mtbr member

Trek T900 brake upgrade...

We bought the T900 last Fall. Overall, it's been a good hybrid bike for me and the family. However, the brakes are bloody dreadful. I'm looking for a brake upgrade that is somewhat affordable... but will pay more for better stopping power. Any recommendations are appreciated.
    Cheers!

PMK
    mtbr member
    Not to sound mean, but what is installed on it currently, and since I don't have a photo of the frame, is the frame and fork disc brake compatible?

PK
    Reps! We don't need no stickin' reps!

mtbr member
    My bad, I should have been more specific from the start...

Brakeset
    Tektro alloy linear-pull brakes w/Shimano EF51 levers.
    I don't think it is compatible with disc brakes.
    Here is the bike...

T 900 - Trek Bicycle

Thanks again for the feedback.

PMK
    mtbr member
    Without disc brake tabs, you will likely stick with a similar style brake. Tektro brakes I have been involved with were not known as serious stopping power.

Not knowing if you plan to accomplish the task yourself or bring it into the shop, but basically this should help.

For reasonable prices, Avid offers some decent brake systems from their model line of "Single Digit", probably I would consider looking into the SD7 series or better.

Avid also offers the "Speed Dial" series of levers to compliment the actual brake arms. The Speed Dial 7 would be a good choice.

Shimano has also offered some excellent stopping rim brakes. While I don't mind them when new or with low hours of use, the higher end Shimano brakes have multi linkage and can get sloppy with time.

Either setup should be a good improvement, and to take it further, more grippy brake pads can be installed.

The cable routes should be as short as practical with as few bends as possible. The design of your bike might have the rear brake cable route not optimized by the rear seat.

This gives you some options and choices. Possibly for the riding you are doing, you may even find that upgrading the brake pads and optimizing the cable length and routes will be adequate.

Best of luck with it.

PK
    Reps! We don't need no stickin' reps!

mtbr member
    Thanks PK... exactly the kind of feedback I was seeking. Cheers!

Long Live Long Rides
    May 2008
    +1 for the Avids. I think they are simpler and more powerful than Shimano.

J&L
    mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    We bought a used Trek several years ago, and the pads were old. New pads and proper adjustment made a world of difference. FWIW the stopping power on dirt trails always seemed sufficient to us, that is more stopping power than traction on the trail. Of course being rim brakes heating and wet stopping power are always a concern, but you can't change that.

We upgraded with better tires, smaller chainrings for hill climbing and a thudbuster seat post for the stoker, had lots of fun, then decided to spend more money and upgrade to a new bike after about 1 yr.

Have fun!