Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    Hey Jason,
    It was nice meeting you when I was out there recently, I will be back soon and have told lots of folks what a great place to ride/camp/hike this park is.
    the weather is turning and going out there will be far more enjoyable with lower temps.

Your recommendations were spot on. Parking near the river (Spicewood creek parking) and riding up is WAY better than riding down, then back up after you're tired...
    I did this when I rode Tinaja down to the river, then Dogleg canyon back to where I parked @ Cedar Chopper.. That was some serious work and was about all I had for a 100+ degree day!

Favorite trail would be Tinaja for it's difficulty and pretty canyon views.. Some very tough sections there will test your skills and endurance.
    As I told you.. I left a pump out there near a scenic overlook... Hope someone finds it and can use it!!

As far as trail conditions, I remember a large branch down on River trail just south of Gorman cave. it is not possible to ride over/around it
    being as that was a couple weeks ago, I'm sure you guys have seen it already.
    The rest of the trails were in great shape for the most part
    On tie slide there are a few spots where the trail is not at all obvious, but a keen eye can pick it up.
    I would highly recommend the color relief maps to anyone going out there, worth every penny of the 2$ it costs..

Tinaja is rough, but I expected that being how new it was.. I did not see any tire tracks on it at all other than mine.
    You said that there were some improvements planned.. can't wait to see!!

And BTW... THANK YOU FOR THE WATER JUG at the Bottom of the Tinaja trail where it goes across to Gorman connector. I refilled there the last time I was out there!!! thanks again!
    Anybody ride Colorado Bend State park?-thanks.jpg

See ya next time!!

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Hopefully this thread is still being watched by Jason. I've tried calling a few times but keep getting a busy signal. Anyway, I'll be coming out there very soon with my 5 year old son. We would like to either "bikepack" in or backpack in to a primitive camp. My questions are:
    1. Is there a primitive campsite that is on the water? I couldn't tell from the map.
    2. Is the river trail to a campsite (if there is one) easy enough to ride for a little dude? He really wants to bikepack like daddy but knows we may have to hike in.
    3. do I have to make reservations for those sites?

Thank you! feel free to email me at sherpaxc at g mail dot com if you'd prefer to communicate that way.
    Thanks,
    Travis

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by sherpaxc View Post
    Hopefully this thread is still being watched by Jason. I've tried calling a few times but keep getting a busy signal. Anyway, I'll be coming out there very soon with my 5 year old son. We would like to either "bikepack" in or backpack in to a primitive camp. My questions are:
    1. Is there a primitive campsite that is on the water? I couldn't tell from the map.
    2. Is the river trail to a campsite (if there is one) easy enough to ride for a little dude? He really wants to bikepack like daddy but knows we may have to hike in.
    3. do I have to make reservations for those sites?

Thank you! feel free to email me at sherpaxc at g mail dot com if you'd prefer to communicate that way.
    Thanks,
    Travis
    there is primitive camping near the river, as well as hike in/out style camping that is not close to the water.

the River trail starts at the end of the camping area proper and heads towards Gorman falls. very easy trail for the most part. there is a place where you will have to carry your bike (over entrance to Gorman cave) a few spots that may be tough for a 5 YO.. but doable for the most part. a very long steep double track uphill at the end will get you off your bike. and the connector trails that these go to are not recommended for beginners The Gorman connector and trail are very rocky and rugged.. Go to the falls though (hike), they are beautiful to see. Bikes are not allowed on the short trail leading to the falls (too steep and rocky, and there will be hikers.

Reservations are recommended for all camping out there. and can be made from the colo state park web site.

I love this park and all it has to offer. will ba camping and riding out there in late Oct. but will likely be back before then

email hoffmonster at twc dot com if you have any more ??s

brian

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Travis, Hoffmonster offered some really good info.
    The River Backpack area sounds like what you are looking for. From the campground, this primitive camping area is about 0.8 miles in down the River trail (our easiest trail). Like Hoffmonster mentioned, Gorman Falls is another 4 miles up that trail for a day trip.
    The other Backpack area is the Windmill. It offers great views, but not near the water.

Please let me know if you have other questions, or give us a call. Sorry you were not able to reach anyone before.

Jason Hairston
    Park Ranger
    Colorado Bend SP

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    THanks ya'll. I'll do some booking. Just the info I wanted. I'm assuming the River Backpack area has water access (kids able to swim/me able to fish?).

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Yes sir. The Colorado River is open to fishing and swimming. But the best swimming spot in the park is Spicewood Springs.

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Thanks, but I got to be able to fly fish while the kiddo's swim!

Team Livemedium
    When we went there about 6 weeks ago, the river trail was seriously overgrown with
    8 ft tall weeds that made parts of it seem like hacking through a cornfield, Have those been trimmed back at all? Just curious if you guys ever weedwack that section. It was almost impassible.
    Keep trying to do the awesomest thing you've ever done.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Bamwa,
    I'm sorry for the overgrowth you experienced. I know exactly what you are talking about. I will say it is much better now. That area grows so fast sometimes. But we've maintained it and it will provide a much better experience now.
    Jason

mtbr member
    Rode there this morning and it is the most scenic place I've been in Texas! Absolutely awesome canyon views and Gorman Falls is great. Tinaja gave me all I could handle! Had a great time and would absolutely recommend!
    I ride faster than I should...

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Rubicon73 View Post
    Rode there this morning and it is the most scenic place I've been in Texas! Absolutely awesome canyon views and Gorman Falls is great. Tinaja gave me all I could handle! Had a great time and would absolutely recommend!
    That is awesome. Tinaja is a test for sure. Did you go for a swim in Spicewood creek pool? That is the just reward for a hard day riding in the Texas heat. I love this park and pretty much everything it has to offer. Some friends and i will be camping out there 10/27-29. Riding all the trails we can. Let's ride!!!!

Hoffmonster

mtbr member
    Hoffmonster, that recommendation to cool off in Spicewood Creek Spring was on point! Just what I needed after 3.5 hours on the bike. I will keep those dates in mind and see if I can make them.
    I ride faster than I should...

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Rubicon73 - It is great to hear you had a fun experience at Colorado Bend. Sorry I was off yesterday and couldn't meet you.
    As I ask all bikers/hikers, please let me know if you have any suggestions for trail signage improvements or any trail maintenance issues you came across.
    Thanks for the positive feedback.

Jason

Team Livemedium
    Quote Originally Posted by jth442 View Post
    Bamwa,
    I'm sorry for the overgrowth you experienced. I know exactly what you are talking about. I will say it is much better now. That area grows so fast sometimes. But we've maintained it and it will provide a much better experience now.
    Jason
    nice, thank you sir

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    Rubicon73 - It is great to hear you had a fun experience at Colorado Bend. Sorry I was off yesterday and couldn't meet you.
    As I ask all bikers/hikers, please let me know if you have any suggestions for trail signage improvements or any trail maintenance issues you came across.
    Thanks for the positive feedback.

Jason
    Hey Jason, I missed ya out there this past week.
    My buddy and I enjoyed the park to it's fullest.
    I put in about 42 miles on Monday/Tuesday, and 1 short fast ride on Wed morning before leaving.
    I rented a Specialized Camber Comp 29er... OMG this bike sailed through everything out there no problem.
    The stuff I struggled to do on a 26 was so much easier on a 29er.
    Managed to make it all the way up the last climb on river trial just before Old Gorman road traihead. that is an epic climb I could only get maybe 1/2 way on on the 26.
    all in all a 29er is def the bike of choice up there. Can't wait to go back!

couple things I discovered this time..

1. The Downhill rides of Gorman Road, Dogleg Canyon, and Lemons ridge are crazy awesome fun! Highly recommended rides to do a few times..

2. if you have two cars, take one with the bikes up to Cedar Chopper and take your pick of the way down... then go back get the car, repeat, repeat, repeat!
    FAST and FUN!! we did that like 3-4 times. you can go to gormam falls/windmill... etc...
    there is still plenty of climbing that can be done if you want.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Hoffmonster, I missed you guys because I was out of the park buying a Specialized Camber 29. Ha! We actually picked up a couple of these this week. It seemed to be the recommended model for our terrain.
    I just took mine out for a ride yesterday, and yes it seems to work well with our trails.
    Our Friends group did some work on Spicewood Canyon this past weekend, so hopefully that trail was in good shape.
    Thanks for coming out and enjoying the trails.
    We are trying to get the word out that we have a great destination with a variety of trail options for riders.

mtbr member
    May 2014
    Cool thread! Anyone planning to be out at the park over Thanksgiving? Will you be working, Jason?

Going to camp out Thursday through Sat/maybe Sun and plan to explore the trails.

mtbr member
    May 2014
    Just got back from the camping trip and had a blast! Truly great riding to be had; I got about 27 miles of trail in.

Day 1: Campsites -> River Trail -> Lemons Ridge Pass (up) -> Cedar Chopper Loop -> Old Gorman Road (down) -> Gorman Falls -> River Trail back to campsites.
    Good moderate ride, ~11 miles.

Day 2:
    Campsites -> Road up to Lemons Ridge Pass -> Cedar Chopper Loop -> Tinaja Trail (down) -> Old Gorman Road (up) -> Dogleg Canyon (down) -> River Trail -> Lemons Ridge Pass (up) -> Spicewood Canyon (down).
    This one (~16 miles) totally wiped me out.

Such a great variety of trail - can't wait to get back out there! Highly recommend this park as a riding destination.

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    Nice report! Up Gorman road? Get that was a tough ride.. 250+feet of elevation change in about a mile. I went up Dogleg this past summer, that was a challenge... Fave trials are the downward runs on Gorman road, Lemons ridge towards the river. and Spicewood canyon. You also had some decent weather. I love Colo Bend!!

mtbr member
    May 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Hoffmonster View Post
    Nice report! Up Gorman road? Get that was a tough ride.. 250+feet of elevation change in about a mile. I went up Dogleg this past summer, that was a challenge... Fave trials are the downward runs on Gorman road, Lemons ridge towards the river. and Spicewood canyon. You also had some decent weather. I love Colo Bend!!
    Pretty much perfect weather! I'd like to do a day trip out there in December or January, if anyone is interested.

Up Gorman Road took some effort but it's only mildly technical so it was more about keeping the legs moving. I bet climbing Dogleg was tough; I didn't have it in me to try after getting down it.

Tinaja is an easy favorite for me. I like the up and down XC stuff more than extended climbs or descents and Tinaja nailed it. It was tough but not outrageous, I was expecting worse. Definitely didn't clean it - I would love to work that one until I can.

Other favorites:
    - Spicewood Canyon descent is awesome. I couldn't fully appreciate it because I was so wiped that I was mostly focused on not hurting myself. Best GU of my life consumed on that trail
    - Lemons Ridge Pass is really nice too. I think it's the most well rounded trail. You get a rocky climb from the river that turns into some nice rolling xc stuff until you cross the road into flowy forested singletrack. I don't know what's past the Cedar Chopper intersection but will definitely go back and ride it all the way.

The wife stalking a baby armadillo:

The Tinaja:

Tinaja Trail:
    Last edited by cykelk; 11-30-2014 at 02:57 PM. Reason: fixed trail name

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Thanks for the pics and stokage!! Sounds like a great time cykelk. The weather is primed for a road trip down for me next week. I have not been out there with my Yeti SB95 yet, sooo ready....

I wanna go fast!
    Oct 2005
    Evidently this is only about an hour drive from my folks' place, so I will probably try and take a day trip down there over Christmas and check it out. It looks promising!

mtbr member
    May 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by keithrad View Post
    Thanks for the pics and stokage!! Sounds like a great time cykelk. The weather is primed for a road trip down for me next week. I have not been out there with my Yeti SB95 yet, sooo ready....
    The SB95 will be sweet out there I'm sure. The hardtail beat me up, especially on some of the descents. I've got a new-to-me Pivot sitting in the house, but for a few more weeks I'm only allowed to stare at it.

Can't wait to get it out on the trail.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Early Christmas gift I guess...?

What model Pivot is it?

mtbr member
    May 2014
    What model Pivot is it?
    It's a '10 Mach 429 snagged from the classifieds. I was drooling over a new SB95 but decided to go lower cost since it'll be my first full suspension platform.

It'd be early if I could ride it My wife hid the front wheel, and told me I couldn't swap over from the hardtail either lol!

How long have you had the 95?

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Cykelk,
    Sorry I missed you. I was out of the park for a few days. Glad to hear the ride went well. Yeah, your day 2 route is a pretty tough one.
    We have a trail description flyer in the visitor center - don't know if you picked one up. But it gives a basic description of what each trail offers.
    Jason

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by cykelk View Post
    It's a '10 Mach 429 snagged from the classifieds. I was drooling over a new SB95 but decided to go lower cost since it'll be my first full suspension platform.

It'd be early if I could ride it My wife hid the front wheel, and told me I couldn't swap over from the hardtail either lol!
    Haha...she means business! At least she lets you look at it...(or does that make it worse?)

Quote Originally Posted by cykelk View Post
    How long have you had the 95?
    Got it in June (Birthday present).

Those Pivots are nice, I'm sure you will enjoy it on those rough trails out there at C.B.S.P. and many others! Congrats!

mtbr member
    May 2014
    Cykelk,
    Sorry I missed you. I was out of the park for a few days. Glad to hear the ride went well. Yeah, your day 2 route is a pretty tough one.
    We have a trail description flyer in the visitor center - don't know if you picked one up. But it gives a basic description of what each trail offers.
    Jason
    All good, figured it was a long shot with the holiday. Next time!

The trail description flyer along with a topo map make route planning pretty easy. Nicely documented and recommended to anyone who hasn't been out there before.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    May be headed out tomorrow if the powers that be allow. Having rear wheel issues with freewheel / hub. Dremmeled out some gouged aluminum material on the ratchet system for a quick fix to hopefully get me back on the trail till a replacement wheel gets here. Road test last night was promising! May try a quick spin today out at Cleburne S.P. and see how it goes. Would hate to make that drive only to break down with mechanicals though!!

mtbr member
    May 2014
    Nice! Wish I could make tomorrow but will have to settle for a short local ride.

Bummer about the freehub issue. Did you have to go full wheel build instead of just a freehub, or taking the opportunity to upgrade?

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Being right here at Christmas I am fortunate to have a $300ish budget to rectify the wheel issue. I think most anything will be an upgrade from the stock wheels. Was looking at Wiggle.com but they are out of the highly recommended Stans Flow ex. Could buy just the rear but would rather have a reliable set. (although the front wheel has been ok) Looking at ebay at some Stans and can only find Arches' that are the correct $ and fit. Actually lost a bid war on some used ones. I don't need fancy, just reliable. I am not near as well learned on wheels as alot of folks here, but I will try to get the most bang for the buck so I don't have to go through this in another 3 months.

mtbr member
    May 2014
    I hear ya. Look out for the Spank Oozy Trail 295. They get solid reviews and are on the affordable side.

The Colorado Cyclist builder could give you some ideas on options as well.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    ^^Thanks Cykelk pm sent^^
    Whoa...where to start? O.k. so I made it down yesterday. Set alarm at 5:30am left Cleburne 6:30am, arrived about 9:00am ish. ( forgot camera sorry) My goal was to make a perimeter run to get as far as my wheel would allow. I ran across Jason (sup bro) and a handful of the F.O.C.B.S.P. trail workers scouting out potential new singletrack around the Tie Slide trail and chated a bit. They recommend I hit Tinaja so a few miles later down the trail I revised my route to include it. Here is the rundown of my route; Ended up with 25.78 miles on my computer...(whew!!)) I was spent!!)))

Started from River Trail trailhead.
    River Trail>>Gorman Falls>>Tie Slide(all)>>Heller Brakes>>Gorman Windmill connector>>Lively Loop(long version)>>Lemons Ridge>>Cedar Chopper connect>>Cedar Chopper(clockwise)>>Tinaja>>Maintenance Road>>Gorman Windmill connect>>Lively Loop(shortcut)>>Lemons Ridge>>Spicewood Canyon>>DONE!!

Had to make 3-4 pit stops to clean out debris in my freewheel but managed to make it through the day.
    I gotta say this place kicks ass! My hats off to the trail buiders...So glad I took their advice on Tinaja. Tinaja in places is a work of art. Excellent use of the terrain and a beautifully sculpted trail capitalizing on the topography! From dropping into the boulder cliffs swooping along, to the challenging switchback and climbing portion, to the last 1.5 or so miles of just killer rocky dropping flowing goodness along the ridge line of the box canyon dropping back to Gorman. I had thoughts of this section being as good or better than some of the best trails I've ridden in Colorado / Utah / New Mexico...about the funnest /most scenic I've ever ridden.
    So much room to advance as a rider out there! Very challenging, (I would bet enough to keep the pros happy), and enough EZ stuff to rest and recharge, and for newbs to learn the ropes.
    May be taking my wife down next week for a condensed version. Will bring the camera to add pics.
    AWESOME! Go get some!!

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    Nice!! Did you find the pump i left on Tinaja at the nice overlook. None of the decents from cedar chopper other than tinaja? Old gorman road is the fastest by far.. Lemons is fun and dogleg canyon, It is almost as techy as tinaja. Glad you enjoyed the trails. Some good stuff out there for sure!! Ever been to Reveille peak ranch ?

Hoffmonster

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Nice!! Did you find the pump i left on Tinaja at the nice overlook.
    Nope sorry, never stopped once the flow got groovin!
    None of the decents from cedar chopper other than tinaja? Old gorman road is the fastest by far
    Yes, rode Gorman road down the first time I was out there last spring super fun!..
    Lemons is fun and dogleg canyon, It is almost as techy as tinaja.
    Lemons and Dodleg (down to River trail) are pretty much the only ones I have not hit!
    Glad you enjoyed the trails. Some good stuff out there for sure!! Ever been to Reveille peak ranch ?

Hoffmonster
    Yes I have been out to Reveille twice now. I was super pumped on that place too! Between those two places I'm bout ready to move to the area! Or get a vehicle that gets 40mpg... Also really got to bond with my Yeti SB95a. That bike was made for that type of stuff!!

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Keithrad -
    What a coincidence running into you as we were scouting out some new trail options. I was hoping you made it OK. Sounds like you had quite an epic ride.
    Glad to hear it was successful.

Dirty minded
    Nov 2008
    Thanks Jason.
    I need to get back up there. Was hoping for tomorrow, but the weather looks to be crappy. Dang.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Keithrad -
    What a coincidence running into you as we were scouting out some new trail options. I was hoping you made it OK. Sounds like you had quite an epic ride.
    Glad to hear it was successful.
    Had a few pit stops to keep the rear hub moving, but otherwise a great day Jason. Cool to see you guys out in the field. Y'all are killing it out there! I will be back with the wife again soon!!

Team Livemedium
    Question for C Bend....
    Has there ever been any thought about adding camping hook ups for rvs or pups?
    We stayed at an rv park just up river but it left a little to be desired. In the park would be awesome and other state parks really seem to have their stuff together regarding rv camping, more so than the private campgrounds it seems.
    Thanks in advance for your response or taking my suggestion to the rangers/staff.

mtbr member

Anybody ride Colorado Bend State park?

We rode CBSP today. So. Awesome. 18 miles

Parked by river group site

Up Spicewood Canyon>Lemon ridge pass> Lively loop> Gorman Windmill Connection>jumped on road> Cedar chopper loop> dog leg canyon trail> river trail back

All the single track was awesome. We didn't like Lively loop. We were trying to make our way to the tinaja trail to go down it because last time we went up it. Really didn't get to it today though seeing as we had to relieve the baby sitter which is why we hopped on the road. First time going down dog leg canyon. My butt puckered on a few spots for sure.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Up Spicewood...? Ouch! I really like going up on the River Trail. It's a good warm up after a 2 1/2 hour drive. I need to hit Dogleg going down!! Sounds Fun. May be back with my wife for a New Years eve/day ride if we don't go to Tyler State Park...Decision,decisions...

mtbr member

Up Spicewood...? Ouch! I really like going up on the River Trail. It's a good warm up after a 2 1/2 hour drive. I need to hit Dogleg going down!! Sounds Fun. May be back with my wife for a New Years eve/day ride if we don't go to Tyler State Park...Decision,decisions...
    I've actually never gone down spicewood only up. If you've done dogleg only up i can't even imagine that! Seems like it would be harder. There was some parts we walked but it was pretty rewarding and the overlook was nice. Lemon ridge has to be my favorite trail ever. Up and down it.

mtbr member
    Is tie slide a fun single track trail or is it double track?

mtbr member
    May 2007
    I have not been on Dogleg yet...Just read Hoffmonster's post about it.
    Some of Tie Slide is singletrack, some is double. Right now (weekend before last) some of it was torn up. I ran into Jason and some of the trail workers out on Tie Slide scouting new lines ;-)
    I was pretty tired when I took Spicewood Canyon. I was right at 23 miles when I started it. I was hoping for all downhill, but there was still pedaling to do. It was golden though once I got to the overlook bench. Took a quick break then it was all downhill from there!!
    Man you really have to hit Tinaja from the Cedar Chopper loop heading to Gorman Falls trail. That is the bees knees!

mtbr member

Man you really have to hit Tinaja from the Cedar Chopper loop heading to Gorman Falls trail. That is the bees knees!
    The first time i rode it was in that direction and i was on a rigid single speed. Although fun, quite difficult also. I'm excited to try it from the other direction now.

EDIT

Been informed that it's probably harder taking Tinaja the other direction so we'll probably hit it from cedar chopper loop. Things I am looking forward to the next time we are out there(AND believe me I cannot wait): taking all of the river trail up to hit some new stuff and the tinaja trail, and then riding spicewood canyon down finally!

The trails out here are seriously amazing. The trail builders are doing absolutely awesome work.
    Last edited by Awshucks; 12-25-2014 at 02:50 PM.

mtbr member
    May 2014
    Might do a day trip this Saturday - weather is looking perfect.

mtbr member
    We'll be out there. Then staying in Kingsland and then RPR Sunday. I better Kick this cold!

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Take yer cameras fellas... This Texas board needs some stoke! Also look forward to ride reports.

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    RPR has become my new Fave!! Colo is def up there... Monthly Austin Ridge Riders ride tomorrow @ Pace Bend (Pale face) Lots of riding going on this weekend now that the weather is cooperating! EVERYONE RIDE!! and be safe!

mtbr member
    Will do.

At Colorado Bend we plan on:

Parking at Windmill Gorman Connection>Lively Loop>Lemon Ridge>Left side of cedar chopper>Tinaja>Up old gorman rd>Right side of cedar chopper>lemon rige>down spicewood canyon>river trail>gorman falls trail to parking.

RPR:

Take left onto Race loop>decision point>super d down>race loop to flow trail to go down that and sweet skull> finish race loop.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast