mtbr member

Anyone with Trek Remedy in SW Texas?

I'm considering The Remedy it vs a Trek Fuel EX.

Does anyone ride a newer Trek Remedy in SW Texas?

Looking for riders with experience on the San Antonio and Austin area trails with a Trek Remedy.

My friends use a Trek Fuel EX and does very well on the same trails I ride like Flat Rock Ranch or Canyon Lake near SA.

However I also want a bike more confident at pointing down for 5 foot drops and up to 10 foot drops, yet can also ride XC trails without hating it.

Does anyone prefer 29 vs 27.5 on these trails?

Builder of Trails
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Trail_Blazer View Post
    I'm considering The Remedy it vs a Trek Fuel EX.

Does anyone ride a newer Trek Remedy in SW Texas?

Looking for riders with experience on the San Antonio and Austin area trails with a Trek Remedy.

My friends use a Trek Fuel EX and does very well on the same trails I ride like Flat Rock Ranch or Canyon Lake near SA.

However I also want a bike more confident at pointing down for 5 foot drops and up to 10 foot drops, yet can also ride XC trails without hating it.

Does anyone prefer 29 vs 27.5 on these trails?
    I ride a 26" 2012 Remedy 9.8 in the Austin area and love it. I've ridden it only at Brushy Creek, Walnut Creek, City Park, Lake Georgetown, and the Slaughter creek trail. Some of those are comparable to Flat Rock and Canyon Lake, both of which I've ridden many, many times. The 26" Remedy is very capable of handling everything those trails offer. I like it b/c I can take it to CO or UT and ride a bunch of stuff there since it's an all mountain bike. My fork has a lock out, too, which helps with climbing.

I've ridden the 650B Remedy but not in TX and LOVED it even more. But that's just me. I don't like 29ers, though my experience is limited on them.

On a related note, I'll be selling my Remedy soon for a great price. It's stock save for new XR4 tubeless tires and a Kashiuma coated DRCV Fox shock in the rear. PM me if you;re interested in test riding it even if you're not considering buying it. Edit: the rear derailleur is NOT a Shadow Plus, but just an XT.

Dewayne

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    I rented a 2014 Remedy 650b in early December and loved it. I took it to City Park and Walnut Creek here in Austin and loved it. The rear end was freaking great. It tracks well while braking hard in chunder and doesn't bottom out on banked turns. It handled small bumps like butter and ramped up well for larger hits. The shop I rented it from set it up neutral and I turned the rebound up two clicks. The rear is nearly indistinguishable from the DW Link on the Turner Flux I've recently rented. And that's the best one I have ridden. Same smooth action and adherent behavior under braking and big hits. It's a Fox Factory float CTD with Trek's proprietary DRCV valving. I never had to take it out of Descend mode. It got to the point that while climbing, I almost forgot I was on a full suspension bike. Sitting was indistinguishable from a hardtail. Standing and really jamming the pedals had minimal bob and if you purposely compressed the rear just as you were clearing a ledge, when it rebounded, it gives you a little boost over the edge. Just like pumping a pump track.

The fork was a Fox Factory Float 34 CTD and was pretty smooth. I only bottomed it out once, but it was on a three foot drop to flat and I weigh 200 lbs. If I were to buy a Remedy 9 right now, I would immediately take the fork off and replace it with a Pike. For this application, it's the best fork on the market. You could sell the Fox shock as a new take off and make most if not all of your money back. There is really nothing wrong with the Fox Float 34 Kashima it comes with, but if I am paying just under $5000 for a bike, I want the best. And the Pike is just a bit better at around if not just under the same cost.

This bike is a great bike as it comes. It carves like a knife, climbs like a goat and when you sit on the bike, you feel like you are sitting in the bike instead of on top of it. It does fit a bit small as Trek is doing the same thing Devinci is doing and quoting a "virtual top tube length" and basing their size on it. This almost gives a preconception of the bike being a bit small and having to compensate by either getting a stem that may be longer than you like messing around with the handling or getting a size larger playing with how your pedals work and feel. This didn't really bother me too much, but to some people that are much more touchier about their specs, it's an annoyance. All I know is that the bike rocks.

I really like the Bontrager Team Issue XR4 tires and the Bonty rims that come as stock are solid as a rock. I took drops on this bike that would have taco'd regular XC rims. The tires cornered as well as Ardents I have ridden and that's as a round profile tire. I was very impressed with them.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    I ride a 2012 Remedy 7 (26") all over Austin but mostly on the greenbelt. The stock fork and wheels were not burly enough for what the rest of the bike can handle. I swapped them out for a Marz 55CR and some Novatec Diablos.

Climbing wise, its better than average but not world-beating. Its not an XC bike. However, going down is a different story. The bike craves speed; the faster you go, the better it gets. It takes a serious amount of commitment to get near the bikes limits. I will +1 Mentello's comment on the XR4; its a seriously good front tire on any bike.

mtbr member
    Thanks for the reply greenblur and MrMentallo.