Long Live Long Rides
    May 2008

Western Colorado Tandem weekend

Howdy all,

Heather and I were so bummed that we couldn't make AORTA this year that we decided to try to host a tandem weekend we could get to. We are looking at the weekend of either April 8th or 15th. We can hit whatever trials folks are up to, but certainly the Fruita area trails would be good as well as possibly Western Rim. Heck we cold even road trip to Moab for a day - we'll plan it as we have an idea how many folks would be interested.

Looking forward to hearing input!

mtbr member
    Chris,
    Thanks for organizing! April 15th is the better weekend for us. Keep us posted on the details.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    How much time for acclimation if a team was coming from 700 feet above sea-level? An April weekend is tough as my stoker is a teacher. But, then, so is a May weekend, so...

Long Live Long Rides
    May 2008

Going Up

We are at about 4500-5000 ft. Depending on your riding fitness, you will notice it, but it won't be incapacitating. Mostly you will just breathe harder on the climbs and take a couple of extra breaks. Full adjustment actually takes several days as your body needs to dump more red blood cells into the system. The good news is that a post-ride beverage will have more of an effect as well (saves money...)

I teach as well, but since I'm part time, my schedule is easier. We are looking more at the April 15th weekend. We are also hoping to put together a Summer gathering in July/Aug. That one would be even higher elevation (8000-11000 ft) depending on where we end up.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    We will be in your area for 2 weeks beginning April 17. Originally we were heading to Moab but everything is booked for a week long Jeep Jamboree event.

Long Live Long Rides
    May 2008

Moab during Easter

Woof - Moab is a nightmare during Easter weekend. There are some trails that don't get that much use (since they aren't jeep-able), but the town is scary busy. We'd love to have you in GJ - honestly though, there aren't two weeks of trails right here, and April is too early for most of the higher elevation stuff. You could split and do 1/2 here and 1/2 Moab...

The dates for our very informal gathering aren't set yet, but we were leaning towards the 15-17th. That said, I would take any excuse to get out for a ride during that time of the year!