mtbr member

austin greenbelt riders

what entrances does everyone take to get into the greenbelt? I've been using the one close to Southwest parkway but it gets pretty rocky.... which is awesome

Fat Biker
    Aug 2006
    I always enter at the Zilker Pool parking lot so I can go swimming after a good ride but most everyone else I know starts at the MoPac 360 parking lot.

XC racer
    May 2005
    When I come in from out of town, I always park at Zilker for convenience, then my local buds meet me there. Our route is usually a basic to Hill of Life and back with some side stuff mixed in sometimes. If you're local, you already know this, but I think the GB can be confusing to a newcomer and it really helps to have a guide along to get the most out of it.

mtbr member
    Usually at the pump house in Travis Country. Sometimes Spyglass, sometimes 360 parking lot

mtbr member
    I use the entrances off of Mopac & 360...it's convenient for me since I live on that side of town.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007

Trails in Austin

I recently moved to Round Rock, TX from Wash. DC, where are the best trails in the area?

Thanks,
    Brett

mtbr member
    Brett,

Check out the Austin ridge rider's website Area Trails and Conditions | Austin Ridge Riders for information on all the local trails. I think the trail nearest you is walnut creek, which is a pretty nice one.

Quote Originally Posted by brett ferguson View Post
    I recently moved to Round Rock, TX from Wash. DC, where are the best trails in the area?

Thanks,
    Brett

MoJo Moto
    Brett;

Check out Austin Bike's web site....

AB has it going on...
    Ride Hard or Ride Home Alone.

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    He doesn't know anything.

But...if you are in most parts of Austin, you are best to drop in at the loop 360 entrance (3755 S. Captial of Texas Highway).

You can drop in at Zilker or spyglass, but, realistically, the trail from Zilker to the loop 360 entrance is pretty crappy. You can start at 360 and head downstream to hit ******** and ******** then turn around and head upstream from there. Both the north side and the south side have lots to choose from 95% of the good stuff is upstream from 360, so that is the best place.

If you live SW you can drop in at moonshadow/regents and you are midway through the good stuff on the south side.

If you live west, dropping in at scottish woods is the top of the hill of life and you are about halfway through most of the north side stuff.

Allegedly.
    Austin Mountain Biking and worldwide travel pictures:

http://www.austinbike.com

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    I could have sworn I read something awhile back about a spot on the greenbelt where a trail kicked out really close to a good spot to grab a cold beer. Was this just wishful thinking on my part? Can't seem to find where I saw that listed...

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Some fencing and a mud slide have recently made things interesting from lost creek

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    and by interesting i mean bad.