MMS
    mtbr member

Anybody riding Corps of Engineers parks during the Govt. shutdown?

The good ol' Government shutdown has all the Corps of Engineers parks closed. That means at least 2 of my local trails are closed (Dana Peak, Miller Springs...maybe BLORA). Does this mean they are a bust, and stay away...or are they still rideable? Don't particularly wanna go to jail or pay any fines...but road riding sucks.
    I'm having more FUN than anybody!

mtbr member
    I rode Dana Peak all weekend. No sign of any officials. Just park off on the road outside the barricade and start at the fishing pier. I even saw hikers, joggers, and other mountain bikers out there also. However, I read on Reddit a guy was harassed by an official Saturday morning. But I think it was a moot point a lot of people were still out there. As far as I know BLORA is still open, some family of mine has been riding out there since the shut down and as far as I know it's actually open. I've never been to miller springs so sorry don't know about that one.

MMS
    mtbr member
    Cool! Thanks! I know all the boat ramps & parking areas are closed. I knew it would be easy enough to get into DP or Miller Springs, just didn't want any repercussions.

Miller Springs is close to home, my "go to" trail...about 10 miles of trail (not a loop) fun & flowy, not as challenging as DP or BLORA but a whole lot closer. Closer=more riding.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012

I rode Dana Peak Saturday too. Lots of mtb'rs out and about. I would avoid riding down Comanche Gap road inside the park though. Stick to the trails outside the ticket booth and you should be fine.

MMS, I haven't been to Miller Springs in a long while. I never found any trails to speak of except the one from the parking area down to the lookout area. Is it new? Also, do the "alternative lifestyle" people still hang out at the parking lot?

MMS
    mtbr member
    @berettadave -

Yep, unfortunately the pickle park patrol still haunt the "top" part of the park. I've luckily never encountered any in action. The bottom part of the park is where the trails are. Anytime you wanna check it out hit me with a PM.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    FYI rode out on the trail by first barricade down onto the creek bed. Trail essentially takes one out towards end of wood bridge. Encountered the park gate keeper whom kindly expressed park closure, including all trails taking one past first barricade. Indicated trespassing and authorities seeking violators! Set out on same trail and ease out of area. Will say though lots of riders were out and about, assume don't get caught and should be fine, if not be ready to sustain repercussions. Stay safe & enjoy the ride!!!!!!

MMS
    mtbr member
    During "non shut down" times I've been told by Corps personnel that "these are public properties" & "we just insure their safety, they are always publicly accessible." (I have a section of a park that needs some "landscaping" work, & I took these comments as a "welcome to the neighborhood" type statement...maybe that's a bit optimistic on my part, but denial is a large river).

Thanks for the input Koni13. I'm probably gonna hit Millers sooner than later.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012

If its the heavy set guy in the blue dodge dually, I think he is just blowing smoke. Seems like he enjoys being an ass.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    The Madrone Trail at Canyon Lake is open. The beach, campground and group pavilion area are closed.

MMS
    mtbr member
    I'm confused as to why BLORA is open and the Corps stuff is closed.

I rode to Miller Springs, went thru the open pedestrian gap in the roadside rail fence. Got my trail fix, then rode home. 'Bout 15 miles total. Dang it felt good.

BLORA on Thursday I think.

Anybody wanna ride with a singlespeeder hit me up.

mtbr member
    Be weary out at Dana Peak rumor has it an official said he was "recording license plate numbers of trespassers to give to the sheriff." Whatever that means. Also I heard BLORA is closing on the 14th unless they solve this sh!t

MMS
    mtbr member
    Hit BLORA this morning...

Anybody riding Corps of Engineers parks during the Govt. shutdown?-blora.jpg

That place will work you for sure. Whoever designed that switchback climb outta there was a sick bastard. Does anyone clear that? I didn't on the SS that's for sure.

I also had to share the trail...

Anybody riding Corps of Engineers parks during the Govt. shutdown?-longhorn.jpg

She was much more polite than the copperhead that was sunning itself.

MMS
    mtbr member
    Hell yeah! Little late...but...YAY...back to legal.