mtbr member

Anywhere in Texas That Can Repair Shorts

It appears that making decent repairs to lycra shorts is an art form left to the experienced. I just tore a brand new pair of really nice bib shorts on the first ride (also happened to be a long time since my last crash). Anyways, that kind of s%$# happens. I would like to see if there are any Texas shops that specialize in repairs to outdoor gear. I found a shop in Portland, OR that specializes in such repairs, but would rather stay Texan if I could. Let me know if you have tried, or at least know of a shop that could help me out. Thanks.
    Making Milk by Day, Beer by Night

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    The folks at REI can tell you where to get just about anything fixed.

mtbr member
    I ended up sending them to Mountain Soles in Oregon. They are a business set up to make repairs to all kinds of outdoor gear, shoes, and clothing. I was really surprised that there aren't any places like Mountain Soles in the Austin area.

Mountain Soles & Outdoor Threads

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    Did you try your local dry cleaner? Many dry cleaners also do alterations and some of those folks are pretty darn good at repairs for all kinds of fabric. I have repaired short sometimes by pirating some fabric from an old pair that was toast but still had some good swatches of fabric. You cut the patch and sew it inside, then zig-zag stitch over the whole thing for a good tight patch.

I have also torn up some gear over the years. Branches can rip your jerseys sleeves quite handily when you are JRA. I have dedicated mtb clothing (pre-torn) and the newer stuff is reserved for road riding.

good luck!

mtbr member
    I live in Friona, TX. BFE is the next town over. Local dry cleaner's have a hard time not burning the buttons off my dress shirts, let alone knowing what kind of stitching is needed for a repair on cycling shorts. Sorry, but I have little faith in trusting my $120 bike shorts to inexperienced repairs.

mtbr member
    For what it's worth, Mountain Soles & Outdoor Threads in Oregon did an exceptional job. They exceeded my expectations with a truly professional patch. They even matched the styling details as much as possible. The price was a bit high $25, but worth it on this particular pair of shorts which I plan to use long into the future.