mtbr member
    Sep 2012

Another South Llano post

This place is great...seriously. For most folks coming from San Antonio or Austin it's about a 2 hour drive. I am blessed in that I live up towards Kerrville, so it's barely an hour for me. Either way, it's still worth the drive.
    I Spent the first hour on the doubletrack in the front that borders the river. Nothing to technical or steep at all...pretty benign actually, but man it's fun to haul ass on this section. The back country is tougher, with a few fairly steep climbs and descents. I didn't find the ride "technical", and I am a total newbie....but a few of the climbs were pretty stout. Scenery is gorgeous....place is freakin' HUGE, and even better....NOBODY was there. I saw not one other soul on the trail, and only 2 RV's parked in the hookup area. I asked the clerk at the desk if this was because of the Christmas Holiday. She replied "No, it's usually fairly dead around here, because Junction is not on the way to or from anywhere" For $4.00 admission and over 20 miles of trails with virtually zero traffic....this place is a real gem.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Another South Llano post-llanopark0001.jpg  

Another South Llano post-llanopark0002.jpg  

Another South Llano post-llanopark0008.jpg  

Another South Llano post-llanopark0011.jpg  

Another South Llano post-llanopark0013.jpg  

Funky Town's Finest Mojo
    Mar 2004
    Did you do any fly fishing while you we there? I floated the river with my 3 weight last spring and had a blast. Cool pics that make me wan to head back for a fishing and riding weekend.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Ha! No....I did not. About 10 years ago I fished the Llano about 12 miles north of there in a little town called Telegraph...it was a COMPLETE bust. Since then I just can't get excited about the Llano. Most of my flyfishing is in saltwater, down in the lower end of the Upper Laguna Madre. I actually worked in the fishing rod business for 12 years, designing flyrod tapers for various companies, and a bunch of other stuff for the fishing rod industry. Since I sold my business in late '08 I haven't fished much at all.....industry burnout I guess. The water sure was pretty there though.

Andy

Funky Town's Finest Mojo
    Mar 2004
    There is some great light weight tackle fishing in that river. A Guadalupe bass on a small 3 wt in a clear Hill Country stream is a heck of a good time. I tend to stay in small streams I can wade. Northern New Mexico is the best of both worlds for me. Llano St Park is a really nice park that is vastly overlooked.