mtbr member
    May 2007

Any North Texans using a dropper seat post?

Seems like dropper posts are all the rage these days. Just one more thing I don't have that, IMHO, further complicates a relatively simple idea. I realize my bike is already complicated with front and rear suspension, disc brakes and ,gasp,3chainrings and a nine speed cassette

But do I need a dropper post? It seems unnecessary for the terrain in this area, in particular the lack of extended downhill. However, I am long legged and I have to raise my seat post pretty high to get full extension on climbs raising my center of gravity too much for the rest of the trail.

I don't care for cluttering up my bars with a remote button, so I would be looking at the lever type at the nose of the seat.

Any input from those with or without a dropper is welcomed!

mtbr member
    Mar 2012

Any North Texans using a dropper seat post?

I don't see any reason for using a dropper in north Texas unless you are hitting the downhill sections at Big Cedar a dropper post is just a good way to spend a bunch of money and add weight to your bike.

Obviously that's just my opinion.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    When I'm not riding I help beginner mountain bikers learn new skills at Texas Mountain Bike Trails.

No talent hack
    Nov 2010
    Being a taller fella, I understand the desire to run a dropper. There isn't a reason to run them around here by means of techincal trails, but there really isn't a reason to run anything more than a fully rigid 7 speed either. Just count it as a luxury only you can decide if you like. I have heard it go 2 ways.... you either buy one and never use it or you buy one, get use to it and never go back. I would love to be able to drop the seat even just a couple of inches from optimal riding height on command... so yeah... a dropper is on my list of wants.
    Fat guys need bikes too.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    I agree with both of you! ^^ Not crazy about the idea of having one more expensive moving part that is sure to need maintenance / repair!

Certainly it wont be necessary on some trails around here. But on the rockier more technical trails I frequently ride, I always seem to try and find a happy medium on post height. Usually ends up being too low when climbing and still too high for getting around the rocks and tech without feeling like my butt is shoved between my shoulder blades. All thanks to my 36 inch inseam!!

I've seen a couple on ebay on the cheaper end for around $150ish, which is about as much as I would want to spend not being 100% sure I will love it...

mtbr member
    It's not something you need for a non mountain state. Dropper posts are designed for long descents. With the short ups and downs found in Texas you would be messing with the seat height constantly. Seems like it would be more annoying than helpful.

Spend the money on a 2X10 conversion.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    My concern as well. May hold off but if I change my mind I will post up!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by pleepleus View Post
    It's not something you need for a non mountain state. Dropper posts are designed for long descents. With the short ups and downs found in Texas you would be messing with the seat height constantly. Seems like it would be more annoying than helpful.

Spend the money on a 2X10 conversion.
    I live in Austin and use mine all the time. In fact, the very fact that there are no long descents in TX makes the argument FOR a dropper IMO. in Colorado, if you climb for an hour, get to the top and are about to start descending, you can manually lower your post and leave it that way for the entire descent.

in TX, you will climb for a minute or two, descend for 30 seconds, climb for another 2 minutes, descend a bit, climb a bit, descend a bit...repeat X 50

if any of those descents are steep/rocky/technical, a lower seat will help. being able to quickly lower/raise your seat will help a ton.

that said, I lived in DFW for several years and never rode with a dropper. there arent a ton of big drops/ledges so you can more easily get away without one.

Riding with a dropper, I am much more confident in hitting drops at City Park or the Greenbelt here in Austin. it allows you to get much better body position, much easier/quicker. i cant imagine riding without one.

its not a neccessity, but it is very nice to have and will improve your riding and confidence. you will be able to confidently take drops/ledges/technical areas more confidently

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Another Austin person here endorsing droppers. Even on a flow trail like Walnut Creek droppers can come in handy. Drop the post before you start hitting the banked turns fast and that enables you to lower your weight closer to your bottom bracket. That equals faster turns with more control. Ever hit a pump track? There's a reason all those guys slam their seats. I can't endorse dropper posts enough. Probably the most effective upgrade you can give your bike outside of a quality wheelset. If you are just riding flat and smooth trails with no tech features, I can see the reluctance. But that's also what CX bikes are for.

mtbr member
    I ride in the Dallas area and find mine useful. I have recently placed the remote in an optimal position, so it's easy to take 1s to drop the seat for a descent and pop it back up after. Before that, it was a bit of a pain to use. I'm glad I have it.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    I should mention my 2 main (closer to home) trails are Cleburne St. Park / Dinosaur Valley St. Park. Then it branches out to Big Cedar Wilderness / Cameron Park and various other DFW trails that are fewer and farther between. When time allows I head further south for day trips to Central Tx. trails which include Rocky Hill Ranch / Reveille Peak Ranch / and recently Colorado Bend St. Park. I will hopefully ad to this list over spring break!

I definitely prefer these type of rougher / rockier trails. They also happen to be scenic... But mostly, my ride is a pretty burly Intense Tracer 29, and it's just a bit overkill riding on smooth trails. I would eventually like a hardtail! Also, I am new to the 29er wheel, which is a bit more awkward than my previous Yeti 575 26er.

I have been riding without a dropper now for 10 years so I have managed this far. You guys have all made some valid points and sadly, I have felt my self go back and forth after reading each post...

mtbr member
    You'll be much happier, and use it more, if you get one with a handlebar remote. Half the times I decide to use mine not are in places where you'd want to take a hand off the bar. I also ride in Austin and like the tech stuff.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by keithrad View Post
    I should mention my 2 main (closer to home) trails are Cleburne St. Park / Dinosaur Valley St. Park. Then it branches out to Big Cedar Wilderness / Cameron Park and various other DFW trails that are fewer and farther between. When time allows I head further south for day trips to Central Tx. trails which include Rocky Hill Ranch / Reveille Peak Ranch / and recently Colorado Bend St. Park. I will hopefully ad to this list over spring break!

I definitely prefer these type of rougher / rockier trails. They also happen to be scenic... But mostly, my ride is a pretty burly Intense Tracer 29, and it's just a bit overkill riding on smooth trails. I would eventually like a hardtail! Also, I am new to the 29er wheel, which is a bit more awkward than my previous Yeti 575 26er.

I have been riding without a dropper now for 10 years so I have managed this far. You guys have all made some valid points and sadly, I have felt my self go back and forth after reading each post...
    if you ride anywhere with a good amount of ledges/drops and switch to a dropper, youll wonder how you ever did it without it. go ride City Park back to back, first with a dropper, 2nd without one. youll be begging for the dropper within a quarter mile of the start of your second ride.

mtbr member
    On the bike itself, the only two arguments against droppers are weight and cockpit clutter. (Off the bike, you've got price, reliability, etc, etc., but I'm just talking about riding with a working post right now) It doesn't sound like weight is a huge concern to you or you're an XC racer boi. I can understand the clutter issue. I never really saw the mass appeal of a 1x system until I added a dropper remote to the mix. Now, I'm in the process of a 1x10 conversion because I like the dropper so much and want it to be even easier to use. (Left side drops, right side shifts) Again, I don't think I'd use it nearly as much if the lever was under the seat. If it's hard to use, you won't use it. Period. If you do use it, you'll love it no matter where you live.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by sooner518 View Post
    go ride City Park back to back ...
    Pardon my ignorance, but what's City Park?

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by objectuser View Post
    Pardon my ignorance, but what's City Park?
    I believe sooner518 is referring to Emma Long Park in Austin...I've never been there but have read about it's technical prowess! I would like to check it out though.

I went out to Big Cedar Wilderness yesterday and had my a$$ handed to me after 13+ miles! Lately I've been sitting around eating and drinking too much and internet mountain biking instead of riding and exercising and was reminded that a dropper post doesn't matter if I'm not on the bike!!

I think for now I will wait on purchasing a dropper post...Not because I'm opposed to the idea, but rather because now It's an issue of which type (remote vs. manual) and brand. The more I look into it, the more expensive I want to go, and there are other things that I need when it comes to spending a few hundred $'s.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    There is one other factor that I'd consider; can you ride better with your seat lower?

If you're an ex-BMX guy the dropper is something you'll likely benefit from. If you aren't into jumping and doubling stuff, or squeezing the tech sections for a little extra speed then maybe it would be a waste of $.

I know I can do about 80%!of the same stuff without a dropper, but it adds a level of fun to that other 20 that outweighs the expense/complications/weight easily!
    ORP

mtbr member
    I went out to Big Cedar Wilderness yesterday and had my a$$ handed to me after 13+ miles!
    Big Cedar is definitely the place to go for a workout. I never leave there thinking I could do a bit more. The two bricked climbs are a fun challenge.

Last time I went there I went through the tunnel. I don't know if that's new or not but coming back out three was a bunch of water. I'll skip that part next time. ;-)

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    I believe sooner518 is referring to Emma Long Park in Austin...I've never been there but have read about it's technical prowess! I would like to check it out though.
    It's on City Park Dr south of 2222 just west of 360 here in Austin. Very techy stuff. That's where I go to test a bike that's not a pure XC machine out to see what it is capable of.

I have Flat Pedal shame.
    Nov 2011
    I use my dropper cornering, descending, going over rocks, jumping, switchbacks, sitting, coasting, etc. Actually, now that I think about it, my dropper is only in the up position when I am climbing or when I am trying to shift (which is rare).
    I don't care what you ride or how you ride just as long as you ride.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    I agree, also only have my seat fully extended on climbs, flat trails or when I need to rest my legs. It helps for shifting too. My rides are more fun and sometimes safer when I can get my seat out if the way. You'll use it way more than you think you will. After awhile it gets to be like everything else. It gets to be second nature. I don't think about clipping in and out, braking or shifting. Same with my dropper. I will always have a dropper on all of my bikes. Maybe not a rigid single speed, but I might. It's that good. Changes your whole ride. Go with the remote. Who has a front derailer anymore anyway.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    I'm in DFW and couldn't imagine riding without one now that I've had one for the last year. In short, riding with a dropper makes big things smaller and my "downhill" speed and ability increased dramatically. It's easy to drop it down, get it done, and put it right back up for a quick climb. I would say I use my dropper just as much or more than I do my front derailleur (which will be going away here shortly)

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Getting close to picking up a KS e-ten lever actuated dropper. Found a few online for under $120. I know a bunch of you have said get a remote, but I'm thinking within a budget. Also I don't want my bar any more cluttered. BTW I have changed bikes since first posting this thread. I am now on a Yeti SB95a. Awesome bike!! Love the handling of this thing.

After a few rides lately I have noticed instances where my seat height is really pissing me off. Firstly, cresting a small rooty rocky hill on a roller coaster section and having a misplaced rock and tree stump at the top causing me to have to get off quick but being so high up could not get my foot on the ground and over I went to the falling away side of the hill down to the creek below. Maybe unavoidable even with a dropper. Another time, coming down a sketchy descent on a newer (to me) section of trail I found, the nose of my seat hung up on my spandex shorts and nearly caused a train wreck. I mention spandex because normally I ride with board shorts over them but in this heat I go with the cooler option. I understand the saddle hooking on baggies but the spandex? Also when cornering with my outside foot down at 6 o'clock and trying to lean into it, the seat is right there pushing my ass between my shoulders making maneuvering awkward with my high center of gravity. I think I'm ready to give a dropper post a try now!

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Pulled the trigger on this:

KS Eten Lever Seatpost > Components > Saddles and Seatposts > Seatposts | Jenson USA

After looking at some youtube videos discussing the lever actuated type dropper, I think it will work fine for me. Looking forward to seeing what the fuss is all about!