mtbr member

Tandem transport... anyone use the 1Up USA roof rack?

I use the 1up hitch rack and I love it. I see that they also make a tandem roof rack. Anyone here own/use one? Thoughts, impressions?

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    1Up makes a great product. I built my own rooftop tandem rack before 1Up started making their own. My rack is based off a Thule Sidewinder that I mounted to an aluminum channel.

I like my rack, but the One Up is nicer and probably holds the tandem better because both wheel have uprights to support the bike. I still use a strap to keep the tandem from swaying.

For the price, it's a nice rack. We are getting two roof mount racks for 1Up to use with our single bikes. They are super popular in the East where there are made (NC). They are rebuildable, expandable, adaptable, and there's nothing to rust of dry rot (all SS and Al).

Not having to remove the front wheel is awesome!

Keep in mind that 50# of tandem plus rack, add in wind pressure, bouncing down the road at seventy, you need a strong cross bar set up. Mine is mounted on a lumber rack on my truck.

mtbr member
    Thanks for the feedback Ben.

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    we have the single roof racks also and have considered the tandem rack but one thing to consider is how high you have to lift the bike With other tandem racks you typically mount the front fork and rotate it up. I just modified a Thule/ Atoc tandem topper to accept a thru axle so it should work fine on the Jefe.

mtbr member
    Off topic, but we carry our tandems in the back of the truck. I never liked any of the roof racks except for the Sport Works U2 tandem rack. All the other racks just never seemed stable and seemed to wobble a lot when moving at highway speeds. The Sport Works rack was a superior design and I'd even retrofit ours for the fat bike if I did not have the truck. It's too bad that Thule killed it when they bought Sport Works...

mtbr member
    Thanks again for the feedback guys. I think I am going to give the 1up a shot. The hitch rack I use today is very stable...and simple to load. I know it may be tougher to load, but being that it is a tandem, I'm guaranteed to have someone to help.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Bacons View Post
    Thanks again for the feedback guys. I think I am going to give the 1up a shot. The hitch rack I use today is very stable...and simple to load. I know it may be tougher to load, but being that it is a tandem, I'm guaranteed to have someone to help.
    It's a good choice ata fair price, 1Up makes great products.

You will probably still want to use a strap to prevent side to side "bobble".

No need to go fancy, I use a single cam strap attached to either side of my forward crossbar, looped over the stem, when tensioned it keeps the tandem stable, which reduces wear and tear on the rack and rack mount/bars.

K&K

My solution to wobble

Quote Originally Posted by ds2199 View Post
    ...All the other racks just never seemed stable and seemed to wobble a lot when moving at highway speeds....
    Here's my solution to stiffening things up. It's an aluminium tube with a frame strap cannibalized from another rack on the bike end, and the fork from an appliance wheel to secure it to the camper top.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by akexpress View Post
    I just modified a Thule/ Atoc tandem topper to accept a thru axle so it should work fine on the Jefe.
    Got any pics on this setup???
    I'm using a Thule rack on my Scion XB