Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    mtbr member
    May 2007
    Awshucks - That sounds like a killer weekend...ENVIOUS! Was out at RPR last spring. Love that place. Upper loop is wicked fun!
    I have to work weekends ( just when this great weather hit), but plan on getting out Tuesday;-) Have fun!!

Hoff- How was Pace Bend? Never been out there...

mtbr member
    We did the whole route except gorman falls trail to the car. We opted to just take the maintenance road since we were so beat. Awesome awesome ride. Finally met Jason at the station on a break after spicewood canyon. We ended with 21 miles 1400+ ft of elevation gain. I was looking at the map while we were sitting in the car collecting our bearings. And i said out loud "we just did 20 miles of fun, technical single track and didn't hit the same trail once AND there is still more!" Love that place. I'll post pics and ride report in that new show abd tell thread later.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    double post...
    Last edited by keithrad; 03-20-2015 at 10:58 AM.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Nice job! It's hard not to put some miles down in this nice weather out there.
    Ha, I hit that same maintenance road also. Mainly because it would have been too demoralizing to let Gorman Falls spank my a$$ twice in one day!!!

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Awshucks, good to see you guys. Sounds like an awesome day on the trails.
    Jason

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    Pace Bend was awesome 98 riders!
    Pace bend has a nice loop with some challenging terrain.
    something for everyone out there!
    the weather could not have been any better

Next ARR event is Lake Georgetown!
    ARR February Club Ride @ Lake Georgetown Trails - The Austin Mountain Bikers Meetup Group (Austin, TX) - Meetup
    I will ask about getting this location on the schedule...
    The another event in March!

mtbr member
    Oct 2012

Colorado Bend State Park mountain biking

I stumbled across this thread and decided to post my experience from just yesterday.... I have posted my summary and plenty of photos at my blog -- here
    Anybody ride Colorado Bend State park?-coloradobendstateparkbiketrails5-e1426479569791.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images  

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Thanks 4 the pics...How was it?Need to make a trip down that way soon!

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Oops, I see the blog. Sounds like fun thanks for sharing!
    Last edited by keithrad; 03-16-2015 at 02:33 PM.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    I think it is well worth the long drive from Austin....Good weather makes it a good experience overall....

mtbr member
    It's been a year and a half since I went in July '13 and had my butt royally kicked (understatement- I literally couldn't move my seized up right leg and luckily found a ride back after a few miles hobbling on the road). It was too stinkin' hot!

I went river>dog leg>gorman dh>gorman falls tr (hiked to waterfall)>windmill conn.>windmill loop and cramped out on the windmill loop. The plan was to finish with Lemon's ridge and Spicewood Canyon.

I've gained some climbing legs now since moving and having RPR and Inks Lake as my home trails, but I'm still more interested in a downhill day.

I'm trying to figure out the best way to hit Spicewood Canyon, Dog Leg down, Gorman Falls Down, and Lemons Ridge Down without messing with the super rocky climbs.

Does anyone share my vision and have a suggested route for that kind of downhill fun?

mtbr member
    Also, for you guys who ride here frequently- Are you on Strava? CBSP needs more segments created.

Let's make a deal. You work on CBSP segments and I'll work on Inks Lake Segments, ok?

mtbr member
    I wasn't aware you could ride at inks lake? I used to camp there frequently and don't remember anything to ride. What's the riding like out there now?

mtbr member
    I live in Burnet and wanted a place to ride when RPR is closed during the week or for events. Inks may not be worth the $6 just to ride a day for some people, but it's nice to explore new places and there are several fun challenges. I have a Parks Pass so it doesn't bother me anyway.

I called a few weeks ago and was told that the trails are open to bikes, but was warned (incredulously) that they might not all be rideable. That turned out to be true, but I don't think the staff member knew what we're willing to endure if we're hungry to ride.

Check out my new thread for more info. Anyone riding Inks Lake SP?

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Visited the park yesterday from San Angelo. Wish I would have did a bit more research before heading out there. The trails are very different from the XC, fast single track we out in West Texas. With that said, we had a great time. Great views, very fun trails. Spicewood was a ton of fun although I almost ran over some lady's dog who was off its leash.

We were on the River Trail and went up Dogwood I think...we ended up near a large gorge where folks were rock climbing. From there, we couldn't figure out where to go. Extremely rocky and didn't really look like an area for mtb. We turned around and went down, which was tons of fun.

We hope to head back out soon with a better game plan.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Jennings6,
    Sorry you got turned around at Dogleg. The trail follows the ridge right around the other side. There should be yellow reflective trail markers pointing the way.
    Definitely let us know when you plan to visit again.
    -Ranger Jason

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    No, don't be sorry! It was an adventure. We were following pink tape, not reflectors. That may have been our mistake. We were able to hang around and watch the rock climbers do some awesome climbs. You have a great park and if the weather holds up, we just may be back next weekend!

Thanks for the reply.

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    Hey Jason, how is the park fairing after all the rain.. we have a group coming out to camp and I plan on riding Thursday. Noticed the park page says closed today due to Cherokee creek crossing being flooded....

if park conditions are bad, most will back out, but I think I will still come at least day trip..

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    I haven't been in the park since Saturday. Trails are definitely soaked right now.
    Couldn't get in the park today. Should be back tomorrow and can check trails.

mtbr member
    Just wanted to say that I made it back last month and had an awesome ride. It's amazing how a little hill country riding experience opened up the park for me.
    I climbed Lemons to Spicewood Canyon descent, went back to and up Lemons and crossed over for Tinaja, which was fantastic! The climbs and switchbacks beat me up, but the descents and spectacular views are some of the best in the state. Excellent work was done to build Tinaja.
    From there I rode down to climb up the old Gorman Jeep road, sped back down, climbed back up, and finished by coming down Dogleg. I went up it my first time and knew that it would make good downhill. I wasn't disappointed!

I'd like to come back before the heat really sets in. Hope to hear the trails are in good condition after the storms.

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    yup the trails out there are awesome! single track love affair! and spicewood pool at the end of it all... But I bet the falls be flowing right about now!! and the spicewood canyon also be flowing!! if conditions permit it I will be there on Thursday! this time on my Yeti!

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    If no rain comes in today, then trails should be OK for Thursday, with the exception of the River Trail.

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    SCHWEET!!! Possibly open to the entrance/exits to Lemons and Dogleg? Will the falls be open or is that too close to the river? See ya tomorrow.. I'll be there rain or shine with my doggie!

Thanks Jason!

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    River Trail won't be closed, but just a warning about being muddy in spots. Most bikers don't ride through mud anyway.
    Falls will be flowing like crazy.

mtbr member
    How was it out there Hoff?

Dirty minded
    Nov 2008
    Did the park get hammered by Fridays early morning storms?

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Yes, the creek crossing to enter the park is flooded. No entry is possible today.
    Maybe tomorrow.

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    I had a blast out there this weekend.. Made it just in time to get trapped at the park fora few days.
    Rode River trail to gorman falls to livey to lemons and all the way down Lemons to the river. Friday I hiked the spicewood canyon with my dog to scout if it would be ridable. It was!! Friday afternoon I rode River to gorman then to lemons to Cedar Chopper to Tinaja. Rained again early Saturday morning.. Rode river, this time I had to carry and wade across the low water bridge near the river so all that upstream rain began to swell the Colorado even more. River trail to Gorman again, Gorman was muddy, that made it as difficult as anything I rode out there this past weekend. Muddy tired and slippery rocks are not fun. did the connector and took Lemons over the Spicewood Canyon. Which IMHO is the most fun trail out there. Rode around the park up and up and down river trail a few times late in the day. All told about 65 miles of riding between Thursday and Saturday and about 14 hiking with my pooch!.
    The flow at Gorman falls was something to see. Absolutely flowing like crazy had to go see it twice..lol Trying to get a group together to camp out and ride later this summer. This is still my most favorite park within 100 miles of Austin

mtbr member
    May 2007
    ^^What no pics?

Were you tent camping or RV-ing? Either way sounds like a good time. My wife and I have been considering getting one of those A-frame pop up campers. Then at the very least we can get down to the Hill Country and start riding all of that goodness without the drive back!!

BTW check yer email Hoff...

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Hoff, looks like I missed you. I heard you were out in the park, but didn't run across you.
    On your next visit, you need to visit our new River Overlook off the Tie Slide Trail. It is one of the highlights of the park.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Jason, is this a new trail or a scenic overlook. Is it accessible via the Tie Slide?

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    We are in the process of rerouting sections of the Tie Slide trail.
    The Overlook is new. It is at the NE corner of that trail.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Hey Jason, heading in from San Angelo. We should be there about 1. If your available I would like to pick your brain regarding trails. Looking forward to riding out there again.

mtbr member
    Jan 2015
    Jennings
    How was the ride at Colorado Bend Park?

Also, how are things drying up at San Angelo State Park, these days? I am looking forward to another ride out there in July. Work on a new bathroom for house, and a vacation the wife wanted to take are cutting into my bike riding!

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Bill,

We had a great time, until my wife destroyed her derailleur. We ended up having to limp back to our car for 5 miles.

The San Angelo State Park is in good shape. The southern half of the trails (about 23 miles or trails) is in really good shape. Parts of the north shore where flooding occurred are still a mess with debris all over the place and lots of standing water. We are going to organize a trail day to clean that area up soon.

mtbr member
    Jan 2015
    Jon, Thanks for the report about the Park, and sorry about the damage to your wife's bike. I guess better than a big gash for her!!

If the trail day is in July, please count me in!!!

I probably walked at least 5 miles yesterday, but I wasn't pushing a bike. I was very fortunate to have not been stung big time by wasps (nothing to do with biking).

mtbr member
    Did 13mi there yesterday. It was awesome as always. Took the SS and didn't throw up this time. Ran into a bike in the middle of the trail on lemons ridge with no one around. We called and no one answered, got concerned someone was hurt or needed help. We went down the trail and ran into some Europeans. He left his bike to go back and help his friends who were pushing their bikes. Direct quote from one of them - "are there any trails that do not have so much stones?". We just said told em, sorry! This is cbsp pretty much lol. We told him the road was coming up and made sure they were good to go. Lemonsridge was really really overgrown.

The new over look at tie slide is SUPER awesome. And i never got to ride that trail or Heller brakes so that was cool for a change. Here's a pic from on top of the patio over look. Anybody ride Colorado Bend State park?-uploadfromtaptalk1434394551527.jpg

Gorman Falls Tr. wooped up on me. One of the rare timesI long for a full susp is on this trail.
    Anybody ride Colorado Bend State park?-uploadfromtaptalk1434393362916.jpg

CBSP is always a good time.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    ^^Nice pics, and trail report.^^
    Just looking at that masochistic machine you ride makes me hurt Awshucks. Especially Gorman...I always think I'm gonna clean it this time. Never happens. I have not been on my bike in over a month due to rain and travel. Rain is forecast for tomorrow but, I 'm gonna try to get up early and beat it out to Dino. Valley. Out of shape and now it's hot as hell! OH BOY...

mtbr member
    May 2012
    What a Gem!!! This park is so worth the drive folks. Yes I highly recommend a full suspension and please hydrate hydrate hydrate

Dirty minded
    Nov 2008
    Is that a recent pic?
    That dirt looks very rideable, everything around Austin is still too wet!

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Yes it was yesterday. Very humid out there so take plenty of water.

Dirty minded
    Nov 2008
    that is good news, thanks!

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    What are you thinking, D? Don't lie to me now. You are supposed to be at work.

Dirty minded
    Nov 2008
    I'm thinking Colorado Bend may be our huckleberry.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    I'm in, Mr. Finn.

Dirty minded
    Nov 2008
    I'm glad to hear that, you should change your name to prollyso.
    I think Frankie will be able to join us as well.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Sorry everyone. I was out of town for a couple of weeks. It is great to see that people are enjoying riding at the park.
    Thanks for the update on the conditions on Lemons Ridge.
    Unfortunately, other staff didn't do any trail work while I was out. And considering the rainy weather the past couple of months, some trails do need some work.

By the way, we do utilize volunteers for trail work among other things. There is a lot of satisfaction in weed-eating or spraying a trail that you ride and seeing the results. Just thought I'd throw that out there.

Continue to send trail and ride reports.
    Glad to see you got out to the Overlook , ashucks.

Jason

mtbr member
    Mar 2014

Colorado Bend SP is in Texas

Quote Originally Posted by Spoook View Post
    Shouldn't this be in the Colorado thread?
    There is a real cool search program called Google. You type in Google first. Then type in 'Colorado Bend State Park'. You will learn all about what state its in.

mtbr member
    May 2014
    Anything new at the park? We booked a campground again for this Thanksgiving weekend if anyone will be around. Plan to ride excessively.

mtbr member
    You have to check out the new overLook off the tie slide trail.

mtbr member
    May 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Awshucks View Post
    You have to check out the new overLook off the tie slide trail.
    I don't think I've hit Tie Slide at all yet, but your picture looks great. Will keep that on the radar for sure.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    With the coming fall like temps and a far too long absence, I feel a road trip in the very near future...Thanks for re-stoking!

mtbr member
    May 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by keithrad View Post
    With the coming fall like temps and a far too long absence, I feel a road trip in the very near future...Thanks for re-stoking!

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    I would recommend Tie Slide in general. It is a flowy trail and has been re-routed to start directly from the Gorman Falls parking lot.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    There looks like a lot of options. Anyone have a favorite route, say 10-15 miles?

mtbr member
    May 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by rayray74 View Post
    There looks like a lot of options. Anyone have a favorite route, say 10-15 miles?
    Posted a few routes back at post 68, both of which I enjoyed. Sounds like you will want to work in Tie Slide though.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    I think I might try your second route next time. I ended up climbing lemons ridge then cut across to tie slide. Came back the same way except went down Spicewood. It ended up being 21 miles.

mtbr member
    May 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by rayray74 View Post
    I think I might try your second route next time. I ended up climbing lemons ridge then cut across to tie slide. Came back the same way except went down Spicewood. It ended up being 21 miles.
    Nice. How'd you like that route?

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    For the amount of climbing and distance it wasn't bad. That's the longest ride I've done in a while. Although I was pretty well spent by the time I got to Spicewood. Definitely worth the drive.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    The Tie Slide Trail reroute has been completed. This is one of my favorite trails to ride. It has considerably more flow than some of the rockier trails. Plus it takes you to the Overlook.
    Great weather and color right now. Pic below is from Spicewood Springs area.

Ranger Jason

Anybody ride Colorado Bend State park?-img_1372.jpg

mtbr member
    May 2014
    Awesome! Man, I really want to get back out there for some riding. We have a site booked Thursday through Sunday but it's looking like rain might ruin the fun... Might end up postponing. Any thoughts on the forecast implications for the trail conditions?

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Some trails are messy. With more rain predicted, it won't be ideal riding conditions - muddy and slick rocks.

Jason

mtbr member
    May 2014
    Thanks Jason. We ended up canceling; hopefully can reschedule for another weekend soon.

mtbr member
    Where you guys riding over the holiday break? Colorado Bend state park? Awesome!

mtbr member
    Feb 2015
    Awshucks is Colorado Bend State Park the only place you ride? Do you ever ride Dana Peak at all? Just wondering went today and had fun but I know it's better if you have another biker riding with you.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ArmyMTB21 View Post
    Awshucks is Colorado Bend State Park the only place you ride? Do you ever ride Dana Peak at all? Just wondering went today and had fun but I know it's better if you have another biker riding with you.
    Yeah we ride there often its just been so wet and rutted lately we've been hitting up BLORA and CBSP more. PM me if you wanna ride though for sure.

Dirty minded
    Nov 2008
    Jason, any chance you could give a conditions update? With the recent rains, I'm betting it will soon be primo out there between the hero dirt, spring blooms and river level. It be sweet to know when that dirt is prime!

Team Livemedium
    Hello folks, thinking of hitting this Saturday. I have looked at the two routes in post #68.
    Does anyone have the mega route that hits everything? Also any climbs to definitely avoid? Thanks,
    Matt
    Keep trying to do the awesomest thing you've ever done.

Team Livemedium
    Rode here yesterday Sat 4/16/2016. Rain held off and clouds kept the temp down. Did a really good lap that kicked my butt. Paid at entry box to keep from driving down to campground. Parked at first lot (Tie Slide ). Did a warm up lap of lively loop > back past car to tie slide lookout > gorman falls (walked down to river ) > tinjata > cedar chopper > lemon ridge > spicewood canyon down > back on river trail > gorman road back to lot. 23 miles? from 3 ish till sunset. 100 liters h2o some left. couple gu's and granola bars. totally spent. pushed some climbs. great day. totally spent.

mtbr member
    May 2014
    Sounds like a great ride! Which runs were your favorite?

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Seems like Tinaja would be quite the chore that direction...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    May 2007
    But then again, I haven't been out there in a while... I still have not checked out the new Tie Slide stuff yet!

Team Livemedium
    My favorite was the smooth river trail at the end after taking a pounding on the rocks all day. Lively Loop wouldn't be missed by the true singletrack lover. Tie Slide was just techy enough. Tinjata was fun but became a pusher after the pond on up. Chopper was a bit of a rest for the tush. The connecter and Lemon's ridge was pretty flowy. Spicewood Canyon... icing on the pain cake. Gorman Road back to lot was grueling at the end but worth the sunset view. Overall I would give this four out of five chili's for tech and cardio but I saw most of the park which was my goal. Sidenote: I rode my 26" fs titus switchblade as my 29" fs voodoo canzo is taken apart right now to weld a cracked dropout so it could have been a MUCH smoother ride. All in all it just about felt like a complete lap of Lake Georgetown if you know what that is like.

mtbr member
    ^ sounds like a great ride. Next time try fitting in dogleg canyon DOWN. One of my favorites in the park.

Sent from my SPH-L710T using Tapatalk

Team Livemedium
    A great ride it was. We thought about that ^ but started late and I was taxed. If the 29er saves me some energy, next time I will amend that route by adding the detour of: up river trail > up lemons pass > east side of chopper loop > down dogleg > up river again > gorman rd to lot. It's a good place to mix and match as long as the heat doesn't get ya. Maybe tinaja the other way is in the cards.

mtbr member
    Definitely try Tinaja the other direction too. On tie slide did you get to stop at the river over look? It's pretty neat.

Sent from my SPH-L710T using Tapatalk

Team Livemedium
    [QUOTE=Awshucks;12588254 On tie slide did you get to stop at the river over look? It's pretty neat. [/QUOTE]

You mean granola bar tree house?

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    I've made the trip twice now. Last time I went up Dogleg, to cedar chopper to tinaja, then rode out on the river trail. I bet dogleg would be good going down. So many options out there.

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    Calling jth442 !!!!, Hey Jason how are the trails out there, we are planning a small group ride out there on Sunday. hoping it's good.
    you can message me here or PM me @ hoffmonster@twc.com

Team Livemedium
    So how did this place survive the rains? River trail still passable?

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    Everything was awesome.. trails all good.. did not do all of river trail.. only from Dogleg back to camping area.. we rode, Gorman falls up.. Tinaja, lemons, dogleg.

Team Livemedium
    Jason, I think I saw you inside the back cover of a Texas Parks and Wildlife Mag about caving.
    Cool job. You're famous

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    I don't know about famous, but I seem to get my face out there from time to time.

Team Livemedium
    The bigger question is how long before you cut a trail through a cave out there? That would be killer.

mtbr member
    May 2013
    I'll be out there at the end of Sept. What trails do you recommend for someone riding a XC HT? My level is beg-int, a little closer to beg than int but I'm ok with walking a little.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Hi bhlass,

For beginners, I would recommend the River Trail. We really do not have many beginner trails.
    If you want a short beginner/intermediate loop, I would recommend Cedar Chopper Loop. Another fun intermediate trail is Tie Slide.
    Please send any other questions my way. Hope to see you at the park soon.

Jason

mtbr member
    May 2007
    I have to get back down there, and soon. Been thinking about CBSP a lot lately! Need a good dose of fall weather and a great day of riding out there and all will be right in my universe. Maybe afterwards a hot chocolate and shot of Crown 2 boot!

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Hey Jason, in the off chance you see this tonight... I'll be coming down tomorrow (12/01/16), hoping the trails are good to go..?? Looking forward to it!

Dirty minded
    Nov 2008
    Radovich?

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Nope, but I knew a Radovich in junior high...

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Made it down yesterday. Can't believe it's been 2 years since the last time i rode CBSP! I got a late start leaving the house so I made it there around noon. Here's the route;

River Trail>>(up) Lemon Ridge>>Cedar Chopper (counter clockwise)>>(down) Dogleg Canyon>>River Trail>>(up) Old Gorman>>Cedar Chopper>> Tinaja>>Gorman Falls>>Tie Slide>>Gorman- Windmill connect>>Lively Loop (short -clockwise)>>Lemon Ridge>> to the parking area where Spicewood Canyon starts>> The plan was to take Spicewood back down to the south parking area where I started. Unfortunately it got dark pretty quick, especially in the woods and I couldn't see the trail well enough so at that point I took the park road back down...

All total I got in 22.71 miles and I was whooped! 2 years ago I got around 25 miles and don't remember feeling quite so beat up... Also don't remember Tinaja having as much climbing and it spanked me pretty good. It's still a beautiful trail. Guess I'm a couple years older too;-( One highlight was taking Dogleg (down) for the first time... that was a BLAST!
    The drive home was a much needed rest after being on the trail over 5 hours, but I still had to be cautious though as I counted over a dozen deer, 2- jack rabbits, 1- possum, 1-fox, 1-bobcat, and an owl in an overhanging tree! Damn busy on those back-country roads at night! Cheers!

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Here's some pics;

mtbr member
    May 2007

Magically Delicious
    Nice photos Keith! I'll have to give this place a check out.
    A bad day of cycling is better than a good day at work

Work Truck - Dassault Falcon 7X

Dirty minded
    Nov 2008
    Keithrad thanks for the seasonal update.
    That place has been on my mind for a camping trip, the pictures fueled a little stoke!
    Speaking of wildlife, I saw a Aoudad sheep with kid out here once during a ride. That thing was HUGE.
    Name:  auodad sheep.png
Views: 107
Size:  99.7 KB

mtbr member
    May 2007
    @cleared2land
    As much as you like Dino Valley and that type of terrain, you would love it out at CBSP. It's like Dino Valley-ZILLA! Sooo worth the drive!

@dimitrin
    You bet, this time of year is THE time to go! I feel like you need to be one of those creatures to clean some of that chunky goodness!!

Magically Delicious
    It's like Dino Valley-ZILLA! Sooo worth the drive!
    That's funny!

Dirty minded
    Nov 2008

@dimitrin
    You bet, this time of year is THE time to go! I feel like you need to be one of those creatures to clean some of that chunky goodness!!
    Your right, I gotta get my priorities straight and make it happen!

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    Is this a singlespeed-able trail or a full suspension/geared trail? Any idea of what it is similar to in the Austin area?
    Austin Mountain Biking and worldwide travel pictures:

http://www.austinbike.com

Magically Delicious
    I always thought Singlespeeders viewed all trails singlespeed-able.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast