Quiet Professional

Is a 6" bike too much?

I am wondering if a 6" bike is too much for Texas hill country. I got a great deal on a new old stock reign for 1500 and really looking forward to it. I like in the Killeen area but travel to Austin once in a while.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by chef7734 View Post
    I am wondering if a 6" bike is too much for Texas hill country. I got a great deal on a new old stock reign for 1500 and really looking forward to it. I like in the Killeen area but travel to Austin once in a while.
    There are 1 or 2 big hucks on the BCGB and a few out at Emma that 6" might be fun for for, but overall it's' probably overkill and unnecessarily heavy. Depends on what you're after I guess.
    =====
    bacon (is my dog)
    http://www.sbtec.com

mtbr member
    May 2004
    **** that!
    1. You already bought it, ride it like you stole it because that was a good deal.
    2. My buddy went from riding a Trance to a Reign and was notably faster.
    3. Sure, there are a few big drops worthy of 6" but what kind of efficiency and weight are you really giving up going to 5" 2lb and 30 seconds on a big climb?

Everyone that I ride with rides a 5.5"+ bike because we like riding the techy stuff and riding it fast. Sure, I may not use ALL my travel every ride, but I like hitting features and not shying away from having a little fun.

Now, if you are ridng Walnut/PaceBend exclusively, sure, you'd be faster on a different rig. Until you get stronger -then you are just as fast as you want to be. But BCGB and Emma? Have fun!

Disclaimer: I recently changed from a 180mm 40lb freeride build for local riding to a lighter 160mm build and am now faster...but I also got stronger for having pedaled around that rig with a single 35t up front and no granny option.

undercover brother
    Quote Originally Posted by chef7734 View Post
    Probably, but who cares. My next bike will be a 6" AMFS. I live in OH.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    there can never be too much travel

2006 Yeti AS-X
    From 2009 - 2011,I rode a 7" Yeti AS-X around the Kansas City area and had alot of fun. Just sucks when going uphill which around my parts isn't too long of a climb - but that bike flew over obstacles like baby butter.

In 2011, I bought a lighter XC oriented Trek Fuel EX5 which is about 13 lbs lighter but still have my AS-X. It is always good to have at leat 2 mountain bikes for when one is in the shop and when you want to run more technical trails.
    I don't use Strava. Don't need an application to tell me I am slow because I already know.

mtbr member
    like characterzero hit the line less traveled! the same thing happened to me. I ran into an amazing deal on a spesh enduro that i couldn't pass on. I get to travel at times so i do see it as a quiver-killer. ridden walnut and bcgb on it and i just adjust the sus settings. that's what they're there for! hit downtown and do some stairs, gaps, and ledges!

your mindset has to change and know you have more travel. If you guage riding with it next to your buddy's xc 29er whippet on a non tech all climb ride you will not be happy. the xc mindset is hit the smooth line fast. on your horse, yours will be hit the fast line smooth. enjoy.
    i'm on my Last Herb
    RestInPeace Hook

mtbr member
    I ride a kona cadabra yes its overkill. Yes i have just as much fun, yes i can do way more with it. Im loading her up in april to go to angel fire.

BCGB and emma are all i really ride. It eats it up. Got a buddy on a kona process and one on a yeti sb66. We never complain of to much travel lmao.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by CharacterZero View Post
    **** that!
    1. You already bought it, ride it like you stole it because that was a good deal.
    Misread the first time. Since you already bought it - ride the fux out of it man!
    =====
    bacon (is my dog)
    http://www.sbtec.com

Quiet Professional
    Yep just delivered from fedex. Brant new old stock 2011 giant reign. Now it needs to be put together.0

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using Xparent Blue Tapatalk 2
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Is a 6" bike too much?-uploadfromtaptalk1358279703154.jpg  

mtbr member
    May 2004
    So...how is it? Killer riding weather, hope you got some miles/smiles.

Quiet Professional

Re: Is a 6" bike too much?

Works great. Love the reign.

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using Xparent Blue Tapatalk 2

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    if you want some real hill country i recommend edwards aquifer area around 1604 in san antonio. hills that will kill you.