mtbr member

Austin bike shops

what bike shops in the Austin area do you like? What shops have the best staff and service?

i don't want to start an argument thread, just curious about the atmosphere in Austin.

govt kontrakt projkt mgr
    Bicycle Sport Shop is the one I usually frequent--on the rare time that I do. Also been in Performance and Nelos and Mellow Johnnies and even bought a bike at University once. All good places. But I prefer Tri-city in Belton.

Austin, Texas
    One of those mentioned by Army I wouldn't touch with a ten foot pole ever again. Can't stand them. Unpleasant customer service a majority of the time, very spotty and sometimes terrible mechanical work. Maybe they've changed in the several years that I have refused to go in there.

I've dealt with many, many bike shops here in Austin, and I would agree with Army that Bicycle Sport Shop is the one that I do all of my business with. When I first went there, I was a bit put off with the fact that they don't work with you on prices for their bikes very much, if at all. I was told that their service and care make up for some cheaper prices. I swallowed hard and bought a bike there anyway, and man am I happy I did. These folks take CARE of you big time. Over and over they have bent over backwards to help me in anyway they can. I have since bought another bike from them for my wife, and they just built up a bike for me as well. Great folks, and great shop.

mtbr member
    Texas Cycle Werks has always been my go to shop in Austin. Steve and Phillip know do their stuff, and I've always been happy with their quality of work.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    I would recommend Austin Tri-Cyclist, they have two locations one near downtown and just opened a second out on 360 near the bridge. They have great mechanics and they carry Cannondale, I am a huge fan of the lefty personally as well as Cannondale so that helps with my decision. I have also experienced them work with customers on prices for bikes (with in reason). I would definitely go to ATC!

mtbr member
    Jan 2011

Austin bike shops

I like cycle progression. Mostly because i havnt had any bad experience with their service or prices. Which i cant say of some of the other shops in town. They are small, but i like supporting the smaller shops.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012

Re: Austin bike shops

Quote Originally Posted by smokehouse4444 View Post
    One of those mentioned by Army I wouldn't touch with a ten foot pole ever again. Can't stand them. Unpleasant customer service a majority of the time, very spotty and sometimes terrible mechanical work. Maybe they've changed in the several years that I have refused to go in there.

Would you mind telling us which one it is?

govt kontrakt projkt mgr
    I am going to guess it was University... I bought a Giant back there in 2002 but haven't been in the shop since.

Quote Originally Posted by trevor_b View Post
    Would you mind telling us which one it is?

mtbr member

Re: Austin bike shops

Atx bikes, i go up there just to bs. Great guys, great service.

sent from my galaxy tab 2

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    I won't step foot in a bicycle sport shop. I've had nothing but bad service and unqualified techs. There prices don't reflect better support in my experience.
    I stick with bucks on 183 and the gateway rei (ken is a cool dude)

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by smokehouse4444 View Post

I've dealt with many, many bike shops here in Austin, and I would agree with Army that Bicycle Sport Shop is the one that I do all of my business with. When I first went there, I was a bit put off with the fact that they don't work with you on prices for their bikes very much, if at all. I was told that their service and care make up for some cheaper prices. I swallowed hard and bought a bike there anyway, and man am I happy I did. These folks take CARE of you big time. Over and over they have bent over backwards to help me in anyway they can. I have since bought another bike from them for my wife, and they just built up a bike for me as well. Great folks, and great shop.
    +1 to that. They really work with you on service, will do a quick thing for free if they arent busy etc. I feel bad that I didnt buy my bike there, but not bad enough to have spend 1500 more.

I have used bucks too if Im getting a ton of work done because it is less expensive.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012

Austin bike shops

Heard good things about Joe at Monkey Wrench in Austin too.

mtbr member
    generally use BSS but i do most of my wrench work myself. on the few times ive had them do stuff, they were pretty reasonable.

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    I use BSS and ozone for my repairs. I buy from university, mellow Johnny's and performance (only because that is a block from work).

The key is knowing the mechanics. They know my bike and take care of me. But I do a lot of my own work whenever I can.
    Austin Mountain Biking and worldwide travel pictures:

http://www.austinbike.com

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by berettadave View Post
    Heard good things about Joe at Monkey Wrench in Austin too.
    +1. Good guy. Great attitude. Strong service skills. He gets out there and rides what he sells.

That said, I also like the Peddler at 51st & Duval, Windmill over on Manor and look forward to trying out Cycleast there off of East 7th.

Positively negative
    Mar 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Chaffer View Post
    +1. Good guy. Great attitude. Strong service skills. He gets out there and rides what he sells.

That said, I also like the Peddler at 51st & Duval, Windmill over on Manor and look forward to trying out Cycleast there off of East 7th.
    I probably shouldn't say anything because my opinion is going to be biased but the experiences I have had with Joe I was less then impressed. On one occasion I actually had to save a bike he all but ruined because he clearly didn't know what he was doing. Needless to say I wouldn't let him work on my bike.

Team Livemedium
    I was getting a bro a bd present and called BSS which lured me in with white salsa QR seatclamps over the phone (which they don't make I was told once I made the drive),but they do have silver. When I told them there was another white one out there, they told me they wouldnt trust any other brand. Got one from ebay then that never slipped. CP ran two chains together on a 29er build that was too much chain and the cage was up too high. Had to remove some links. The Peddler had a rider at MellowClassic that smelled so bad I let him by and even slowed as to not gag mid race. Got many misc parts from Performance North over the years, but Joe Ender at Monkeywrench is the only wrench I trust now. Built my Canzo up like butter, and does incredible work for very reasonable rates. I can do most things myself but he is a ninja. Their team is cool too.
    Keep trying to do the awesomest thing you've ever done.

Austin, Texas
    Sorry, just saw this. You are correct Army, I wouldn't go back to University if they paid me. Extremely condensed story: Dad and I bought two mid level Jamis' there. Neither one of us had a problem with the bikes, but I went in after 6 months to get the "tune-up" that came with the purchase. It was almost as if the guy intentionally screwed the bike up. Terrible. Took it back twice. Apparently the guy was used to bullying people...I don't bully real well and he was forced to deal with it. This happened several times. The owner called me to apologize after several run-ins and put me with a different mechanic, who promptly (in a very irritated voice) asked, "What exactly do you want me to do with this thing". I said, "How about simply make it run like it should". Still never worked correctly. Much longer story involving a new build, but I'll leave it at that. I haven't been there in several years because I found another Jamis dealer to go to about warranty issues, so it is possible that they have done an about face...but they won't get that chance from me.

Someone mentioned ATX and I agree; Brett is a great guy and works hard. Nice small shop.

mtbr member
    I started this thread because I am moving to Austin in two weeks and I will be looking for a job at a bike shop. thanks for the input. I'll be in town around June 16. After that, I'll probably see you at the trails!

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    If you can build a wheel, then I can tell you where to work. I hate having to take something back after one ride because they can't freaking build a simple wheel.
    Austin Mountain Biking and worldwide travel pictures:

http://www.austinbike.com

mtbr member
    I build wheels in my sleep. I can do it better while awake, but seriously, it's one of my favorite tasks.

mtbr member
    Austinbikes on 5th street is my favorite. Nelo's would be my second choice.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    I wasnt impressed with University either. Went in there to buy a sb95 and they treated me like I was an idiot. Took another bike there to have headset cups pressed in and they actd like I was burdening them for the three minutes it takes to press the cups in. Havent been back since. BSS is okay.. hit or miss but my favorite place is Southwest Cyclesports in beecaves. Everyone who works there is nice and knowledgeable. I spend a lot of money on bikes at these shops and when they notice and toss a few screws or bolts my way for free they end up grtting a lifelong customer.
    2013 Ibis Mojo HD Special Blend with dropper post, hope/stans wheelset and hope x2/m4 brakes

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Canyon Cycles in Dripping Springs is worth the drive. Shane is awesome.

I also like Cycle Progression. Small shops!

BSS stocks more than anyone else, so they sometimes get business if I need it quick.

Austin, Texas
    Just met Shane the other day after a ride at Reimer's. Seems like a good guy. I drive by his place all the time when going into Drippin', so I need to stop in and check it out.