mtbr member
    Apr 2010

Would YOU ride a tandem here (Gooseberry Mesa, Utah)?

Let me start off by saying that I've never ridden a tandem so I'm clueless. I have recently started riding with some high school friends and they ride a Ventana tandem. They ride The Luge in OC which I wouldn't have thought was a good idea so I'm obviously ingorant of the tandem's capabilites.

So now they are going to be joining me on a trip to Gooseberry Mesa this Fall. It doesn't seem to me that riding a tandem would be a good idea here since there are so many sudden turns, short burst climbs and step-ups but I've been wrong before when I under-estimated their talents and/or capabilities. They also each have "standard" mountain bikes so they have other options.

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator

Quote Originally Posted by k2rider1964 View Post
    Let me start off by saying that I've never ridden a tandem so I'm clueless. I have recently started riding with some high school friends and they ride a Ventana tandem. They ride The Luge in OC which I wouldn't have thought was a good idea so I'm obviously ingorant of the tandem's capabilites.

So now they are going to be joining me on a trip to Gooseberry Mesa this Fall. It doesn't seem to me that riding a tandem would be a good idea here since there are so many sudden turns, short burst climbs and step-ups but I've been wrong before when I under-estimated their talents and/or capabilities. They also each have "standard" mountain bikes so they have other options.
    Gooseberry? Mostly no, for the reasons you mention. But there are some routes on Gooseberry I would ride a tandem on. Little Creek Mesa would be OK as would JEM, Hurricane Rim, Goulds Rim.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Thanks Shiggy....always respected your tire advice and I also know that you've spent more than your fair share of time in SW Utah. I figured I'd take them down JEM for sure but hadn't thought about LCM.

Thanks Shiggy....always respected your tire advice and I also know that you've spent more than your fair share of time in SW Utah. I figured I'd take them down JEM for sure but hadn't thought about LCM.
    I think they should also bring their single bikes.

I want to see video of the tandem on Gb!
    mtbtires.com

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    We'll see about that video Aren't you up in the Pacific NW nowadays? They will for sure be riding the tandem on a tour we're doing with Cog Wild on the Umpqua River Trail in August.

We'll see about that video Aren't you up in the Pacific NW nowadays? They will for sure be riding the tandem on a tour we're doing with Cog Wild on the Umpqua River Trail in August.
    PNW born and raised.

There are spots on NUT I would not want to be on a tandem.
    mtbtires.com

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    I'll 2nd the request for some video if they ride challenging terrain.
    I'm new to tandems (started last year), and was surprised just how sketchy a tandem can be on trail features I don't even think about on a single.
    Warning: may contain sarcasm and/or crap made up in an attempt to feel important.

Quote Originally Posted by trailville View Post
    I'm new to tandems (started last year), and was surprised just how sketchy a tandem can be on trail features I don't even think about on a single.
    I have ridden many tandems off road as pilot and stoker. I have been surprised by how stable they can be on terrain that is sketchy on a single. I have also had many slow motion biffs when we ground a pedal or get high centered.
    mtbtires.com

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    What the long wheelbase giveth, the long wheelbase taketh away.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    We'll see what we can do. I know they own a GoPro. I'm surprised at what I've seen them ride. Since I've never ridden a tandem, I just assume they (tandems) can't do certain things but then they (the riders) prove me wrong. The way they communicate as they ride is also foreign to me but obviously very important. I can only think of one area on JEM that could give them a problem and that's the switchbacks up top if we start from the TH off Hwy 59. As far as Little Creek Mesa, I think the biggest issue will be the climb out on the rock section. I know I can't imagine them cleaning that area.....

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    I don't know how it truthfully matters whether on a tandem or not. If you like tandem'ing, you go ride the best trails you're up for. You dismount what you can't clean. How is that so different from single riders of varying skills wanting to ride the best trails and locations but unable to clean 100%?

Obviously, tight maneuvering and drops are more challenging, and wheel lofts are not happening, but skilled tandem teams are cleaning all kinds of tech trails. Laguna Ridge, Stairsteps, Joplin, Car Wreck, Rattlesnake–all get ridden on tandems by people on this board. Hey, Patrick and Maria

Quote Originally Posted by She&I View Post
    I don't know how it truthfully matters whether on a tandem or not. If you like tandem'ing, you go ride the best trails you're up for. You dismount what you can't clean. How is that so different from single riders of varying skills wanting to ride the best trails and locations but unable to clean 100%?

Obviously, tight maneuvering and drops are more challenging, and wheel lofts are not happening, but skilled tandem teams are cleaning all kinds of tech trails. Laguna Ridge, Stairsteps, Joplin, Car Wreck, Rattlesnake–all get ridden on tandems by people on this board. Hey, Patrick and Maria
    Exactly, just like you do on a single. I have seen single riders struggle on those spots on JEM, LCM...
    mtbtires.com

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by She&I View Post
    I think the OP was asking more of a "would you recommend this?" not necessarily "is it possible?". For the most part you can ride any bike on any trail. But if you're traveling somewhere to ride a trail you may only ride once, you probably want to take the bike that's going to get you the most fun for that trail, or if in a group ride, something that isn't going to hold back the group.

My local trails are tight and a little techy, and in addition to my mountain bikes, I've ridden parts of them on a BMX, a DJ bike, a 700c touring bike, a 30 year old King Sting, and a tandem. But if someone asked for a recommendation for those trails, it would not be any of those.
    Warning: may contain sarcasm and/or crap made up in an attempt to feel important.

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    I think the OP was asking more of a "would you recommend this?" not necessarily "is it possible?". For the most part you can ride any bike on any trail. But if you're traveling somewhere to ride a trail you may only ride once, you probably want to take the bike that's going to get you the most fun for that trail, or if in a group ride, something that isn't going to hold back the group.

My local trails are tight and a little techy, and in addition to my mountain bikes, I've ridden parts of them on a BMX, a DJ bike, a 700c touring bike, a 30 year old King Sting, and a tandem. But if someone asked for a recommendation for those trails, it would not be any of those.
    Point taken, tv.

To me it comes down to how much you want to ride with someone. I wait for my wife constantly on single bikes, and I don't mind b/c I dig riding with her. If you're on a time budget and/or are one of those people who have to push the entire time without stopping, sure, you might be bummed by that extra sixty seconds of wait time. Depending on the tandem team.

Cheers,

Mike

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    My wife and I have taken our tandem on trails that I would never recommend to anyone on a tandem. Usually it is on a trail that we know, and that are fine for singles. It is usually her idea, or at least she approves. Never underestimate how scary it can be to a stoker when you relinquish control to someone else on a technical trail. Some days she is feeling adventurous, and other times she is very cautious. She trusts me but I will always let her choose NOT to ride something.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004

We ride our ECDM tandem on the luge...pretty easy really. We've had it down Telonics and other technical local trails, Trabuco, all the trails in Aliso Woods. That said, G-Berry would be no fun..far too tight, punchy, and ledgy. The tandem is no beuno when you have to lift the front wheel over stuff. 6-8 inches is about the limit of just slamming into steps and there's plenty that are taller at G Berry. JEM would be fine. Indian Creek so-so.