Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    obsessive bicyclist
    Oct 2008

Anybody ride BULL CREEK in Austin?

I was walking my dog there today and came across what looks to be an awesome trail with some difficult parts on it.. Anybody here ever ridden it?

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    I ride it weekly. Close to home so I am able to do a loop in the little freetime I have. Shoot me a PM if you have questions.

Ken

mtbr member
    May 2004
    1. Sure. There are a few good sections around there. Edit: BC proper might only have 5mi of ST..and some of that is shared with the dog walkers/family hikers.
    2. It is a known homosexual hookup spot, so watch your ass.
    Last edited by CharacterZero; 11-06-2008 at 08:14 AM.

Lucky...
    Apr 2008
    Used to be one of the premier rides in Austin, until the Golden Butt Warbler closed it down. The Forest Ridge preserve had some classic trails; Bloody Lip being one of my faves.
    Last edited by Mr Bacon Jr; 11-06-2008 at 12:36 PM.

mtbr member
    May 2004

clarification.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Bacon Jr
    Used to be one of the premier rides in Austin, until the Golden Butt Warbler closed it down. The Forest Ridge preserve had some classic trails; Bloody Lip being one of my faves.
    Bull Creek is still a city park. Forrest Ridge preserve is closed down.
    Last edited by CharacterZero; 11-06-2008 at 12:17 PM.

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    My father-in-law rides it almost every day. It's a fun little course.

obsessive bicyclist
    Oct 2008
    Well I get my bike on Monday, so I will go test it out.

As for illegal sexual acts, how much of a threat do you actually think that is? I mean if it still occurs, I would think it would be at night, not during the afternoon. what do you think?
    Last edited by Lonzilla; 11-11-2008 at 04:32 PM.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    I don't think you will have to worry about someone forcing you from your bike to convince you to perform an unmentionable act. I haven't seen this "cruising" during the times I have been on the trail. Enjoy your ride.

Builder of Trails
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Lonzilla
    As for illegal sexual acts, how much of a threat do you actually think that is? I mean if it still occurs, I would think it would be at night, not during the afternoon. what do you think?
    Nope, it doesn't occur as frequently at night b/c the people who are doing it go home to their wives and kids. From the arrests made in undercover stings by APD throughout the years, many were married professionals and evidently closet homosexuals. They get chased from park to park.

My brother was propositioned at Bull Creek in 1995. Mark H. and all the trail users at Walnut Creek helped chase them away from the area around the pool to over by the softball fields. I've seen stuff that I didn't want to see a mere six feet from the trail. At one point, the activity was an issue at Pease Park, but the affluent residents of that area were able to get APD to drive them away seemingly permanenently.

D

mtbr member
    Sep 2007

Used to ride there a few years back

I remember the first time going down Kens trail next to the cliff with my butt almost touching my back tire not even realizing the drop off next to me until I got to the bottom where the overlook is..
    Miss that trail, there used to be a few nice climbs that were full of baby head size rocks.

Quote Originally Posted by Lonzilla
    Well I get my bike on Monday, so I will go test it out. According to one of the maps I looked at, I think I saw the Ken's Trail part of it.. Here's the map I looked at, so you'll know where I was referring to (link from austinbike.com): http://www.hillcountrytrailrunners.c..._BullCreek.gif

mtbr member
    May 2004
    deleted
    Last edited by CharacterZero; 11-11-2008 at 04:31 PM.

obsessive bicyclist
    Oct 2008
    That map wasn't accurate, the spot I looked at was closer the park area off of Lakewood. It was a fun little cruise though, especially being so close to my house.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    I was bummed when I learned the map was out dated. I was looking forward to revisiting those hills at Forest Ridge. It has been more than 10 years since I rode em.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Pair0dimes
    I was bummed when I learned the map was out dated. I was looking forward to revisiting those hills at Forest Ridge. It has been more than 10 years since I rode em.
    Yeah, I have friends who learned how to ride there...but we aren't allowed there anymore, due to what is assumed on the impact of MTB on the GCW's nesting.

Oh, those apartments don't affect the birds though.

Spring! Spring! Spring!
    Yeah, FR closed to us (non bird watchers) in '01 I think.

Real suckage. Great fun riding there for all of 18 months.

Currywurst
    Jul 2008
    rode Bull Creek just about every day from the house when i lived there in 98-2000....there were some great trails up top that are surly closed - dang enviornmentalist and the bird...like the apartments on the other side help.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Just to revive...I rode here yesterday. There is some very sweet/technical singletrack in this area. I combine this ride with a ride out and back far west putting together a total of 13 miles and about 1,600 ft of climbing. The trail is in great condition. But man, climbing back up far west, talk about a credit card ride.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Deko View Post
    Just to revive...I rode here yesterday. There is some very sweet/technical singletrack in this area. I combine this ride with a ride out and back far west putting together a total of 13 miles and about 1,600 ft of climbing. The trail is in great condition. But man, climbing back up far west, talk about a credit card ride.
    Where is it? Never heard of bull creek.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    One of the trailheads is here:
    Google Maps

See where Laurelwood dead ends in the center of the map? The trailhead is there.

Here's a shot from the trail:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Anybody ride BULL CREEK in Austin?-bull-creek-2.jpg  

Last edited by Deko; 10-09-2012 at 07:30 AM.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Deko View Post
    adsdsfasdfasdf
    Is that an official trailhead? I'd only put official ones on here...

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by CharacterZero View Post
    Is that an official trailhead? I'd only put official ones on here...
    The trailhead is official - hiking and biking. Wherever you go from there...well...you're on your own.

mtbr member
    You'll find a link to the trailhead here (it's gotta' be official with a kiosk and all :P ), as well as two maps and plenty of photos.
    Pedigre

mtbr member
    I recently moved to the north side of Austin pretty close to Bull Creek GB. I plan to ride there on the odd weekday morning when i am off work. I went hiking there the other day and found a LOT more trail than I did on my first visit, so I am heading out there again soon. PM me if you want to get lost with me out there some time or if you know the trail better and want to show me around.

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by mack_turtle View Post
    I recently moved to the north side of Austin pretty close to Bull Creek GB. I plan to ride there on the odd weekday morning when i am off work. I went hiking there the other day and found a LOT more trail than I did on my first visit, so I am heading out there again soon. PM me if you want to get lost with me out there some time or if you know the trail better and want to show me around.
    Welcome to austin. I am taking a newbie out for a BCGB ride this saturday if you want to tag along.
    Austin Mountain Biking and worldwide travel pictures:

http://www.austinbike.com

mtbr member
    bummer, I have to work on saturday.

I took my bike, single speed rigid 29er, out to Bull again this morning. I found endless trails all along that hillside that overlooks the creek and TX360. I spent about 1/3 of my time walking un-rideable (for me at least) trails. I need to stop following rabbit trails and stick to the obvious trails.

seriously considering putting a RD on my bike so I can maintain momentum while climbing some of that crazy stuff.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast