PMK
    mtbr member

Tips for a tag a long

I asked my friend and local bike shop owner if he knew of any used tag a longs that I could get reasonable and beat up pulling behind the Ventana. Low and behold, he had this one that was given to him by a local bicycle charity organization with instructions find it a good home.

Need to resolve the missing hitch, but don't expect much problems with that.

Machine is in good overall condition, needs the shift cable replaced, brighten up the chrome and remove the minor rust, true the rear wheel and replace the tube.

You folks know we will pull this for miles, any pointers before or during the quick rebuild and prior to the first adventure?

Thanks
    PK
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Tips for a tag a long-img_2544copy.jpg  

Reps! We don't need no stickin' reps!

Professional Crastinator
    The hitch is not complicated, but it is wayy overbuilt - for obvious reasons.

Ours was never geared high enough (single speed) for our daughter to pedal anywhere but on big hill climbs - which was very welcome.

We did take it on a couple trails. Take those turns R-E-A-L-L-Y W-I-D-E.

Oh, and have fun.

-F
    It's never easier - you just go faster.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Not sure the age of the child you are pulling, but my kids (between 3-5) were not able to use the grip shift. Swapped that out with a cheapie thumb shifter that they ended up wrapping their whole hand around like a car gear lever to shift.

Obviously, take turns extra wide but also try and communicate with the child to keep the inside foot high since you can't sync their pedal position. Even going around gentle turns in the neighborhood my kids would catch that pedal down on a curb from time to time. In fact, the pedals are pretty beat on ours. Missing reflectors and even one piece that links the spindle with the rest of the cage. On a single it can be a pretty jarring hit to adult and child. On a tandem the captain barely notices and the stoker feels the post get tugged, but it doesn't upset the huge mass that is a tandem.

They've got no brakes so you've just added a lot of mass to your bike. I've seen people rig BMX style brakes, with long arms, to the seat stay bridge. Might think about that if you feel the child is capable of participating.

Thought you got looks before?

PMK
    mtbr member
    Few things since I first posted this.

Totally tore it apart and greased everything. New shift cable. Changed up the ergos by installing an MTB flat bar, and trimming the seat post to go low enough.

The proper hitch has proven elusive. A friend gave me an Adams Trail-A-Bike hitch, and I purchased a new hitch through my friend that is a Trek dealer.

The Adams is a nice hitch, but not a perfect fit to the tag along. The new Trek hitch does not fit on account of the tab being to wide.

The Adams will be the choice and will easily, safely accomplish the job in the roughest terrain this will see.

I don't plan to have her shifting yet, since I doubt she is strong enough or has a large enough hand. So my thoughts are to build a new handlebar with a smaller diameter similar to a Yamaha PW50 and run small diameter PW grips.

With knowledge in hand and desire to make her rides nice, I am on the lookout for a kids 20" suspension bike to cut up and build a full suspension Tag Along.

I think with FS and small diameter bars she might be up for 30 to 40 off-road miles.

First outing will be very soon.

PK
    Reps! We don't need no stickin' reps!

Professional Crastinator
    Quote Originally Posted by bme107 View Post
    ... communicate with the child to keep the inside foot high since you can't sync their pedal position. Even going around gentle turns in the neighborhood my kids would catch that pedal down on a curb from time to time....
    +1

Almost forgot: "Pedals level!" Once they learn that, pedal strikes are greatly reduced.

-F
    It's never easier - you just go faster.