mtbr member
    Mar 2014

any sort of down-hill in Houston, anywhere?

Preferably NW houston?

Anything at all? bike park? long set of stairs to ride down?

I can find great flat stuff, but nothing with even a little sustained slope...

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Have you looked at the levy around Ad***** Reservoir?
    Rick Ankrum
    www.texbiker.net
    Texas Bicycling News, Events and Experiences

mtbr member

Re: any sort of down-hill in Houston, anywhere?

Dripping springs has Freeride512. Lil bit of a drive for ya tho.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk 2

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    Don't bemoan the fact that you have no downhill, learn to love the local trails. It's like moving to London and complaining that you can't get good tex mex there.

Figure out what the riding scene is and embrace it. We have a lot of people in Austin that constant whine that dh was so much better where they came from. Just change your outlook and you'll fit right in.
    Austin Mountain Biking and worldwide travel pictures:

http://www.austinbike.com

mtbr member
    Huntsville. The State Park has the most elevation change in the Houston area. If you really want to ride stairs the Sam Houston campus has some good ones.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    try a parking garage at night we bomb them late at night on longboards sometimes.

mtbr member
    Well to get any "downhill" type of riding your gonna have to go out W E S T as in Lajitas or El Paso the closest to Houston that I can think is Flat Rock Ranch - Comfort, Texas

Here is a nice decent and flowy stuff out in Lajitas I took a few years ago.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Take up dirt jumping

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Freeride 512 at Twin Parks in Dripping Springs, TX. Absolutely worth the drive.

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    Thx all.

Dripping springs is not all that far away. Will check out Huntsville too.

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by B Gillespie View Post
    Freeride 512 at Twin Parks in Dripping Springs, TX. Absolutely worth the drive.
    Freeride is fun if you're into jump lines and wood features, it's certainly not DH, not technical, and runs last no longer than a minute. If you want to get out, jump, hit fast flowy lines, and some rowdy DJ jumps with wood features freeride is your place. Be sure to pack your balls, some jumps requires you to have a pair!

If you want down hill, techy, and speed with distance free ride is not your place. Look into govn canyon in San Antonio, or flat rock ranch in comfort. Keep in mind this is texas so don't expect porc rim or the whole enchilada type downhill but they are fun none the less. You will have to earn that DH with lots of climbing but they are worth it. Flat rock ranch has a longer DH run than government canyon, more extensive trail network and more climbing. Government canyon is more technical, steeper, faster but shorter and the trail network isn't neatly as extensive as flat rock ranch. Austin has some fun quick "DH" runs. Look into walnut creek and Emma long, both are a blast but short runs and outside of texas couldn't quite be called DH. I've been lucky enough to travel colorado, Utah, Arizona, the pacific NW riding and texas can't hold a candle to their DH. However we have some amazingly fun single track that you can carry speed on and have an absolute blast. We have some very technical rocky trails, buff single track and parks with awesome DJ jumps. As someone mentioned above, adapt and you will have a blast, look for true downhill and you'll always be unhappy. Best of luck!

bike rider
    I live near the Cypresswood trails and we go to Austin quite a bit. We just got back from downhilling in AngelFire and we're going again over Labor Day. You are welcome to come with us anytime. PM me or call 281-251-6115.

I've downhilled all over this country and Whistler too. XC just doesn't do it for me after I get back from a good DH trip. It takes me weeks to get back into it.
    I got some pretty decent Niners!