Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Aug 2007

What's your brake setup?

I'm curious as to what everyone is running for their brakes.

I recently purchased the Brodie Jojo from the classifieds here and it has BB5's w/203 f/r and a v-brake on the rear. The front and v-brake are controlled by the captain and then the rear disc is controlled with a stoker brake. Should I scrap the v-brake and run both discs to the front? I would think that'd be enough power. I don't trust the stoker to do anything. The v-brake doesn't look like it can be easily routed as the stoker brake.

What's working for everyone else?

MTB Tandem Nut
    I would run 203mm BB7's on front and rear and toss the V brake. As for stoker having a brake, I've seen it a couple of times, but it seems like an accident waiting to happen to me. Too much (or little) brake in the wrong place can make for a bad outcome.
    MTB Tandems Inc.
    678-445-0711
    www.MTBTandems.com

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Hope Mono 6Ti with 203mm rotors front and rear. No issues, work very well with a 360lb team in SoCal hills.

Concur with Alex regarding your setup. You're not going to see any real benefit from the v-brake if you already have good cable brakes and 203mm rotors.

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    Magura Louise 203mm rotors. They are really great brakes for the $. We upgraded from the BB7's b/c they were too much effort on my hands down the mountains. BB7's had the same amount of braking power as the magura's, but the hydraulics are so much better IMO.

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    We have Hope Ti's w203s front and rear , could stop a truck with very little effort. 340#team with good hills here in Alaska. Love our EDCM. Have a bb7 w/203 on rear of Calfee road tandem and it also has good stopping power after an upgrade to compression less housing (jag wire ripcord). I think two bb7 would be fine on a mtn tandem

PMK
    mtbr member
    Avid BB7's on our Co-Motion, 203 front and rear, BB7's on our ECDM, BB7's on our Fandango, all with 203 mm discs.

The ECDM came with Maguras, but I was unable to keep them on account of not being able to purchase the required adapter for our Fox 40 fork.

Stopping power compared to Maguras, they seem similar.

The brake disc type does make a difference with the Avid. The smooth disc with holes gives better pad life, the slotted disc stops better.

As CLJ mentioned, some folks mention the required hand effort. It does not bother me and we have enough brake to most times lock the front wheel if needed. Locking the rear is easy. Not saying there is no control, actually a lot of feel , but powerful.

PK
    Last edited by PMK; 06-23-2011 at 06:07 PM.

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    Disregard what PMK says about brakes. He wouldn't know. He doesn't use them.
    Quote Originally Posted by PMK View Post

As CLJ mentioned, some folks mention the required hand effort. It does not bother me and we have enough brake to most times lock the front wheel if needed. Locking the rear is easy. Not saying there is no control, actually a lot of feel , but powerful.

PK

PMK
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by clj2289 View Post
    Disregard what PMK says about brakes. He wouldn't know. He doesn't use them.
    That was mean and not nice...I might cry now

PK

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    We have Shimano Saints on our ECDM and love them, plenty of stopping power for our 340 lb. team

mtbr member
    Front: Avid BB7 Mech, 203mm Hayes rotor
    Rear: Avid BB7 Mech or Hayes HMX-1 Mech, 203mm Avid rotor.
    Last edited by itsdoable; 06-25-2011 at 07:52 PM.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    We had Avid BB5 with 203mm rotors on our last bike, and now have Magura Louise with 203mm rotors front and rear on our ECDM.

I couldn't honestly say the Maguras are any better in performance (have always been able to lock either wheel on both bikes), and I seem to have more trouble getting the wheels back in place with them. I think the brake lever must get knocked in transit so the pads come in a bit.

mtbr member
    We're running our tandem with a "mullet" set-up. Avid BB7 in the front and a XTR V-Brake in the rear, since our tandem doesn't have disc tabs in the back.

Doesn't really seem to matter though, much like your car, the front brake is doing the majority of the work anyhow. I've never understood the whole 2 brake on the rear of a tandem. I suppose I can understand a drag/drum brake that can be actuated by the stoker for long road descents, but I also remember older off-road tandems that had a canti up top and a U-Brake under the chainstays actuated by one lever with a "splitter" on the lever.

PMK
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Team Fubar Rider View Post
    We're running our tandem with a "mullet" set-up. Avid BB7 in the front and a XTR V-Brake in the rear, since our tandem doesn't have disc tabs in the back.

Doesn't really seem to matter though, much like your car, the front brake is doing the majority of the work anyhow. I've never understood the whole 2 brake on the rear of a tandem. I suppose I can understand a drag/drum brake that can be actuated by the stoker for long road descents, but I also remember older off-road tandems that had a canti up top and a U-Brake under the chainstays actuated by one lever with a "splitter" on the lever.
    It's a rainy day setup???

Yes a bunch of road tandems do run drag brakes, seems now though that with a 203mm rear disc the drag brakes are going away.

PK

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by PMK View Post
    It's a rainy day setup???

Yes a bunch of road tandems do run drag brakes, seems now though that with a 203mm rear disc the drag brakes are going away.

PK
    My supplier specced my frame with canti bosses as well as disc mounts, in case I wanted to add a rim brake as a drag. They are more tourer orientated, so I guess it makes sense if you are carrying much luggage.

On the demo bike we borrowed, they had set up a v-brake operated by a thumb shifter, which also meant it was easy to use as a parking brake if the bike was leant against a wall on a slope. Actually far more useful than I would have thought!

MTB Tandem Nut
    Running a rim brake as a drag brake seems lika a recipe for disaster.
    If discs are properly sized and spec'd, I don't think a drag brake is necessary.

(that oughta bring out the old skool guys in droves///)
    MTB Tandems Inc.
    678-445-0711
    www.MTBTandems.com

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    I just think it's goofy to have braze ones to run the disc as a stoker brake and the v-brake as the rear brake. I'll route down the top tube and down the seat stay with a zip tie to get decent routing. The v-brake is one I have never seen before. It has no noodle. The cable comes straight in and there is a rod between the two arms. As the cable is pulled it kinks at two pivots and pulls the other side. I don't seen any brand markings on it to figure out anything about it.

mtbr member
    So, not to hijack this thread, but my son and I did the Tinton Trail Time Trial (TTTT) Super D race today on the tandem. Only tandem at the race, which has some tight singletrack switchbacks. Ran the 7 mile course in 28:11. Fastest expert man was 20:30, so not terrible for a long bike on a tight course with a 9 y.o. stoking!

To keep the thread on track, our brakes worked wonderfully for a misty, slightly muddy day.

PMK
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Schmucker View Post
    I just think it's goofy to have braze ones to run the disc as a stoker brake and the v-brake as the rear brake. I'll route down the top tube and down the seat stay with a zip tie to get decent routing. The v-brake is one I have never seen before. It has no noodle. The cable comes straight in and there is a rod between the two arms. As the cable is pulled it kinks at two pivots and pulls the other side. I don't seen any brand markings on it to figure out anything about it.
    I assume that was the Brodie listed here. It is a treasure chest of vintage parts. I think those were Crosstop brakes.

That is a true vintage bike, on caliber possibly with an Ibis or one of the other less common 90's tandems.

Suffice to say you got a 57 Chevy or Hemi Cuda. Not modern but very cool and desirable in the right circles.

I wanted it as a cruiser tandem but was halted by my stoker.

PK

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by TandemNut View Post
    Running a rim brake as a drag brake seems lika a recipe for disaster.
    If discs are properly sized and spec'd, I don't think a drag brake is necessary.

(that oughta bring out the old skool guys in droves///)
    We've been tandeming for 13 years, but I don't know if that counts as "old skool".

You couldn't pay me to run a rim brake as a drag brake. Drag braking generates tremendous amounts of heat. If you like blowing your tubes at high speed, then it's a great idea. I wouldn't run a disc as a drag brake either for the same reason, unless it's something designed for the task like the Winzip w/10" rotor.

I run an arai drum brake on our road tandem run to a bar end shifter on the right hand drop. It is very handy in certain situations. Great as a parking brake (the one thing I really miss on our Fandango), and I do use it on long steep descents where I want to maintain a constant speed. The drag brake is nice becuase you can just set it lightly to keep speed in check without the hand fatigue of holding a lever for a long time. Drag braking isn't really as applicable for off road riding where you generally don't have 10 mile uniform downhill grades.

Now, you have to realize that when I'm using the drag brake, it's usually when I'm hauling the "train". The "train" is when I've got one child on the stoker position, a second on the trailer bike, and a third in the trailer behind that. We've hit some pretty steep/long downhills with that setup both on paved roads and gravel fire roads.

I'm sure we could get by with discs/203mm rotors, and I've thought of having a rear disc tab brazed on to our road tandem, but for now the v-brakes w/arai drum is fine.

No desire for a drag brake on our off-road tandem.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    We are running Magura Gustav M.
    210mm Disc at the front, 190mm Disc in the rear.
    Those are superb brakes. Out team weight incl. tandem is around 180kg.
    Rock solid brake power, even during 2000m descents in the alps.
    It's sad that Magura decided to discountinue the Gustav.

mtbr member
    On the Ibis Touché: Paul touring cantis rear and neo-retros front with Veloce levers
    On the Fat Chance: Campy Euclids on the rear wheel (2x) and Campy Centaur cantis in front. All operated by three Centaur MTB brake levers.

PMK
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Spikes View Post
    On the Ibis Touché: Paul touring cantis rear and neo-retros front with Veloce levers
    On the Fat Chance: Campy Euclids on the rear wheel (2x) and Campy Centaur cantis in front. All operated by three Centaur MTB brake levers.
    To derail this topic a second, with your resume" of tandems, I am surprised you did not buy that 90's Brodie with a load of vintage stuff that was listed here recently. I think it went very cheap as in inexpensive. You might find the buyer and trade him up to something more modern and easier to get parts for, that is assuming you are in to vintage tandems.

Nice FAT BTW.

PK

mtbr member

Magura Louise

Magura Louise (after 2007 model) with 203 rotors - BIG FAN!

I have run these on our ECDM 26" and on our Fandango 29er. Many, many miles on these brakes including several single day races with vertical/descent in excess of 12k ft.

The performance pads DO NOT last very long. I usually use the endurance pads, as they last longer. I will also add that the two piece rotor stands up to the heat and does not warp like the all steel rotors - worth the extra $$.

FunTimeRider!
    We're running the Avid BB7's with 203mm disks front and back. I'm curious to see how they hold up to the mud & rain here in Portland. I'd appreciate any suggestions that you all may have regarding setup and break-in as they are a new system to me.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012

my bike

hey guys im back to the bike scene after being out for about 8 years, I just purchased a bike and wanted to know some info on it. If someone could inbox me and i will tell you all the stuff on it. I dont know what is good and what is not but this thing looks awesome. All I know is it is a santacruze

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast