mtbr member
    May 2007

Any San Marcos riders out there?

Anybody out there live in or close to San Marcos?

Looking at possibly relocating my family to the New Branfels / San Marcos area, and being able to transfer within my job there, I am curious about the area.

We live in North Texas, 35 miles south of Fort Worth in a small town, where the closest trail is 20 miles (Cleburne state park) and the next closest is 40+ miles (Dinosaur Valley state park in Glen Rose). Both are challenging, rocky and scenic with small lakes and a couple of rivers for kyaking. There are a few other trails within 45-50 miles.

I would like to know how many options there are for good trail riding close by?(within 30-40 mins.)We also enjoy hiking and kyaking...

We have enjoyed what we have here but we're looking to broaden our horizons and would like to find someplace that offers more options within a reasonable drive, and the hill country seems like a logical place to inquire!

mtbr member
    May 2008
    I live in New Braunfels. You have several good options. Many in Austin, but really close to you are two good ones. Purgatory Creek in San Marcos and Madrone at Canyon Lake. Check both of those out.

-Randy

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Thanks man, I checked out the two you mentioned and they looked cool. I definitely like the hills, rocks, roots, cedars, flat singletrack with flow, climbs and downs. Nice to have some water too! Thanks again!

In relation to San Marcos, which direction would have more options close by N-S-E-W?

mtbr member
    May 2008
    North toward Austin and also west of Austin are best in my opinion. San Antonio has a few good ones too. The closest to you in SA will be Macallister Park, which is ok I guess. Tons of trails - but mostly tame, with a few rolling hills. It's great for a speed\cardio day, but short on technical stuff and lung burning climbs. My personal favorite is Purgartory Creek in San Marcos - it's a happy medium between hills/speed/rocks. Madrone is a really cool trail too, but mostly technical rocks and such. Gorgeous views through out the ride with the water front property. It's a slower ride but still a ton of fun.

See you out there sometime.

Randy

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Great info. I'll start researching the area with maybe a visit or two with the bikes in the next couple of months.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by randy m View Post
    I live in New Braunfels. You have several good options. Many in Austin, but really close to you are two good ones. Purgatory Creek in San Marcos and Madrone at Canyon Lake. Check both of those out.

-Randy
    This

I'm also in New Braunfels. Both purgatory and madrone are 30 min from my house. Monday I rode purgatory and today madrone. Between San Antonio and Austin there are tons of places to ride.

mtbr member
    Any San Marcos riders out there?-imageuploadedbytapatalk1345780198.029994.jpg
    Purgatory

Any San Marcos riders out there?-imageuploadedbytapatalk1345780236.441321.jpg
    Madrone

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    used to ride there for school but now I'm back in dallas...some tough clubs around campus haha

mtbr member
    May 2007
    That's funny how I get about the same mileage from both of my default trails...although more can be had by mixing things up!

Thanks for the feedback

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    If I weren't going back to San Marcos strictly to drink (maybe watch the Tech game), I would bring my bike!
    I didn't know either of the trails existed. I was there in the late 90's and I only knew about University Park. They sound great. I'll have to plan another trip, I guess!
    -Carlos

Flux

mtbr member
    We are going to pur tomorrow...11 am

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    have you ridden rowlett creek preserve? (not sure where in dallas you are). im moving to sm for school and rowlett creek is the most technical ive done, however i dont walk any of it.