Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    2012 ellsworth evolution with 140mm.... mostly been riding deception lately.
    2013 Ibis Mojo HD Special Blend with dropper post, hope/stans wheelset and hope x2/m4 brakes

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by mack_turtle View Post

not that I am financially in any position to buy a new bike, but what might it be like to move to a more AM/trail hardtail from where I am now? I would love to try riding a Nimble 9 or something like that if I could find one.
    It makes a difference in stability on ledges and drops like at Brushy. Basket drop is easier to follow out of with a more slack head angle as it tends not to drift to the side as much as you travel through the transition. When I met you that one time, I was riding that old Jamis P.O.S. and it had a 71 degree head angle. I would crash 50% of the time on that drop because I had a hard time keeping the front wheel from drifting to the side. I would always end up in the grass before the tree on the left. Now that I have a less "twitchy" front end, I don't drift to the side as much on high speed transitions like that one where it is hard to correct mistakes at the speed it comes at you. I find it easier to huck things like Dare because of the added stability the slack head angle, longer chain stays and longer travel in the fork gives you. It enables more high speed stability at the expense of less responsive steering. Since I am still on a 26" bike, that's mitigated by wheel size. I have no problems at all taking all those tight turns on Picnic at higher speeds than on my old XC oriented bike. Some of the drawbacks to my set ups are the front end tends to lift on uphills. I use that to my advantage a bit when going up ledges and such, but on longer and looser climbs, the front end will be a little harder to keep on your line and will need to be locked out or switched to shorter travel if you have a fork that can do that. I tend to carve banked corners better and at higher speed than a shorter travel steeper head angled bike.

I also built my bike for cheap. The Ragley Blue Pig frame was right at $400 and the fork (Sektor R) was a steal at $190 including shipping. The rest of the parts were migrated over or nickeled and dimed a little at a time. I'm running that XT rear derailleur you gave me. Thanks! It works like a charm and has taken a beating.

Builder of Trails
    Feb 2004
    I ride a 26" and a 650B Trek Remedy 9.8 on all the trails I ride anywhere. Both are capable for the rocky stuff in Austin and overkill for SC, WC, etc. I like them b/c I can ride them almost anywhere, and, being that I travel with my bike for work, I need to be able to ride almost anywhere.

D

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by dburatti View Post
    I ride a 26" and a 650B Trek Remedy 9.8 on all the trails I ride anywhere. Both are capable for the rocky stuff in Austin and overkill for SC, WC, etc. I like them b/c I can ride them almost anywhere, and, being that I travel with my bike for work, I need to be able to ride almost anywhere.

D
    Any advantage of one versus the other for trails around here? I think City Park is the one place where I'd really like to see how 650B or 29" handled things (esp when its climbing the more technical rock face bits). Aside from that, still loving my 26".

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Pelly_NH View Post
    Any advantage of one versus the other for trails around here? I think City Park is the one place where I'd really like to see how 650B or 29" handled things (esp when its climbing the more technical rock face bits). Aside from that, still loving my 26".
    Uphill, at a place like CP, my RIP9 has the advantage. Those big wheels do make it easier to clean ledges. Smoother climbs, no real difference.

Going down, the way I describe each bike is that the RIP is easier to ride fast but my Remedy 26 has higher potential speed. To get that speed, you gotta be willing to pump, jump, carve and pick good lines. My RIP just kind of steamrolls everything on the way down; you can pick crappy lines and get bailed out.

Other random thoughts: I run the exact same tires on both bikes (Bonty XR4 / Maxxis Ardent) and I don't notice any differences in contact patch, grip or feel. The XR4 is mega grippy and the Ardent is drifty. My Remedy feels more nimble but is slacker and has a longer wheelbase. The RIP has longer chainstays but is easier to manual and wheelie. Guess the point I'm trying to make is that regardless of wheel size, there are a lot of factors to determine how a bike rides.

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    I used to think that the 29" wheels on my Rip 9 were a big advantage at city park. But it is in the shop for some headset work and I took the 26" Blur LT2 out to CP yesterday for a lap. Pulled in a :55.30 lap which is pretty close to my best Rip speed of :53. Generally there were a few ledge climbs that I missed (especially the one at 1.27 miles) that I normally make.

Both sizes have their advantages and disadvantages.
    Austin Mountain Biking and worldwide travel pictures:

http://www.austinbike.com

Builder of Trails
    Feb 2004
    I feel more confident on my 650B than my 26" bike even though I never felt not-confident on my 26er. This bike does everything I ask it to and is super fun to ride.

I have owned a carbon fiber Superfly 29er hard tail but didn't like the way it rode. It's definitely a race bike, and I'm not a racer. I like to ride technical trail. Also, I never took the time to learn to ride that bike. There was no learning curve going from the 26 to the 650. Yes, there is not much difference in wheel size, but the ride is definitely different.

D

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    I also think height comes into play in the overall geometry. There are probably optimal height ranges for all of these different sized bikes.

mtbr member
    I ride a Giant Anthem x 29. It is definitely on the racier side of the spectrum. I've found that every single modification I've made have been to make it more aggressive. Swapped the 100mm for a 120mm fork, dropper post, wider rims, 1x10, shorter stem, wider riser bar. I don't know what that says about me or the bike. I may be a little happier on a Trance or something that is supposed to be a little more aggressive, but I really like the way the Anthem pedals.

My previous bike was a Yeti 575 (26"). More travel, small wheels. I like the Anthem much better. The Yeti descended a little better, but I'd give up a little on the downs in order to slay the technical ups the way the Anthem can.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by CharacterZero View Post
    I'm a pretty big fan of active suspension for our rock climbing/descending. This knolly is a ripper (lemme know if you are interested in one, i'm not a shop but can most def help out)

Think I saw you at deception today, I was the one who said "Nice chilly".
    2013 Ibis Mojo HD Special Blend with dropper post, hope/stans wheelset and hope x2/m4 brakes

mtbr member

Re: Austin Riders - What are you riding?

Trek fuel ex9 carbon

Really thinking about building a 27.5 or a 29er fs up. I really like the Niner rip 9s. But the cannondale jekyll 27.5 is sick to.

Gonna do my homework before I start wasting money.

Ill keep this trek, its nice. Weighs 27.5 pounds, be a little lighter after I put the 1x9 on it.....

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk 2
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Austin Riders - What are you riding?-uploadfromtaptalk1401928701267.jpg  

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    If you ride a large, I have a RIP 9. Come out and ride the greenbelt and we can swap bikes for a while. Much better than riding it around the shop lot.

mtbr member

Quote Originally Posted by austin_bike View Post
    If you ride a large, I have a RIP 9. Come out and ride the greenbelt and we can swap bikes for a while. Much better than riding it around the shop lot.
    Hey thanks! I may take you up on that! I like the niner wfo as well. Just really want to experience a 29er fs.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk 2

mtbr member
    Mojo SL 140 front/130 rear, 650b Derby wide rims w/ burly tires, 1x10. HA is 68*, 67.5ish w/ offset shock bushings and 125mm rear. Fun fun fun fun bike w/ short wheelbase, 16.9 cstays, lively poppy ride. Think of it as a Santa Cruz Solo before the Solo existed... but with DW Link. Having light stiff wheels with a massive tire cross section running 18-24psi is freakin' awesome too.

Most of my riding is upper end BCGB, SW Pkwy, Ed's, etc. because it's in the neighborhood and I can hit some tasty singletrack and steep lines riding to and from work. I'm with CharacterZero....make it rocky with lots of ledges to launch...zero desire to trek to Walnut Creek, RHR, etc. and I love active suspension for the ups and downs. My next bike will be a burlier Ibis 27.5... an HDR, or...... On these trails it seems like 1/3 or more the bikes I see these days are Pivots...mostly 429s....also lots of Tallboys, and various Specialized and Trek 29ers.

I agree that shortish travel 29 FS is probably the best one bike fits all solution for Austin, and the Pivot Mach 429 and Ibis Ripley are the most capable bikes I've ridden for simply covering ground, rolling through chatter, and cleaning technical climbs...and they're good descenders and pretty lively feeling too...but still more businesslike than my bike. I think the ultimate one bike, when fun is priority one and you lean toward the rougher trails, has more travel, less wheel, shorter stays... as in, a 130-150ish 650b bike. I've had mine setup this way for a few years and it's such a blast. I'm not opposed to 26" in this format either, but the bigger wheels climb and roll the chatter better and help keep you fresher on long outings. Pelly, if you're riding stock suspension and 26" wheels on your Mojo you've just scratched the surface of that bike's capability and fun factor.... don't mean to sound like an ass, but I've gone through a lot of parts on 2 Mojos, and slacker w/ stout 650b wheels is my favorite setup by far.

And I absolutely agree that on a <$2k budget get a hardtail... AM style if you want to get rad, XC 29er if you're racing or frequent the faster smoother trails. I have not tried a new school slack n short 29er hardtail like a Yelli Screamy or a Niner ...what are they called...ROS? but I'd like to... looks like a fun package.
    Last edited by doismellbacon; 08-24-2014 at 08:47 PM.

mtbr member
    Niner MCR 9 currently 3x9 with 80mm fork.
    Last edited by tomcraw; 06-21-2014 at 04:41 PM.

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    There is a rash of high end bike thefts in Austin for the past year or so. Mostly road bikes but some high end mountain bikes have been taken as well. This thread is probably not a great idea.

mtbr member
    How would this thread hurt anybody? Do some people list their home address in their MTBR profile??

mtbr member
    No, but if a theif links a mtbr profile to a Strava or MapMyRide profile and follows the maps home, or finds the user's real name and looks it up on the county tax assessor's website, it would not be hard to find out where these bikes live.

mtbr member
    DOH! No sh!t! OK, I'll stop talking about my '88 Yakota with Deore and the blue smoke paint job.

What's that saying about outrunning a bear? The thieves will probably see CharacterZero's pics and hit him instead.

JK JK...that would really suck and I'd feel guilty if it happened just for having made a sarcastic joke.

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    I'm in a very similar situation as the OP, returning to Austin after several years bouncing around, most recently in western NC. Back in the day I frequented City Park, the green belt and Walnut Creek on a HT 26er ('01 Fisher Hoo Koo). I was 10 years younger, but I never had a problem at Emma Long on my HT 26er.

I'm in the market for an new bike and similar to a prior poster, I'm focusing on a HT mostly because of budget and riding style. Currently choosing between a Kona Kahuna DL and a Salsa El Mar 3. Apples and oranges, I know. I'm demoing them both next weekend and will likely decide mostly on feel.

Which of these do y'all feel would fare better in central Texas? I'm also open to other suggestions keeping in mind I'm aiming to stay under $1500, preferably for a HT 29er.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by hafester View Post
    Which of these do y'all feel would fare better in central Texas? I'm also open to other suggestions keeping in mind I'm aiming to stay under $1500, preferably for a HT 29er.
    I am in a similar situation, wanting to ride the chunky stuff around here with a very XC-oriented bike. I would opt for something more aggressive- short rear end, long fork, chunky tires, etc, so you can bomb all the wild stuff in the Greenbelt and Emma Long. I am thinking Canfield Nimble 9, Kona Honzo, Trek Stache, maybe a Surly Krampus if you're feeling saucy.

mtbr member

I am in a similar situation, wanting to ride the chunky stuff around here with a very XC-oriented bike. I would opt for something more aggressive- short rear end, long fork, chunky tires, etc, so you can bomb all the wild stuff in the Greenbelt and Emma Long. I am thinking Canfield Nimble 9, Kona Honzo, Trek Stache, maybe a Surly Krampus if you're feeling saucy.
    Screw that! Bombing anything on hardtails sucks!!!

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Maybe it sucks for you, but bombing stuff on a hardtail puts lead in your pencil.

mtbr member
    I built a nice El Mar for my son, 100mm XFusion fork, 2x10 SLX. It's a really nice bike. It is a VERY stiff frame...big tires run tubeless would be a necessity. If I were looking for a 29er HT for myself to ride at CP, upper end of BCGB, etc, I'd be leaning Mr. Turtle's way.

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by doismellbacon View Post
    I built a nice El Mar for my son, 100mm XFusion fork, 2x10 SLX. It's a really nice bike. It is a VERY stiff frame...big tires run tubeless would be a necessity. If I were looking for a 29er HT for myself to ride at CP, upper end of BCGB, etc, I'd be leaning Mr. Turtle's way.
    Input much appreciated, y'all.

I demoed a Kona Kahuna Deluxe and El Mar this weekend on one of the rockiest local trails. I wanted to love the El Mar, but I liked the feel of both equally and as the Kahuna already has the 2x10 drivetrain I want, I'm leaning that direction.

I figured I can always make the jump to FS in a year or two if I get into the real chunky stuff and have a little more padding in the piggy bank.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2