Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Jan 2011

Anthills and Memorial Park Trail Conditions

Hello

I will be in Houston starting tomorrow and hoping to get some rides in this week.

I checked GHORBA but could not find recent trail conditions for these two trails with the rain last two days.

If anyone has info please post.
    Thanks.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Heavy rain today killed Memorial Park gonna be a couple dry days before it's good to go. I assume the Anthills are in similar shape but I haven't been out there since last Saturday.

You don't understand how badly I want to hit those trails. Damn rain.

XC racer
    May 2005
    Don't know if you're already familiar with where these trails are but here's a great link to decipher trail conditions Harris County Flood Warning System - Harris County, Texas. It's an interactive map that shows rain gauges all over the city and surrounding area. Looks like the Ant Hills got less than 1/10" in the last 24 hours, as dry as it's been they are probably okay. Memorial Park, although just a couple miles from my house, is just too depressing to ride these days anyway, I wouldn't bother.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    I just bike Memorial and it's way too wet. I had to pull off the trail because I was leaving tracks. It looks OK but it's just too soft

Memorial may not be the best in Houston but it's proximity to the city makes it an incredible little treasure. If you're fast enough it's fun as hell--certainly not "depressing". Ride the Trianlge at an 8-9mph pace and I assure you it's a blast.

XC racer
    May 2005
    When I say depressing....I whistfully remember the "old days" when I started mtb'ing in '96. Memorial Park then had over 15 miles of trail in a lush forest that made you forget you were in the middle of the city. Now, with over half of the trails closed, and the drought induced deforestation, it's just a shadow of its former self. I can ride from my house to the park but rarely do anymore, it's over-ridden, over-crowded, and I'd rather go further to something nicer.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Not what is used to be from what I hear but I like it because it's so close. And there's very little traffic at the Triangle, and even less out at the closed "illegal" trails that I ride every week

I wouldn't drive 30min to get to them but damn it's nice to hop on my bike and cruise from downtown for a nightride out there--when there's nobody around and it's cooler--then cruise back for a shower and bed. Love it and won't move because of it haha

XC racer
    May 2005
    I don't ride closed trails, that's a good way to get the rest of them there closed. To each their own, I usually do bike path or road rides during the week, then go to Double Lake, Huntsville, Ant Hills, Cypresswood, etc on the weekends.

mtbr member

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by HAL 9000 View Post
    Can you please tell me more about that route? Never been that far past Eldridge. Love long rides....very interested but don't wanna get bored out there.

Much appreciated

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Justinwzpoakes View Post
    Can you please tell me more about that route? Never been that far past Eldridge. Love long rides....very interested but don't wanna get bored out there.

Much appreciated
    keep going out to hwy 6 ride around the dam get to s barker cypress road ride to the the dam take a right and then just follow the trail it's pretty easy just look AT the map plenty of water stops along the way.

google maps is your friend use it and make your own route

Wanderer
    That route is awful, its like the serengeti. Ride Memorial Park instead.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Toff View Post
    That route is awful, its like the serengeti. Ride Memorial Park instead.
    That's exactly what I was worried about. Thanks

mtbr member
    yeah better keep to what you know don't ever think about exploring new routes to ride.

Wanderer
    Actually I was joking. I live right on that route and enjoy it quite a bit for long peaceful rides. I do enjoy not having many people on it as not alot know about parts of it so was poking fun at Hal for putting up a map of it.

mtbr member
    I do enjoy not having many people on it as not alot know about parts of it so was poking fun at Hal for putting up a map of it.
    Some of us know about that route and others from way back when there were weekly Saturday morning rides outta the Terry Hershey park on the Anthills. Then it became a "Secret Route" for myself it became long forgotten till just recently I've ridden a variation of it at least once a week for at least six months now and only have encountered a couple other cyclists on the further reaches of the trail.

You can make this ride much longer 60 miles or as short as 30 that is the beauty of it you can make anything you want.

There are plenty of H20 stops if you plan the ride correctly but i'll take a few bucks with me for some ice cold water at the gas station at Hwy 6 and Noble Road. It's a good ride to do solo I'll have some Coldplay queued up on the I pod and just ride... You can do it on a cyclocross bike or mt.bike however the CX bike will be prone to more flats riding on the rocky dam surface however just last week I sliced open a Mtb tire on a sharp piece of rock so just make sure you bring a tube and a couple of C02's or it's a L O N G walk back.

There are critters out there and I've run across deer, feral hogs, snakes, alligators, turtles and even a feral cat along with this creepy crawly.

Here is another ride that some call the "double dam" it's pretty straight forward and good for endurance training with out having to drive outta town to get some decent road miles in.

Untitled by wmoritz1 at Garmin Connect - Details

Wanderer
    I was riding home from a party at a house back there at 2 am one time and got caught up in a herd of at least 40 pigs. I could have reached out and touched a few but luckily they all dodged me and just ran off. Crazy night. Saw a large bobcat out there after dark one night. You can see an alligator every ride back there if you want. Coyotes too.

You spider pic sucks, this is a spider pic.

Anthills and Memorial Park Trail Conditions-imgp0063.jpg

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    @mtbscott thanks for the feedback/info. I went out this morning and rode from the Galeria area where I'm staying to MP. First time to these trails. Rode parts of the yellow, red, blue and orange and then met another rider who showed me where the triangle was. Enjoyed that trail the most. Then finished up riding green out and back. All the trails are actually in very good condition. Hope to get back out there tomorrow or the weekend.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Actually I was joking. I live right on that route and enjoy it quite a bit for long peaceful rides. I do enjoy not having many people on it as not alot know about parts of it so was poking fun at Hal for putting up a map of it.
    Damn you got me. I wasn't even going to try it after you wrote that. Thanks for straightening it out. I'm headed out there tomorrow morning and riding everything on that map.

Hal, I love you.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by singapore-saki View Post
    @mtbscott thanks for the feedback/info. I went out this morning and rode from the Galeria area where I'm staying to MP. First time to these trails. Rode parts of the yellow, red, blue and orange and then met another rider who showed me where the triangle was. Enjoyed that trail the most. Then finished up riding green out and back. All the trails are actually in very good condition. Hope to get back out there tomorrow or the weekend.
    Was at MP this morning and it was in good shape....surprised it dried out so quickly.

You should def try the Anthills if you get a chance...its more challenging. I'm headed out there tomorrow...hit me up if you want a guide or whatever. You don't really need one out there though.

Jack Brooks is the best in the area though if you've got some extra time. It's a ~30min drive from the Galleria

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by mtbscott View Post
    I don't ride closed trails, that's a good way to get the rest of them there closed. To each their own, I usually do bike path or road rides during the week, then go to Double Lake, Huntsville, Ant Hills, Cypresswood, etc on the weekends.
    Aparently youre out of the loop on this one. Ross Sidman, the district 3 warden for Tx Parks & wildlife, told us that although portions of the MTB trail are marked "closed", they are only closed to the extent that TPWL will not maintenance them. The public is welcome to use them at their own risk.

Ross is very friendly and he's usually available if you call the Harris County branch office. I'm sure he will clear up any confusion you may have.

I ride out there almost every day, as do others and numerous hikers. It's significantly more technical though, so many don't enjoy it. Def not flowy flatland like everything else out the. I love it.

XC racer
    May 2005
    Aparently youre out of the loop on this one. Ross Sidman, the district 3 warden for Tx Parks & wildlife, told us that although portions of the MTB trail are marked "closed", they are only closed to the extent that TPWL will not maintenance them. The public is welcome to use them at their own risk.

Ross is very friendly and he's usually available if you call the Harris County branch office. I'm sure he will clear up any confusion you may have. TX Parks and Wildlife has nothing to do with the management of of Memorial Park, the City of Houston and ultimately the Memorial Park Conservancy do

I ride out there almost every day, as do others and numerous hikers. It's significantly more technical though, so many don't enjoy it. Def not flowy flatland like everything else out the. I love it.
    I'm confused. I interpreted you as saying you ride the closed trails within Memorial Park. The Texas Parks and Wildlife Department has nothing to do with the management of Memorial Park. The City of Houston and ultimately the Memorial Park Conservancy determine its fate, and ignoring the closed signs there could eventually ban cyclists from them. Things have been much better in recent years but this was something that was fought for over a decade ago when the park wanted us out for good.
    So where are these "unmaintained" trails that you ride?

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    I dont know how to describe where they are. I mean, its every trail out there. Look for signs that say "closed" and proceed. Call the warden responsible for adjudicating that region for details. I've never spoken with anyone from MP Conservancy, and every single person that is employed by the C of Houston is mentally retarded so it's pointless contacting them. TPWL has been helpful when I need clarification on something or need to report downed trees and whatnot. They are responsible for maintaining the trails and general operations.

None of this matters to me though. I ride every trail I find, no matter what. If I get stopped or questioned--which hasn't happened once in 10 years--I'll just say I'm from out of town and confused. No biggie. I ride private property all the time too. Some of the best stuff in Houston is "illegal."

mtbr member

None of this matters to me though. I ride every trail I find, no matter what. If I get stopped or questioned--which hasn't happened once in 10 years--I'll just say I'm from out of town and confused. No biggie. I ride private property all the time too. Some of the best stuff in Houston is "illegal."

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    I know, I know. Sorry guys but that's just the way it is.

XC racer
    May 2005
    You are what gives mountainbikers a bad name. It's all about you, not about the big picture. Whatever you think, I again reiterate the Texas Parks and Wildlife has absolutely nothing to do with Memorial Park's trails. They do not maintain anything there, for the most part the heavy lifting is done by Houston Park Department's workers and the ongoing trail maintenance is done by GHORBA led volunteers (something I'm going to guess you've never done.) Don't know how long you've been riding, but being responsible is part of what makes mountainbiking the great pasttime that it is. I was around in the late 90's when HAMBRA then GHORBA were formed and had to actively fight to keep mountainbiking open in MP. I'm guessing you're not an IMBA member either, but in most parts of the US, mountainbikers are disdained by most folk who don't know what it's all about. Being a responsible trail user, like not riding where you're not allowed, is how you prove yourself as a viable user of our shared resources. Pretty scary to me that folks think they can just do as they please.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast