Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

160mm too much for Hill Coutry?

2K views 22 replies 9 participants last post by  fontarin 
#1 ·
Specifically the specialized enduro 29er. There's a ton of them for sale used and I'm going to be in CO this summer. Just not sure if I would use it here in SA.

#3 ·
The evo model is often over 30 pounds and over kill for typical trails but there are ther lighter builds of the enduro too. The 2015 enduro looks even better. But the stumpjumper could sport a 160 if desired and they can be fairly light.
I have a camber with a 150/120 dual mode fork.
On my next frame I plan to get a 160/130 dual mode fork for sure.

#8 ·
It all depends on who you ask, and what type of trail you like to ride. I see dudes on single speed fully ridged rigs around my area ( couple of hours north ). I've also seen 7 inch freeride bikes on the trail. Ride what makes you want to ride. I don't want to ride my freeride bike at a place like Cedar Hill State Park. But it would be much more at home just a couple of miles up the road at Big Cedar Wilderness on the downhill section. I have been riding 5 inch + travel bikes for a good number of years. Now in 29er form.

#9 ·
I spoke to another Enduro owner here in SATX, today.
He never rides it here, he only uses it on trips to Colorado.
He agrees it would be awkward on most trails here in SATX.
Two exceptions of OP Dirt Jumps and Free Ride 510 or is it 512. I can't remember.
Those places have big man made drops, and some guys use 200mm on them.
But their bikes weigh 35-45 pounds and they don't ride them back to the top often.

#10 ·
I like 140mm with a 69.5 head tube angle, but also ride a 120mm hardtail on the same trails.

I think a downhill bike is overkill because the downs are so short (usually shorter than 1/4 mile).

28 pounds is totally doable with a full suspension 29er and my hardtail 29er is 22lbs.

#15 ·
I road the Enduro Comp 29 today and, although it was heavy it didn't bob at all while pedaling. I also got to ride the 2015 stumpjumper 27.5 carbon (evo I think) and that thing was sick. Pretty dang light. Both of these where extended parking lot tests with just a bit of off-road but plent of urban assault.

#23 ·
I'm kind of in the same boat. Trying to decide if I want to get a RIP9 or a Mach 6. I've tested the Mach 6 at CP and BCGB, and though it's a bit overkill everywhere else, it's fun. I already have a nice XC bike, so this will be my travel bike (Moab, CO, etc) or my 'ride around here when I don't care if I'm slow' bike.

Edit: Only reason I'm really considering is my nice HT was stolen, and have replacement cost but unsure if I want to replace with another HT or get a fun bike.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.