mtbr member
    Nov 2011

In Austin for a few days and need someone to ride with who knows Barton

I will be in Austin from Thursday until Tuesday night and would like to ride Barton. Looking to get two rides in, will be renting a bike (cheaper than flying mine) and would like to ride for three hours minimum each time ideally. Firday and any other day after that would be perfect. It doesnt have to be Barton I am just looking for something that is chunky/knarly rather than smooth singletrack. I would be grateful for any help you can offer!!

Patrick

mtbr member
    watch the weather. you might end up having to rent a road bike instead. I was at BCGB on Monday. The creek is full so connecting a lot of the trails means taking a little swim. all the higher ground is dry but it looks like it's going to rain again in the next day or two.

mtbr member
    May 2013
    When do you think Walnut Creek'll be dry enough to ride? Looking to come in from Houston.

mtbr member
    it rained last night, and it's supposed to rain every day for the next few days. check the weather forecast for Austin. it takes a few days for everything to dry up in this temperature, so it looks like it will be dry no sooner than this time next week.

mtbr member
    if the weather permits and if you wanna ride tomorrow we can meet in the afternoon for a ride in Emma Long city park, it might be a little wet but still rideable. The trail is a motorcycle trail so you have to yield to motorcyclists but don't let that scare you off because they are usually heard and few and far in between.

mtbr member
    everything in the area is soaked. it's been pissing rain for days. no one is getting any riding in any time soon.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Agreed. Rent a road bike. It's not worth it to ride with the kind of mud we will be having. I wouldn't ride at all before Sunday.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by MrMentallo View Post
    Agreed. Rent a road bike. It's not worth it to ride with the kind of mud we will be having. I wouldn't ride at all before Sunday.
    Rprtexas.com is about an hour north of atx. It will be fine to ride mtnbikes and worth the trip. Open fri, sat, sun i believe

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Back east now and did not get to ride during my stay. I wound up just getting a day pass at pure Austin to get some pedaling in. And I got off the plane last night here at home to, you guessed it rain! Thanks for all the suggestions I am sure to use some of the info when I back in 2014.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by MrMentallo View Post
    Is this still the status of Austin trails?

Leaving from Beaumont in an hour for the weekend. Really wanted to bring the bikes since we hardly get to do any riding down here.

Would love to ride Sat and Sun, even if the trails aren't perfect, but don't want to tear them up of course.
    2012 Trek Cobia
    1992 Trek Multi-Track 750

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Some of the trails should be fine by the weekend.

mtbr member
    Thanks! I'll pack em up and hope for the best.
    2012 Trek Cobia
    1992 Trek Multi-Track 750

mtbr member
    rpr is the place to go...
    Just looking for a ride!
    Trek Ex 8

@mattwelton

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    RPR and Pace Bend are both good to go. City Park (Emma Long) is good to ride, but a little wet. Had a blast there yesterday. Walnut and Brushy Creek are still too wet and muddy. That doesn't stop the jagoffs from rutting it up though. Lakeway is fine.

mtbr member
    CP was fun the other day, but still a little wet.
    Just looking for a ride!
    Trek Ex 8

@mattwelton