mtbr member
    Jun 2011

Anything in Dallas worth bringing a MTB from Arkansas?

My wife and I are going to Dallas for a few days, and we are thinking about bringing the bikes to hit a trail for little exercise. Is there anything in the Dallas area that is a "must"?

Oh, I've GOT bike money
    There are a lot of great trails in the Dallas area. What type of riding are you looking for? Erwin Park in McKinney is a fun trail and is not too difficult other than the expert section at the end (which you can bypass). Rowlett Creek has more miles and more optional difficult loops. It's got a little bit of everything - flats, switchbacks in the woods, steep hills, creek crossings, and loop 13 is even rocky (actually I believe it's mostly broken up concrete, but it works).

My personal favorite is Johnson Branch which is an hour north of Dallas. The red loop has lots of rocky climbs and is very challenging. Northshore at Lake Grapevine has quite a bit of rock as well.

Check out DORBA for more info: http://www.dorba.org/trails.php

I noticed that the DORBA site is down at the moment, but hopefully it will be back up shortly.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by ArTech View Post
    My wife and I are going to Dallas for a few days, and we are thinking about bringing the bikes to hit a trail for little exercise. Is there anything in the Dallas area that is a "must"?
    Big Cedar.

maps.google.com/maps/ms?msa=0&msid=118150861771631796684.00043931ec2c369921309&ie=UTF8&z=9

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Absolutely. Most would probably say Big Cedar is the most demanding trail in the area but there are plenty others that are worth checking out. I live right by SMU so I typically go to Oak Cliff or Northshore as they're the closest being 15-20min away. I'd say both are intermediate level trails with Northshore having some pretty technical rocky sections that you may have to walk.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    There is about a dozen trails in the DFW area. Check out DORBA for a complete list of trail and information.
    2007 FS KHS XC104
    2012 FS Yeti SB95 (Race/XT)
    2013 HT Cannondale Trail 7
    2013 HT Specialized Hardrock Sport (the commuter)

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by bike_Ninja View Post
    Big Cedar.

maps.google.com/maps/ms?msa=0&msid=118150861771631796684.00043931ec2c369921309&ie=UTF8&z=9
    What he said.

mtbr member
    Big Cedar or Northshore. no question

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Being that you're coming from AR, I'm assuming that your a Womble regular.
    Of course, there is nothing like that here. But as others have suggested, Big Cedar and Northshore are the crown jewels in Dallas. If you're up for a 45 minute drive Sansom park in Ft. Worth is definitely worth a visit.
    As you can imagine there isn't much sustained climbing, although Big Cedar and Sansom will make your lungs hurt while mixing in some fun downhill and fast flowy sections. Northshore is a bit flatter, but has some great flowy sections as well as some challenging rocky/rooty tech sections.
    Brink the bikes!
    -Carlos

Flux