Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    The new map is not online yet, but available at the park.
    It is a 3 mile addition that connect to Cedar Chopper. Great canyon views and vistas.

Dirty minded
    Nov 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by jth442 View Post
    I would definitely be happy to recommend a route. I do believe we can put together a route that meets your expectations. There is currently 33 miles of trail - mainly singletrack. It would probably be easier with a map in front of us.

During the summer, my weekends are Wednesday and Thursday. Any other day, I should be around. But definitely check in with me a few days before.

By the way, we recently opened our new Tinaja Trail - it is definitely one of the more difficult trails in the park.

Jason
    That sounds great. We plan on heading that way Tues., June 24. Hope to be on the bikes by noon.
    PM sent.
    Thank you very much Jason.

Team Livemedium
    Wow 33miles is legit! I'd like to make it up there from Austin. Just wish I could bring my pop up camper. Would it be allowed without hook ups, or are you guys tent only? Any plans to open up for rv's in future?
    Keep trying to do the awesomest thing you've ever done.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by bamwa View Post
    Wow 33miles is legit! I'd like to make it up there from Austin. Just wish I could bring my pop up camper. Would it be allowed without hook ups, or are you guys tent only? Any plans to open up for rv's in future?
    Check out Barefoot Camp and R.V. Park & Sulphur Springs Camp. They are both nearby and on the river. Perhaps one of the two would suit your needs.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Colorado Bend allows RV's, but they must dry camp, because of the primitive facilities.
    So, you should be OK, unless you need the A/C during the night.

Jason

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Spoook View Post
    Shouldn't this be in the Colorado thread?
    Maybe if Colorado bend state park was in Colorado. Since it's in Texas I don't think they'd have any input on how the trails are.
    "The impossible often has a kind of integrity which the merely improbable lacks."
    -Douglas Adams

Dirty minded
    Nov 2008
    Jason would you mind posting up anticipated trail conditions this evening? I know we've had some weather today.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Trails will be good. Only exception would be the River Trail if we get more rain.

Dirty minded
    Nov 2008
    Jason thanks for putting the route options together for us, that was extremely helpful. May be worthwhile having those pre-printed for future riders.
    The trail was much more technical than we had assumed, which made for an interesting, challenging and fun ride.
    It would be nice if bikes were allowed on the “no bicycle” trails. Hikers are more prone to leave the established trail than bikers, so it seemed odd that bikes were not allowed, especially the creek swimming holes and the spring trail. Also, a bike accessible route to the falls would help make it destination worthy.

Truly thanks again. We had a good time and went home whupped, which is exactly what we were looking for.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    What route did you guys end up doing? What kind of mileage did you get? Might be heading down in a couple of days...

Team Livemedium
    yeah dimitrin, what's the recommended route? Might try Sulphur Springs with the pop up.

bprice thanks for the word.
    Keep trying to do the awesomest thing you've ever done.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Dimitri, glad you guys enjoyed the ride. You chose quite an ambitious route.

Jason

Dirty minded
    Nov 2008
    Thanks for the route recommendations. The sky opened up on us on the way home, ruining the map you highlighted for us, otherwise I would have posted a picture of it here for others to use as well.
    I do have one question though... we saw some type of large exotic goat/ deer with really thick horns that had a young kid/fawn with it. What was that animal?

Dirty minded
    Nov 2008
    Some type of ibex or antelope maybe??

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Nope. Dang ol’ chupacobra. Those things bite, you know. Watch out now.

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    Rode a few trails about there today.. Cedar Chopper, Tanaja, River Trail and Dogleg canyon... Some rough stuff on Tanaja... the Ranger that was there said Tanaja would be strenuous..And he would be right.. If you ride this trail I recommend doing it from Cedar Chopper. Some awesome very rough descents, and even tougher ascents... Dogleg canyon is equally tough and coming from the river trail it is for the most part, uphill. but fun as hell!..
    After about 12 miles of trails.. took a little jaunt to the Spicewood creek pool to cool off.. (HIGHLY RECOMMENDED) love this park. Best state park within 100 miles of Austin! gonna go back either This Sunday, or sometime next week..

mtbr member
    Aug 2014

Colorado Bend state park Loop.

Here is the route I took and some video from Cedar Chopper, to Tanaja and down 1st descent. Heading back Sunday or Monday... this time in the early morning for obvious reasons.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Thanks for posting that up Hoffmonster! I see a quick day trip down there in the next couple of weeks now that we're getting back into the school season. Although since it is a couple hour drive, it may have to wait till the temps come down just a bit. I have daydreams about hitting that in the fall for a good all day adventure, followed by knocking back a couple of cold ones to reflect. Such a cool place! Who did the trail work on the Tanaja trail?
    BTW if you're ever up north of Austin or looking for a new place to ride, I recommend you check out Dinosaur Valley State Park if you like rocky / canyons / creek beds / limestone ledgy sections / cactus / plus Dinosaur tracks! My favorite State Park. Also Cleburne State Park is about 20 miles from there with a real good trail system as well that can be quite challenging too. The rocky hills can really give you a work out, plus it has a small natural spring fed lake that is nice to toss the kayaks into for a relaxing paddle around...

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    Could not wait. Went back today and basically looped the park..
    colorado bend big loop by hoffmonster2001 at Garmin Connect - Details
    About 18.5 miles..

Parked down by the entrance down to Spicewood canyon trail as that is where you want to finish. Then head back for a cool swim in the creek pool..

Took river trail (easy) over to gorman falls trail (very rocky and difficult)
    Then to Tie slide (easy) to Heller brakes (easy double track)
    Then took the Gorman windmill connector over to windmill area (moderate) and the Lively loop trail ( very easy double track)
    Took the Windmill trail (easy) through the camping area to the dry creek junction (easy)
    Then on Lively again to Lemons ridge pass (moderate and rocky) the is a very fun trail.. Lots of quick desents and fun rock features. Headed to the Spicewood canyon trail.
    Took the to the Spicewood canyon trail (difficult). I recommend doing this trail from Lemons because it is mostly a descent. And a tough one at that. Riding up it from the river would be a very serious challenge. With lots of bike walking. . This was an awesome trail with beautiful views of the canyon. Not as tough as Tinaja or Dogleg canyon, but darn close.

I'll say it again. This park is the best state park within 100 miles of Austin..
    I live in cedar park so it's even closer. About a 75 minute drive for me..

I took a bunch of video and have to sort through it and see how it turned out. Will post what i can in a day or two.

Would love to ride out here with some other folks. If you decide to head out there message me here and i would be happy to ride with whoever wants to go!!

Hoffmonster

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Cool report and route. I will more than likely try this next visit! Although I want to hit the Tanaja trail, so may start at Cedar Chopper to Tanaja and then follow your route and finish coming back on the River Trail. I'm jones'n to go now! Sounds like a good time...

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    Here are some vids I took yesteday... these are the ones that require no editing..
    the others need some work.

Enjoy!

River trail
    Tie Slide 1
    Tie Slide 2
    Lemons ridge pass
    More Lemons ridge pass
    Spicwood canyon up to scenic overlook

Hoffmonster

mtbr member
    I am going to ride there tomorrow. Appreciate yall sharing recommended routes!
    I ride faster than I should...

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Rubicon73. Sorry I missed your post. I'm not in the park today.
    Hope you have a great ride. Let me know how it goes.
    Jason

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Hoffmonster,
    Thanks for posting all the videos. It is great to see people enjoying the trails. Do you have a favorite trail at the park?
    Also, I'm always looking for trail condition feedback. Any areas that need attention?
    Jason

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jth442 View Post
    Rubicon73. Sorry I missed your post. I'm not in the park today.
    Hope you have a great ride. Let me know how it goes.
    Jason
    I ended up not going bc the weather wasn't supposed to play nice... My next chance will be the 19th. I cannot wait to ride there!
    I ride faster than I should...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast