Thread: Tandem rims

mtbr member

Tandem rims

I'm currently running some old (2002-3?) Mavic D521 rims on my ECDM.
    My stoker complains about rear tire squirm. I think I have a 2.4 UST Nevagal at about 34 psi on there now. The squirm has existed with a few different tires. I've tried more pressure but the ride gets harsh.

So these days they hype is for wider rims and I think I believe the hype. The D521 has a 21mm internal width, I believe. I could pick up some MTX33s for a reasonable cost, and I think the ERD is the same, so it would be an easy swap.

What say the other tandem teams, worthwhile swap? Has anyone here made a similar switch and have feedback? The Sun is not really all that wide by evolving wide standards, but wider than what I've got. There is the MTX 39 but it is sooo heavy! Any other suggestions?
    --Reamer

SC Tallboy LTc
    Ventana ECDM 26
    ventana el Ciclon
    Litespeed Classic
    Seven Ti Axion Tandem
    1989 Stumpjumper

PMK
    mtbr member
    FWIW, we ran the MTX (most likely 33) on our Fandango. For us they were a great rim with the 2.3 Panaracer tire.

Our ECDM 26 has been rolling Sun Ryhno Lites. With Sun no longer offering this rim, I would up with a mismatched set on a recent rim replacement. I will probably go with MTX on the ECDM.

PK
    Reps! We don't need no stickin' reps!

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    We run the MTX33 via the MTBTandems CK wheel set on our ECdM. We run 2.5" WTB Dissents at ~40psi with no squirm and no harshness comments from my stoker. ~360lb team weight.

mtbr member
    Thoughts on lacing new rims got me thinking....

Is there room for 650b wheels and reasonable tires on the back of the ECDM? Has anyone tried it? If money were not an issue I would go buy an ECDM 29, but I can't afford a new frame and fork right now...

(I'm away from home right now so I can't go check frame clearance.)

PMK
    mtbr member
    Run the 26 and be done with it. The ECDM 26 is not bad as is and I bet is limited by myself and stoker or often the teams limits.

A well setup 26 is plenty quick.

Each time I want to make a change, the stoker reminds me of what has been done, and with that we both agree if we trained more, it would far surpass the upgrades. Would the upgrades and training combined be even better, maybe, but we don't ride wide open all the time so it probably doesn't matter that much.

Obviously though, I get stupid focused on good suspension...my stoker is naive and has simple voice commands, like "I don't now, but something is not right".

FWIW, a less flexxy wheel will put more to the ground and less effort to corner with higher corner speeds.

PK
    Reps! We don't need no stickin' reps!

Old School Legs
    "Each time I want to make a change, the stoker reminds me of what has been done, and with that we both agree if we trained more, it would far surpass the upgrades. Would the upgrades and training combined be even better, maybe, but we don't ride wide open all the time so it probably doesn't matter that much."

and I'm willing to bet that pretty much sums up tandem riding with the wife/girlfriend, for most of us.
    I'm eating Lean Cuisine for lunch, so I can have beer for dinner

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    We ride on a Velocity Blunt 35mm wide rim and run it tubeless at 29psi. I really believe the wider rim does a lot too spread the tire casing and put down a larger footprint. Very pleased overall.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

MTB Tandem Nut
    Internal width on the original MTX33 is 27.5mm + - . Internal width on the Blunt 35 is 30mm. However, the MTX33 is way stronger than the Blunt 35, but heavier too. For accuracy's sake, the MTX33 I measured is the original 26" welded version. I do not know if the current 26" sleeved version is the same extrusion. The welded version can be set up ghetto tubeless easier than the sleeved version.
    I agree that wider rims increase tire performance dramatically. Glad to see wider rims becoming more common.
    MTB Tandems Inc.
    678-445-0711
    www.MTBTandems.com

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Alex, when the blunts are done, I'm interested in rebuilding with a set of the 40mm Derby carbon rims. Thoughts?

K&K

carbon wheels... :D

Carbon and Tandems... made me think of this Carbon Bicycle Wheel EXPLODES at 60kph. - YouTube

Couldn't resist...

mtbr member

Tandem rims

I've got a set of Light-Bicycle carbon rims on my 29er. After bashing them over and thru rock gardens and whatever for 18 months now I van say I would consider putting them on a tandem.
    light-bicycle will do some custom layup. My rims have extra carbon in them and they are strong and stiff. While very affordable for carbon, they're still more $$ than I want to throw at an experiment right now. I say experiment because I would go into it not expecting 5-10 year life from the things. (But compared to the Velocity rims not bad in price at all.)

The thing that amazes me about the carbon hoops on my single-bike: how much stiffer they are than the I-23 WTB rims I took off. The bike tracks SO much better! And I had had no idea my rims/wheels had been flexing until I had the new rims.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    --Reamer

SC Tallboy LTc
    Ventana ECDM 26
    ventana el Ciclon
    Litespeed Classic
    Seven Ti Axion Tandem
    1989 Stumpjumper

MTB Tandem Nut
    Quote Originally Posted by ki5ka View Post
    Carbon and Tandems... made me think of this Carbon Bicycle Wheel EXPLODES at 60kph. - YouTube

Couldn't resist...
    Looks to me like they lost the front tire first. The rim did unwrap itself pretty quickly though.
    MTB Tandems Inc.
    678-445-0711
    www.MTBTandems.com

mtbr member

Tandem rims

Quote Originally Posted by TandemNut View Post
    Looks to me like they lost the front tire first. The rim did unwrap itself pretty quickly though.
    Agreed.
    And as racing components they were probably not built for durability.
    --Reamer

SC Tallboy LTc
    Ventana ECDM 26
    ventana el Ciclon
    Litespeed Classic
    Seven Ti Axion Tandem
    1989 Stumpjumper

mtbr member

Tandem rims

Quote Originally Posted by mhopton View Post
    Alex, when the blunts are done, I'm interested in rebuilding with a set of the 40mm Derby carbon rims. Thoughts?

It would be interesting to see if derby can have a set built with extra material for greater strength. Do the Derbys come in 36 hole?
    --Reamer

SC Tallboy LTc
    Ventana ECDM 26
    ventana el Ciclon
    Litespeed Classic
    Seven Ti Axion Tandem
    1989 Stumpjumper

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    They do have a 36 hole and they have 2 layup options - regular and heavy duty.

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    Has anybody set up a set of Sun MTX33 tubeless using Stan's?

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Hey Mike, we run velocity rims vs Sun; however, given the ease of setting non-tubeless rims up tubeless with Stan's yellow tape and fluid, I don't know of any reason why you wouldn't be able to set them up. It's cheap to give it a try.....go for it and see what happens!

FWIW, we run ~31 front, 33 psi rear tubeless. Works great!

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    I used Stan's on my Niner EMD a few years ago and loved it...
    I did a quick search and it sounded like guys had problems setting up the MTX33 rims??
    I just ordered a set of WTB 2.25 Nine Line and they are TCS ready tires so I will call Stan's next week to ask them about the MTX rims.