Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Nov 2012

24hrs of Rocky Hill Ranch....firstimer, what do I need to know/bring?

I will be doing my first 24hr race with a friend as a two man team. Other than the obvious food/drinks bike/clothing and lights what else do I need or would I wish I had brought to make this a little more enjoyable? The laps look like they should take about an hour...is there anything btw laps I need to be doing or not doing? As far as tires go I have a choice of 2.25 Rocket Ron front with small block 8 rear or kenda nevregal front and either of the previous tires rear....any suggestions for that trail? Knee pads and elbow pads at night for safety? Sorry for all the questions.

mtbr member
    Two man team on your 1st 24hr race is pretty hardcore! I know it's late in the game, but I'd suggest a 4 man team for your 1st outing. I run heavy tires at RHR because of the rocks, I still split a Saguaro w/ TnT carcass on a pre-ride last year. I've never bothered with pads on the night laps (knock on wood!), then again i haven't attempted 10+ laps at RHR in 24 hours!

My suggestion is to not treat it like a race. Have fun, eat and drink before you need to, start SLOW, don't feel like you have to have a man of course at all times, rest when you need to. The worst feeling for me at my 1st 24 was going too strong too soon and not finishing.

Recovery drink/bar after every lap, salt tabs/sport legs before you cramp (and you will cramp).

Awesome story from last years winner:

SATORI: 2012 24hrs of RHR

See you there!

jeff

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Sounds like good advice. My partner and I have a few bikepacking rides of similar time and distance as to what we will be racing with no real breaks for rest with heavier bikes and gear, but we will see how that shakes out on race day. If we don't do well or finish I think we will at least drink some beer and have a good time. If you see us come say hello. I will be on a black and red Tallboy and he will be on a black and blue Fatbike

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    First timer here as well. 2 man team. I went down there and rode the course 2 months ago. Nevegal might be good, I'm going to run an Ardent. Lots of loose rock. It'll be fun, I'm sure. I told my partner we are losing the term race from or vocabulary. LOL I looked at results from last yr, winners did 22 laps. We are going to shoot for 16. We'll be the fat guys. Ledgehead Racing.

mtbr member
    Yea, those two are STUDS! Both well over 50, put in very consistent laps, and had little in the way of technical issues. Side note: the guy who put in the fastest lap was piss drunk the night before! Ha!

BTW, we're team Huffynauts! See you guys there!

Jeff

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    After registering yesterday I saw some team had named themselves "I **** my pants" ...can't wait to meet those guys. Sound fun. We are team Twin-Cam

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by exploder View Post
    some team had named themselves "I **** my pants" ...can't wait to meet those guys.
    Might want to avoid following to closely behind those.

mtbr member
    uhmm, I'm not over 50, and I did get a flat, had to change to my spare bike, and then was able to switch back. I also stopped for 10 mins for some chatting. I'll be back this year I hope to see you out there.

SATORI
    Go to my older posts,and you'll see my write up there.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    santabooze is referring to this post about last year's race:

SATORI: 2012 24hrs of RHR

I'm turning 50 four days after this year's race, other than Ray Porter (also out there on an SS) I'm not sure who else was turning fast laps as 'old guys'.

Here's my long and possibly boring writeup from that race:

Now that was a road trip | A Piece of Our Universe

mtbr member
    Sorry guys, I was referring to the two man team who won their class last year. Absolute studs, like yourselves! I may be mistaken, but I remember the fast lap being set by one of the Austin locals. Again, it wasn't me and it won't be me this year either....

We're making a few laps at RHR early Sunday if anyone wants to join us!

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    No need to apologize, and you are right that 2 man team was moving fast and had an excellent result.

I don't think you are mistaken regarding the fastest Solo lap, there was an Austin Solo racer who had a faster lap that I did. But as it turns out I got the award because I had the fastest Solo lap meeting the ruling of you had to be in the top 3 Solo finishers to get the award. I was surprised to get the award because I didn't really know about it until I was called up again.

There's some really fast Texas racers, and that's what makes this race a legitimate race... and a good time.

mtbr member
    Just put in 20 at RHR this morning, and it is as awesome at ever! It was 55 degrees when we hit the trail and never got over 70. Best news is the new hot showers! Hopefully the line will go a little quicker now.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    I'm getting pumped about this race. Did a mountain bike/road bike duathlon this weekend and did pretty decent. I'm doing the Tyler State Park race this weekend, then on to Rocky Hill the next. Also just found out my wife is pregnant so things are going great. First kid so I am excited.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Congratulations on the good news!

mtbr member
    Wow! Good for you guys!!! Motivation!

mtbr member
    Austin and Houston got lots of rain yesterday... I don't know how much RHR got, but I'd imagine it was a decent amount.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    I just checked the weather and it looks like it is going to be a muddy race. I just built two homemade mud guards for the bike in preparation. May build and extra set to give away in case someone else would like a set.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    You should note that RHR has a lot of red clay on it. The sand areas drain well but that clay - it's a mess. Bring a few cans of Pam for your tires...
    =====
    bacon (is my dog)
    http://www.sbtec.com

mtbr member
    just ordered a front fender...

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Made mine from an old coolant jug... one for front and one for rear. I will test fit them tonight and see how they fit and modify if necessary. I was bored at work, you know how it goes.
    phillipstanley7223@gmail.com, on Flickr">photo 3(1)

phillipstanley7223@gmail.com, on Flickr">photo 4(1)

mtbr member
    Obviously! Your desk is spotless! Let me know how it works, I have plenty of coolant jugs!

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    I talked with the lady who runs Terra Firma, and she said that they will alter the course if it rains. There will be more Jeep road and I believe she said they would skip Fat Chuck and the hilly section on the back side. I seem to remember Black Track maybe being out too. Not for sure, I've only ridden there once. 40% right now on Fri and 20% on Sat. Get the pledge out boys and girls LOL

mtbr member
    Nov 2012

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    However sees me come say hello at the race

phillipstanley7223@gmail.com, on Flickr">49102000-18017_Tyler_XC_1587
    phillipstanley7223@gmail.com, on Flickr">49101999-18017_Tyler_XC_1421

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Blacktrac is usually out of it rains, as is the first part of Fat Chuck's - those areas get really messy and will add a nice lb or two of rotational weight to your tires in the form of red clay. I would guess they'll be out based on the forecast (rain MTWF).

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast