Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    mtbr member
    May 2007

Anybody ride Colorado Bend State park?

Met some folks from the Waco bike club(?) while riding at Cameron Park last Tuesday. Didn't get the guy's name I was talking to, but he said they have done a good bit of work out there. Seems like he said there is around 20 miles of singletrack. Just wanting some feedback from anybody that might have ridden out there lately.

Thanks

mtbr member
    I went there yesterday, hiking with the family. We went up cedar chopper loop all the way to gormon falls. All I can speak on is the trails we were on but it seemed pretty flat twisty xc style single track. Decently well maintained. There were some really gnarly sharp rocks in the trail and quite a few rock gardens. The trail surface is gravel and loose rocks. Like I said I'm not sure about the other trails but that one is pretty good if you ride xc.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Thanks for the update... It's a long way out there from our house, just looking for some ,new to us, trails to hit up for a 2 day getaway in the upcoming months!

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Just saw your post.
    I'm a park ranger at Colorado Bend and know a little about the trails. In fact, I just rode the trails yesterday after work. My bike computer read 106, and man was it hot.
    There are nearly 30 miles of trail. A lot of it is quite rocky and can beat you up pretty good if you are not used to that.
    There is something for everyone. But if you have specific question, I'd be happy to give more info.

Jason

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Thanks Jason, sounds like it would be worth it to check out when we get down there. 106 is a bit warm for my taste...maybe in the fall!! Right now the family and I are in Angel Fire New Mexico...56 degrees, overcast and the smell of pine and spruce. AWESOME!!

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    I rode out there today. Did what seemed allllll uphill spicewood springs which was definitely out of my experience range and walked a lot. Then we got to the road and took Lemon ride pass downhill. That was a blast. So much so we did it twice. I didn't have much time to explore more out there besides those two trails but we had to have done 6 miles and it wore me out. The rocks out there are no joke. Sharp, and jagged. Still fun though, can't wait to go back. Check out their website for trail info and trail maps. The maps we got at the station were black and white, I suggest to anyone going out there to print the color maps on their site out first so you know how the trails are. Their maps are awesome. Colorado Bend Trail Map - Colorado Bend State Park Trail Project

mtbr member
    Shouldn't this be in the Colorado thread?

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Thanks for the link awshucks. I think my wife and I will hit these trails on our next day trip to the hillcountry for some cycling. We want to spend a couple of days riding some new (to us) trails as we like to do. We especially like it down in central Texas... Our everyday rides are Cleburne State park and Dinosaur Valley in Glen Rose, both are rocky and offer a bit of technical challenges as well as some butt busting climbs.

We have been to this State Park before with the kids several years ago, but only did some family friendly hiking up to some small waterfalls. I think it might have been the Spicewood Springs trail from looking at the map.

Are the trails marked well enough to put several together and make a decent loop? Also, are there any recommended routes??

Spoook....This State Park is in San Saba Texas. The name comes from the Colorado River that runs through the property!!

govt kontrakt projkt mgr
    Aaron...will you be going out there again this Saturday; I am going to try and make it.

Quote Originally Posted by Awshucks View Post
    I rode out there today. Did what seemed allllll uphill spicewood springs which was definitely out of my experience range and walked a lot. Then we got to the road and took Lemon ride pass downhill. That was a blast. So much so we did it twice. I didn't have much time to explore more out there besides those two trails but we had to have done 6 miles and it wore me out. The rocks out there are no joke. Sharp, and jagged. Still fun though, can't wait to go back. Check out their website for trail info and trail maps. The maps we got at the station were black and white, I suggest to anyone going out there to print the color maps on their site out first so you know how the trails are. Their maps are awesome. Colorado Bend Trail Map - Colorado Bend State Park Trail Project

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    If you guys come out to the park, stop by the headquarters and ask for Jason. I'd be happy to recommend a route for you.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    By the way, the topo maps you described are also for sale for $2. Much better than the old monochrome ones.

Jason

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Will definitely look you up when we make it down there Jason...Also since you work there, wanted to voice my disappointment in the Texas State Park license plate vote that went to the camping scene! I voted for the hiking one....Oh well!
    Why can't the state of Texas give the parks several plate options??

See you in a few weeks! I'll post up when we head that way.

Bandit 29 FTW!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by keithrad View Post
    Will definitely look you up when we make it down there Jason...Also since you work there, wanted to voice my disappointment in the Texas State Park license plate vote that went to the camping scene! I voted for the hiking one....Oh well!
    Why can't the state of Texas give the parks several plate options??

See you in a few weeks! I'll post up when we head that way.
    Please elaborate...
    Let's make like a Bike and get the Huck outta here...

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Texas State Parks offered a few license plate options for next year that depicted different activities that we enjoy doing at the parks...A campfire, a tent scene and a hiking scene were the options. Voting ended Aug. 31st and the winner was the camping scene.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Awshucks -- Spicewood Canyon is definitely more enjoyable going DOWNhill.

keithrad -- Hiking, camping, its all good. Too bad we couldn't get a biking option.

govt kontrakt projkt mgr
    Jason--I was out there yesterday with a lady that I think awshucks is the son.... and her friend.

Now these ladies REALLY like to ride Spicewood Canyon uphill....I was SMOKED..haha

And AAron (if that is you awshucks) we did 14 instead of 6 because Tracy's friend got confused at a turn.

Good fun !

Quote Originally Posted by jth442 View Post
    Awshucks -- Spicewood Canyon is definitely more enjoyable going DOWNhill.

keithrad -- Hiking, camping, its all good. Too bad we couldn't get a biking option.

Bandit 29 FTW!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by keithrad View Post
    Texas State Parks offered a few license plate options for next year that depicted different activities that we enjoy doing at the parks...A campfire, a tent scene and a hiking scene were the options. Voting ended Aug. 31st and the winner was the camping scene.
    Thanks for the info. I have seen a license plate that shows a guy on a MTB and a girl running.
    Let's make like a Bike and get the Huck outta here...

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    ArmySlowRdr, is that you who I met first thing in the morning on Saturday?
    Svenja from our Friends group was here with a friend ( I think named Tracy).

Well, I hope you enjoyed the visit. Please come visit us again soon.

govt kontrakt projkt mgr
    yup that was me ! spectacular park there; will be back !

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Hey Pete just saw this. Yeah I heard you guys had a good time. And next time I WILL be doing spicewood downhill lol. Also sorry I didn't realize you had the topo maps available for sale at the station or wouldn't have broadcasted the ones on your site. My apologies.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Awshucks -- Our Friends Group has posted the PDF online, so feel free to print your own. But the ones for sale are on a large sheet of glossy paper - 2-sided, and pretty easy to read.

-Jason

Dirty minded
    Nov 2008
    Jason,
    A couple buddies and I would like to come up from Austin and check out the trails. I know that the Waco bike club has been doing a lot of work out there. Can we put together a 15-20 mile loop that includes wooded twisties, vista views, ripping descents and technical climbs? I know that the terrian/topography up there could support those types of trails but would like to know what we could reasonably expect. It is good to hear that our rangers enjoy mountain biking!
    Thank you!

mtbr member
    May 2007
    ^^Just ask for Jason when you get there. I'm sure if he's there he will recommend a route for you like he did for us. We got there later in the day than I would have liked so our ride was limited to time constraints. We only got in 8 miles, but we did some hiking around some of the scenic waterfall areas. From the park h.q. we drove back approx. 3 miles to the parking area at cedar chopper loop. Took cedar chopper loop clockwise to Old Gorman Road trail (long fun downhill though not technical). Hiked to Gorman falls then continued on the Gorman Falls trail to Gorman Windmill connector, across the road to Lively Loop clockwise to Lemon Ridge pass back to the parking area.
    We will be going back soon to ride more. Really enjoyed the area. Damn I'm ready to go now!

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    I would definitely be happy to recommend a route. I do believe we can put together a route that meets your expectations. There is currently 33 miles of trail - mainly singletrack. It would probably be easier with a map in front of us.

During the summer, my weekends are Wednesday and Thursday. Any other day, I should be around. But definitely check in with me a few days before.

By the way, we recently opened our new Tinaja Trail - it is definitely one of the more difficult trails in the park.

Jason

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Where is this new trail located Jason??

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast