be able to afford it.

Austin, Texas
    I dig what you're saying MackTurtle! You ride what you can. Like I said, I started out on a WalMart bike. I was able to put together enough money for the Jamis FS a year later, and since (because of upgrades and the Jamis breaking) it turned into the Frankenstein. Five years later I bought the 29er. I kept the other bikes because I liked certain things about them. FS bikes can certainly be expensive, too expensive in most cases, but there are other avenues. My suggestion is for the OP as to what type of bike to ride in the Central Texas area, and I would suggest to anyone a FS 29er because of the terrain. I would suggest that people look on Craigslist for good prices on used gear. I just turned a buddy on not too long ago on a GREAT deal on a FS Niner. Anyway, ride whatcha can and enjoy my friend!

Team Livemedium
    first bike titus switchblade
    now voodoo canzo with crests
    Keep trying to do the awesomest thing you've ever done.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast