Thread: 2 day trails

mtbr member

2 day trails

Are there any good 2 day long trails in Texas? I would like to camp out on a trail somewhere in Texas. I don't think there is anything like that in my part of Texas Austin/San Antonio. Or anywhere near Texas; New Mexico, Arizona?
    Mountain Biking is not a hobby. It's a lifestyle.

XC racer
    May 2005
    The only place in Texas you "might" find a two day excursion like that would be in the Big Bend State Park region. You might contact Mike at Desert Sports in Terlingua to see if there's anything feasible. Otherwise I'd say head to Colorado. I have friends who just returned from Durango where they went out for 3 days of semi-supported back country camping/biking. There's also an awesome thread in the Passion subforum from a guy who just did the entire 500 miles of the CO trail Denver to Durango.

mtbr member
    Thanks!!! I will contact him as soon as I can and post the answer.

mtbr member
    I think Flat Rock Ranch has some cabins you can book out and stay there. Its not exactly "roughing it in the woods", but its a thought.
    What did you put in that sandwich?

mtbr member
    You can camp out at Reveille. It's not a IMBA epic, but you could probably entertain yourself for two days.

XC racer
    May 2005
    Lots of trails in Texas offer up onsite camping. I think the OP is looking for something a bit more adventurous, i.e. two days of riding a long trail where you camp along the way. That's going to be a tough one here.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mtbscott View Post
    Lots of trails in Texas offer up onsite camping. I think the OP is looking for something a bit more adventurous, i.e. two days of riding a long trail where you camp along the way. That's going to be a tough one here.
    Exactly. I don't think there is anything like what I'm looking for here. I think Colorado might offer the trails I'm looking for. I was hoping there would be something like that here since I am more familiar with our Texas wilderness. It just means a lot more research has to go into the trip.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    It depends in part on when you want to go. Also, post this query in the Bikepacking section and you might get a better response with more specifics. Or just search ďbikepacking STATEĒ and see what you come up with.

Yes, you can do multi-day trips in Big Bend and elsewhere in west Texas (Lajitas, for example), but its brutally hot there now and very inhospitable. Itís a great fall or even winter ride, though. Even for paddling the Rio Grande down there, the best times are November through March.

I live in New Mexico and there are many options here. Chain of Craters Scenic Byway is one, There are other places in the Zuni Mountains (north west of the Chain of Craters), Jemez Mountains, around the San Pedro Parks Wilderness Area (you canít bike in the wilderness area, but the natíl forest that surrounds it has many options), and Iím sure there are many options up near Taos, Angel Fire, Red River, etc. though I havenít biked up there. And near the Santa Fe ski area as well. I have backpacked in there before. One trick is to make sure you have decent maps so you know for sure you are camping on public land. Some of the property lines can be squirrelly.

Here is a link to an overnighter bikepacking trip I did in the Zuni Mountains just to give you an idea of what that area is like.

meh
    look into arkansas as well, Ouachita National Recreation Trail and some others allow mtn biking in areas

mtbr member
    Having never done this, but wanting to do Colorado one day, how does one get back to where they started on a two-day ride?

Is it a loop? Do you ride a day then turn back a day?

Just wondering how to get back to the car. Most everything I have ever seen is a loop.

Thanks!
    Roots, Rocks, Ruts and Padded Butts

XC racer
    May 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by CajunJamie View Post
    Having never done this, but wanting to do Colorado one day, how does one get back to where they started on a two-day ride?

Is it a loop? Do you ride a day then turn back a day?

Just wondering how to get back to the car. Most everything I have ever seen is a loop.

Thanks!
    There are lots of options in CO. Some people simply leave their car somewhere and do out and back routes with overnight stays, there's enough trail and public lands out there to do it. There are also various shuttle services in all of the main "mtb tourist" areas that will drop you off places and pick you up later.
    Some friends of mine did a trip just a few weeks ago where they went out riding in the high country for three days. A service drove ahead of them (lots of jeep roads in the CO mountains) and dropped off their camping supplies along with food at their nightly destination. The next day they would pick it up and carry it on to their next stop, freeing the riders from having to schlep along extra gear.
    If you look up the current thread "Durango or Bust" in the Passion sub-forum, it tells the story of two guys who did the 500 mile length of the CO trail self-supported with planned detours along the way to replenish their food and water supplies.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by clewttu View Post
    look into arkansas as well, Ouachita National Recreation Trail and some others allow mtn biking in areas
    Bazinga!

http://www.ouachitachallenge.com/Cou...OCCracemap.pdf

Arkansas Cycling & Fitness :: Ride Detail - Ouachita Challenge 2012

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Check out Caprock Caynons Trailway. It's about 76 miles in length and has some amazing scenic views.
    Fuji Thrill hardtail SS

mtbr member
    These are all great suggestions! Thanks everyone. I have now created a list of parks I will visit later this year. I want to wait for cooler temperatures.