mtbr member
    Apr 2006

2013 Pivot Cycles Demo Coming to Texas (Dallas & Waco - Nov 17-18)

It looks like the guys from Arizona will be hitting up Dallas and Waco with their 2013 demo fleet on November 17-18. On Saturday, November 17 (8am-3pm) the demo will be at Big Cedar Wilderness Trail in Dallas, TX. Then on Sunday, November 18 (8am -3pm) the demo will be at Cameron Park in Waco, TX. I am going and I cant wait to throw my leg over a 2013 Mach 429 Carbon, 5.7 Carbon, and Les. Just thought I would spread the good news. They seem to only come around to Texas once in a blue moon.

Check their website for updates as the date gets closer
    Demo | Pivot Cycles - Mountain Bikes for XC, Trail, Downhill

When - Saturday Nov 17 8am-3pm
    Where - Big Cedar Wilderness Trail (Mountain Creek Community Church Access)
    5950 Eagle Ford Dr.
    Dallas TX 75249

When - Sunday Nov 18th from 8am-3pm
    Where - Cameron Park, Waco TX
    Miss Nellie's Pretty Place Parking lot see here

Later

No talent hack
    Nov 2010
    Nice. I wonder if they would mind a superclyde throwing a leg over a Al 429? Gonna have to go out to BCNP for this, me thinks.
    Fat guys need bikes too.

PMarsh Thumbs Up!
    I get home just in time to miss the demo in Dallas, so I think I'll be driving down to Waco. I know Cameron Park pretty well so that's probably better anyway.
    2011 Giant Glory 01
    2013 Pivot Firebird
    2004 Turner Rail - Stoled

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Knight511 View Post
    Nice. I wonder if they would mind a superclyde throwing a leg over a Al 429? Gonna have to go out to BCNP for this, me thinks.
    They had no problem with my 300lb rear end on there XL Al 429 here in Houston last weekend. Sadly, no XL carbon on hand to try, but I walked away from my short ride around the street convinced this is likely my next bike.

No talent hack
    Nov 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by The Butcher View Post
    They had no problem with my 300lb rear end on there XL Al 429 here in Houston last weekend. Sadly, no XL carbon on hand to try, but I walked away from my short ride around the street convinced this is likely my next bike.
    Damn you!!!

I have read that the 429 is a good option for "folks like us," but riding is believing. I am renting another bike for a test ride on Friday, so it will be a good comparison between two pretty different FS bikes with a superclyde.
    Fat guys need bikes too.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Knight511 View Post
    Damn you!!!

I have read that the 429 is a good option for "folks like us," but riding is believing. I am renting another bike for a test ride on Friday, so it will be a good comparison between two pretty different FS bikes with a superclyde.
    I was pretty stoked that they came to town and had something I could actually demo. It's pretty rare that I can actually ride something that fits before I buy! I'm sure you can relate.

I loved the Al version, but I really only got about 10 minutes saddle time. I didn't notice it being wallowy at all, but there was one instance I was cranking on it and the rear got a little wonky. I couldn't get it to reproduce though, so it might have just been a funny patch in the road that made me think it got out of line.

My dilemma at this point is do I go with a 429 or have Ventana custom build me an El Rey frame for about the same price. My leanings are actually toward a carbon 429 after having ridden the aluminum one. I've got a long inseam, but the carbon offers another inch of standover and I figure the extra stiffness can't hurt for when I crank on it hard. Plus, the whole BB/lower link area on the carbon looks really beefy (the had a L that my wife rode so I got to at least see the carbon one in person). The 429 carbon isn't tons lighter, but I think that must be because they really make it beefy.