mtbr member

Any Kayakers here??

Looking to pickup a yak here in the next few weeks for touring coastal waters down south. Any other kayakers out here??

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    yes. i am about as good a kayaker as mountain biker...actually own more kayaks than mountain bikes however.
    how far south?

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    Yes indeed.

You might check out the texaskayakfisherman forum : TexasKayakFisherman.com ? Index page

There is also the PACKTX group : PACKTX > Home

I don't live on the coast, but I have had both of my yaks down there a few times.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    My wife and I picked up a couple of sit on tops a couple of years ago. Not too knowledgeable on the sport other than what we have done with ours. The drought has really affected the rivers close to us (Brazos / Paluxy), so we have mostly paddled in the small lake at Cleburne State Park which is also quite low now. Need to get them out more now! Will check out these links...Thx beechnut.

mtbr member
    May 2013
    The Coastal Paddling trails are quite nice down here (Port Lavaca, Magnolia, Freeport, etc...). Pretty much the whole bay area is great for a yak. Be sure of your skills though, an ocean yak will fair good down here, though I use a sit in (very rough with the waves/wind). If you're into fishing, it doesn't get better than on a yak.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Yeah I have a pelican sit inside but like a poster mentioned earlier the drought has been brutal on my local river (lampasas). I used to be able to do a 15 mile route but now if I wanted to go out my choices are a lake (boring IMO) or rivers that are farther away. Part of me wishes it would rain more so I could kayak more then part of me realizes that would mean less mountain biking, hah.

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    Yep...paddled a lot. Quick advice...get a touring kayak 15.5' long or longer of a volume to match your weight/size, with either a rudder or drop down skeg.

Accessorize with: the lightest paddle that you are willing to spend the money on (kinda like light wheels) as you lift the paddle 100's of times every mile, bilge pump, paddle float, learn how to self rescue when you tip over, a well fitting pfd, water shoes that don't have straps to catch on the footbraces (think upside down under water, foot caught...), a way to transport your kayak...roof rack or trailer.

That'll get you started.

Local shops often have demo days where you can try out different boats.

Have fun!

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by keithrad View Post
    My wife and I picked up a couple of sit on tops a couple of years ago. Not too knowledgeable on the sport other than what we have done with ours. The drought has really affected the rivers close to us (Brazos / Paluxy), so we have mostly paddled in the small lake at Cleburne State Park which is also quite low now. Need to get them out more now! Will check out these links...Thx beechnut.

The ~20mi paddle from the Possum Kingdom tailrace to the Hwy 4 take out (Rochelle's) is still doable even with our dismal water conditions. I've done this trip a few times as an overnighter, and also as a 2 nighter. In my experience, it's best enjoyed as liesurely as possible.

Here's some pics from a brazos trip:
    Brazos Trip - May 2008

A few years back we went to yellowstone and did a little backcountry paddling there:
    Yellowstone Trip 2008

mtbr member
    May 2012
    I have a Ocean Kayak Trident 15 and love it great in the bays south of Houston , nice long and stable ,,, I would suggest if you get a long yak take the hit and get the rudder makes paddling distance so much nicer.............

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Cool pics beechnut. That Brazos trip looked like a big event... Where in Texas was that? I wonder if the Brazos is still as bountiful there now, as it was in 2008. Very shallow up here in North Texas.

I've also been out to Moab and Arches National Park, as well as Fruita / Grand Junction and it's all killer country..... But never been to Wyoming! Wow that's beautiful. That buffalo #1 pic, are you sure that's not a Sasquatch?

Thanks for sharing the adventures!

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Texanaggie View Post
    I have a Ocean Kayak Trident 15 and love it great in the bays south of Houston , nice long and stable ,,, I would suggest if you get a long yak take the hit and get the rudder makes paddling distance so much nicer.............
    Trident is the way to go in the bay for sure.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by lusidd View Post
    Trident is the way to go in the bay for sure.
    agreed I love that thing; I leave my buddy behind on the long paddles just not the greatest when we get into the narrow marshes its a 18 wheeler turning and tight but I can live with that

BBW
    mtbr member
    man what a great pics! definitely in my near future; I can see myself enjoying this as a full hobby
    BBW. MS, RD

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by vanjr View Post
    yes. i am about as good a kayaker as mountain biker...actually own more kayaks than mountain bikes however.
    how far south?
    Im down in Houston. I started this thread and just evaporated, lol.

I'm looking at picking up a Necky Manitou 146R.

mtbr member

Re: Any Kayakers here??

Kayak is inbound. Anyone want to try and meet up in the near future?

mtbr member

Any Kayakers here??

Kayak was delivered today!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Any Kayakers here??-imageuploadedbytapatalk-hd1369778890.450946.jpg  

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Nice...Enjoy!!

I need to get a longer boat!

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    I have a few kayaks, love to paddle. Also in Houston. Buffalo bayou is fun.