1 5.00%
  • Tubeless with 30+ psi

6 30.00%
  • Tubeless and les than 30 psi

4 20.00%
Multiple Choice Poll.
    K&K

Tubes vs Tubeless and tire pressure

So the recent post by Sisu has really highlighted just how wildly different we maintain tire pressures, which got me curious, thus this poll.

mtbr member
    Just to be clear, we are talking specifically on a mountain bike tandem, right?

I'll assume that is the criteria.

It is noteworthy as to the tire size and rim width coupled with team weight. But I'm probably getting in the weeds here...

K&K
    Yes on both counts. Yes, mountain tandem, and Yes, there are lots of other variables.

K&K
    Well, not much hapn'n here.

With the scant data available I will make the reckless assertion that those with tubeless wheels tend to run lower pressure than those with tubes.

BTW, the one response of tubes and lower than 30 was mine, by mistake. Couldn't figure out how to un-vote.

mtbr member
    I am impressed at the low pressures here. If I ran less than 50 I feel I would pinch flat. Is there a difference in tire builds that really help tandems?

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    moving to 2.5" 50mm 29er rim in the front we can lower down to 25psi without side knob squirm. With a 2.4" on a 35mm we used 30psi.
    2 wheels == True

K&K
    Quote Originally Posted by Funrover View Post
    I am impressed at the low pressures here. If I ran less than 50 I feel I would pinch flat. Is there a difference in tire builds that really help tandems?
    Hi Funrover,

We are a 350 pound team without gear, not exactly light-weight like those svelt Orlinskis I built up a tubeless wheelset (you can do it!) with Mavic EX823 rims designed for downhill riding EX 823 Disc | Mavic - United States paired with Continental 2.4 Trail King tires. We run in the low 20s and routinely ride through sharp, edgy, rocky terrain.
    Tubes vs Tubeless and tire pressure-little-walnut-mountain-loop-3.jpg

We really appreciate the added traction that the low pressure affords in the frequent loose-on-loose climbs on our desert trails.

Tubes vs Tubeless and tire pressure-20160417_163549.jpg

For unknown reasons, we recently did our "usual" loop with 30 psi and the difference was noticeable and resulted in a couple of unexpected HABs.

We simply do not get flats, we've logged 500 miles so far this year, 99% desert singletrack, without a single flat. I can't imagine anything other than tubeless and I thoroughly and enthusiastically recommend them to everyone I talk to.
    Last edited by ki5ka; 3 Days Ago at 05:59 PM.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ki5ka View Post

We simply do not get flats, we've logged 500 miles so far this year, 99% desert singletrack, without a single flat. I can't imagine anything other than tubeless and I thoroughly and enthusiastically recommend them to everyone I talk to.
    You're not supposed to say that you have been XX miles without a flat...

True, tubeless works, just don't talk about it!!!

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    That's probably as much of an endorsement of Continental Trail Kings as it is of tubeless with sealant. We've ripped the a couple of Maxxis Ardent's in the past year.
    2 wheels == True

K&K
    Quote Originally Posted by ds2199 View Post
    You're not supposed to say that you have been XX miles without a flat...

True, tubeless works, just don't talk about it!!!
    lol I better go check and make sure that tube is still in my pack!

K&K
    Quote Originally Posted by ebnelson View Post
    That's probably as much of an endorsement of Continental Trail Kings as it is of tubeless with sealant. We've ripped the a couple of Maxxis Ardent's in the past year.
    Like the rim, the Trail Kings are a heavy tire, but I do think they are a crucial part of the equation. It took some effort and several returns to get the model that is labeled as "UST" rather than "Tubeless Ready". I recall reading that the UST labeled model has more material in the sidewall.

Retailers seem unaware of the difference and often insist there is no such model and replace it with the "Tubeless Ready" even when I have made the point of insisting that I only want the UST. I will get a chance to compare because I had the same thing happen again the last time I bought tires. I called ahead to ask them to confirm that they had the UST model, they said they did, I asked again when I bought them but didn't look at the label myself. Silly me . So my next set will be the "Tubeless Ready" model and we shall see how they stack up.

mtbr member
    TK 2.4 Apex BC are bomb proof... But like said, dang! they're heavy.

That's why I went to it's little bro on my AM whip i.e. MK-II 2.4 Apex BC :woot:
    to err is human... to face plant is frickin hilarious!!

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    I used to really like the Mavic UST system back in the day. The UST tires have a bit more rubber to hold pressure, sans sealant, and a rubber extension on the bead for easy pump up. So nice to be able to just use a floor pump every time and no Stan's monsters to clean up after a few months.
    2 wheels == True