mtbr member
    Dec 2012

Austin ride Sunday morning (Greenbelt), San Marcos Sat. afternoon (purg. creek)

can someone show me the cool **** at greenbelt sunday morning? would really like to know where they are

also, dropping gf off at san marcos sat...i'd much rather die in the heat biking than go shopping, so if anyone is interested in purg creek (unless there are any other trails in the area), then meet me out there some time probably around 3 or 4

EDIT: skipping san marcos so will ride austin this afternoon and tomorrow morning
    Last edited by sinfony78; 07-05-2014 at 08:01 AM.

mtbr member
    Bummer... I live near BCGB...If I'd seen your message I would have volunteered... and then stood you up, because I got food poisoning last night! lol. So bored I'm watching the tour stage FOR THE SECOND TIME. Ugghh. So wanted to shred this morning.

PM me next time you're in the neighborhood... I can show you some goodies.

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    thanks bacon, i'll be sure to PM early...this was a last minute trip

i've ridden greenbelt before but stayed on the main trail, and it's been a really long time...i tried finding some side trails but didn't have too much luck...dropped in at barton springs and rode that for a while..ended up on the left side of the creek for a bit, but ended up having to walk a lot of it probably after a quarter of the way, so i headed to the other side...also did the rocky trail that leads up to the running/gravel trails by via fortuna street off of mopac

then finished off the day on the regular trail climbing what i'm assuming is the hill of life (that leads to camp craft road)...i spent a ton of time hike-a-biking on the left side for a while that i decided to just head on out quickly on the main trail as it was headed towards sunset

not a very pleasant ride all in all as it was frustrating hiking and getting snagged and cut by overgrowth and jumping back on the saddle only to hit a downed tree or rock ledges that i couldn't traverse

would like to make my way to the toys 'r us if i could ever find it, i heard there were some "new" features out there (last time i dropped in that area was nigh on 10 years ago)

mtbr member

Austin ride Sunday morning (Greenbelt), San Marcos Sat. afternoon (purg. creek)

Yeah, all my very first Mtb experiences started at Zilker, but I almost never ride that end of the trail anymore...kinda sucky for the first mile or two IMO and over crowded. Starting at the 360 access or other upstream points is mo beta.
    Yep, Toys r us has grown some, and there are some sweet trails off of the hill of life ( Ed's Bowl...which you glimpsed heading up to Camp Croft) and also across the creek from there, but WAY easy to get totally turned around...or just plain whipped....if you like rocky and technical you'll eat them up, if not it might be a bit of a slog.
    Give me a shout.

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    i completely missed ed's bowl...i was at the end of my 2nd bike ride that day, and the hill was wearing me out so i wasn't really looking around

i'm down for anything really...i'd even be happy working on climbing hill of life all without taking a breather if that was all greenbelt had to offer

i probably won't be back in austin till the weather cools down a bit, but i plan on going often once it does...will hit u up sept/oct-ish

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    I generally have a pretty flexible schedule and know ~45 of the 50+ miles of the GB. I can promise you that, from your description, you missed all of the good stuff.

Ping me if you are back in town. With 24-48 hours of advance notice I can arrange my schedule. Finishing up a remodeling job now and spending most of my time shuttling back and forth to keep things on schedule.
    Austin Mountain Biking and worldwide travel pictures:

http://www.austinbike.com

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    i'll be sure to get in touch with both of you early next time i plan on coming out there...glad to know i hit nothing fun, because i was about to give up on greenbelt

mtbr member
    Did you ever find the fun parts of the green belt? I've heard about it but haven't made my way out there yet & wouldn't know where to go.

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    nope however I may be going to Austin weekend of August first. I messaged bacon and Austin bike and they are only available Sunday. I am going to try to make sure I can get free Sunday morning to meet up with them if you'd like to join. May do Emma long or brushy creek on that Sat too

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by sinfony78 View Post
    nope however I may be going to Austin weekend of August first. I messaged bacon and Austin bike and they are only available Sunday. I am going to try to make sure I can get free Sunday morning to meet up with them if you'd like to join. May do Emma long or brushy creek on that Sat too
    I wouldn't mind going. I don't know anyone who knows the trail myself. I migrated here from Cali so I am having to learn all the local trails. If you have time, send me a message.