mtbr member

Anyone in the DFW area interested in Tutoring/Riding one on one with a newbie?

I originally posted this in the Beginner's Corner Thread but it seems I might have better luck posting for people in the area I am actually located! Dallas/Fort Worth Area. More specifically, Arlington, Texas.

I feel really silly writing this!I am very new to the sport of Mountain Biking. I wanted to get into it to have a fun, healthy hobby and it also seemed exciting. I really like the idea of being able to travel to different courses and learning them and meeting new people in the biking community. BUT I am just not there yet. . The first dirt trail I went out on was this weekend at River Legacy Park. I was enjoying getting used to riding on a non paved trail. I quickly came to some jumps and groups of more experienced riders and long story short, I siked myself out. I am not afraid of eventually climbing or descending, jumping or anything else but I honestly need to build up to it. I felt silly staying behind but I still need help even switching gears correctly.I know there will be oppurtunity for injuries and I am game for all that but I felt jumping head first into something that extreme would ...well lead me to having a broken neck.
    I want to enjoy this and make it a life long love. I know there are group clinics that I can attend in a month or so but I am having a bit of anxiety with the group thing.Just looking for a friendly, patient person willing to meet up and ride with to help me get the hang of this. I have been taking it out trying to just ride around and getting a feel for it but really want to know some of the technical stuff and also to get over the fear of doing bigger and better things.

Please help! Even if you only wish to offer tips, I am all ears.

Thanks in advance.
    Last edited by Ambear; 03-19-2013 at 02:23 PM.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Ambear View Post
    I originally posted this in the Beginner's Corner Thread but it seems I might have better luck posting for people in the area I am actually located! Dallas/Fort Worth Area. More specifically, Arlington, Texas.

I feel really silly writing this!I am very new to the sport of Mountain Biking. I wanted to get into it to have a fun, healthy hobby and it also seemed exciting. I really like the idea of being able to travel to different courses and learning them and meeting new people in the biking community. BUT I am just not there yet. . The first dirt trail I went out on was this weekend at River Legacy Park. I was enjoying getting used to riding on a non paved trail. I quickly came to some jumps and groups of more experienced riders and long story short, I siked myself out. I am not afraid of eventually climbing or descending, jumping or anything else but I honestly need to build up to it. I felt silly staying behind but I still need help even switching gears correctly.I know there will be oppurtunity for injuries and I am game for all that but I felt jumping head first into something that extreme would ...well lead me to having a broken neck.
    I want to enjoy this and make it a life long love. I know there are group clinics that I can attend in a month or so but I am having a bit of anxiety with the group thing.Just looking for a friendly, patient person willing to meet up and ride with to help me get the hang of this. I have been taking it out trying to just ride around and getting a feel for it but really want to know some of the technical stuff and also to get over the fear of doing bigger and better things.

Thanks in advance.
    Maybe the local mountain bike clubs would be a source of help. DORBA.org and FWMBA.org have forums and rides. Hang out with them.
    Rick Ankrum
    www.texbiker.net
    Texas Bicycling News, Events and Experiences

TXTony
    Check you messages...I sent you one..I have a pretty weird schedule that lets me work 12 hr shifts so I get days off during the week and ride a lot during the week...kind of hard to find people to ride with on some of my days off as most of my friends work normal people hours...so I go solo a lot during the week...if you ever want to meet up around Gateway I can meet you there..that would be a good trail for a starting point.

mtbr member
    Thanks. I plan to go to a DORBA clinic soon so that will help. I guess I just need to get over being nervous in a group. I guess it's all about having fun.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    DFW mountain bikers are extremely helpful and down to earth. They wont mind helping you with questions you have.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    I can ride any day between noon and about 4:00. I ride SS because I'm too stupid to shift gears though, so I may not be much help in that area.

mtbr member
    We are headed out to CHSP around 1 today. Fun and beginner friendly trail.

Today will be a slow, nature type ride as my legs are dead and my riding buddy took all winter off and it will be his first time back on the bike.

mtbr member
    Ah Thanks anyway. The scheduling won't work out for me really.

mtbr member
    Well thanks, I didn't see this until today. I have a desk job M-F 8-4:30. Bummer.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    sent you a pm

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by djandyszontagh View Post
    DFW mountain bikers are extremely helpful and down to earth. They wont mind helping you with questions you have.
    sent you a pm

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Ambear View Post

Thanks in advance.
    Take your time and build up your skills gradually, you were smart to pass on the stuff you weren't comfortable with. Their is a great book called " Mastering mountain biking skills " by Brian Lopes and Lee McCormack that will teach you a lot about mountain bike riding. I wish I that book was around when I started.

Start off on easy courses and gradually build your skill and confidence. Riding in a group can be fun but if they are more advanced than you are you could put yourself at risk by throwing caution to the wind and getting in over your head.

Also consider buying some protection ( padding or body armor ) and wear it when you ride, chances are it will boost your confidence. If you crash with armor on usually you hardly even feel the crash and you can jump right back on your bike and carry on. Most of the body armor available now is not that obvious, you can wear a football jersey over it and it's likely that no none will notice.

Starting out riding with one other person ( that is patient ) is a good idea. Mountain biking is a fantastic, health inducing hobby, you made a good choice ! The reasons you listed for wanting to learn MTB are exactly what mountain biking will give you and more.

Have fun and be safe !
    I'd rather be riding than healing, body armor is your friend !

mtbr member
    Thank you so much for this. I will definitely invest in some body armor.

Magically Delicious
    We might be available to offer some assistance or direct you some friends that can. While reading your post, it appears that you're just getting started, but exhibit a willingness to explore your boundaries. You have certainly been given some good advice in riding within your comfort levels. However, we improve our riding skills by carefully pushing those comfort levels. For some, that can prove difficult at best. You might find that asking for such assistance is going to generate responses and advice from the spectrum of all possible opinions.

Your bike (Airborne Zeppelin) is certainly a good bike to get started on. It won't immediately offer the limitations that many beginners experience from a very entry level bike...good choice.

As a start, some good advice might be to get on YouTube and search Mountain Bike Skills and you should find some wonderful videos that can set the stage for skills improvement without leaving your living room. Some are very good while others are marginal at best. You'll just have to spend some time ferreting out the better, more applicable ones. Another piece of good advice given earlier is getting your hands on Brian Lopes' book "Mastering mountain biking skills". Good book. There are several others available that are also good.

Your advice on possibly investing in Body Armor might be a good one, but I might suggest looking on the forums here to find what some like and what they don't like. Body armor can be great, but if it fails to stay put where it's supposed to or just isn't comfortable, you'll not wear it and thus a waste of money. Invest wisely on this one. It's not cheap stuff, but it works.

I'm sending a PM and if interested, get in touch. If we're able to connect...great.

mtbr member
    Thanks! I have definitely been scoping out the youtube videos and I agree that riding more and pushing boundaries is the best way to learn. I keep hearing about this book so I think I will pick it up. I appreciate the advice about the Body Armor. Already, with the tools and accessories, Mountain Biking has proven to be an expensive past time but hopefully it will be a life long investment.

mtbr member
    You don't really need body armor other than a helmet for XC/AM riding. But I would highly recommend cycling specific sun glasses as well. A pair with interchangable lenses is a good idea, so you can pick the lense based on the lighting conditions. And gloves are a good idea as well for grip and comfort. Otherwise, save your money for maintenance and replacement parts. If you decide to start downhilling and/or freeriding then you need to invest in some serious body pro.

mtbr member
    TY. I just had to look up XC/AM. Haha. I did buy some gloves but they aren't really working for me so I will be looking for something different.I think I personally need full fingered gloves as opposed to the ones I bought.
    I really appreciate all the input I have been getting.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Sorry for being late to the party, spent a couple months on the injured list.

Anyhow, Welcome to Mountain Bike riding! Mountain bike riding is one of the best forms of fun and exercise without taking your clothes off. And DFW is home to one of the largest MTB clubs/enthusiast in the US. I strongly suggest at least joining the DORBA web forum. They also hav. List of every trail in the are with very useful information about each one. So check it out. If you want a ridding partner let me low, I generally ride mornings Mon-Fri out at Rowellet Creek Preserve (RCP / Garland) but I'm always up for new trails.
    2007 FS KHS XC104
    2012 FS Yeti SB95 (Race/XT)
    2013 HT Cannondale Trail 7
    2013 HT Specialized Hardrock Sport (the commuter)

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    I am fairly new as well. A friend turned me to DORBA which is where I found out about Erwin Park in McKinney. I have taken my wife and 8 yr old son. It is very friendly to noobs, lots of opportunity to figure out shifting without getting into trouble. There is a good deal of beginner, beginner advanced, intermediate, and advanced without forcing you to go through obstacles you are just not ready for. I know it is a hike from where you are but defiantly an expire nice worth the drive.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Show up at a trail with beer. You'll have a multitude of people willing to help and show you around.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Dorba member here, if you ever want to ride just hollar at me. I ride Rowlett Creek Preserve and Squabble Creek, but don't have a problem driving out to other trails to ride. Haven't ridden many others in the Dorba circuit. Going to ride Tyler State Park in 2 weeks. I'm a larger rider, so I'm not fast by any means but I push the boundaries of my bike, ha. Let me know if you ever want to get together. I'm off during the week so an evening ride would be good with me.