Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Apr 2005

tandem rigid fork

Anyone know where to get a tandem rated or close rigid 29er fork for my Fandango 29er? We could of used it for the cohutta 100

Long Live Long Rides
    May 2008

fork

I would contact White Brothers and see if their Rock Solid fork would be tandem rated. I'll try to find out over the weekend as well.

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    I would like for it to be a 15mm thu axel so it will work with my wheel. (I currently am running the new white brothers fluid) I like it but I can't seam to get it not to bob when peddling

Long Live Long Rides
    May 2008
    I'm pretty sure they could build it that way. They are very modular in design. I'll ask them if I see them on the trails this weekend.

PMK
    mtbr member
    I know some folks prefer rigid forks on 29r bikes and now even tandems.

I don't know of a rigid fork with those dropouts but honestly I haven't watched for it.

Ultimately though, the thought of a rigid fork on an off-road tandem makes my wrists hurt.

I hope you find one and it works well for you. Be aware to of the length and fork offset, these should be close to the suspension fork when ridden.

PK
    Reps! We don't need no stickin' reps!

mtbr member
    We used a Surly Karate Monkey fork.

Long Live Long Rides
    May 2008

Trade secret

Over beer someone divulged that the White Brothers Rock Solid will be coming out with a 15mm thru axle soon. You could call them to check it out.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Don't know anything about it:

kona P2 Steel 29er disc forks - $29.95

You could ask Kona what they think of it on a tandem.

Have you tried slowing the rebound of your sus. fork?

Down South Yooper
    We're using a dmr trail blade on our 650b tandem. We have the qr version, but it's available in a thru axle as well (20mm?). Might fit 29er tires as well. If needed, I can throw a 29 wheel in it to see clearance, not sure if it'd change with the thru axle or not.

Plum
    This post is in 3B, three beers and it looks good eh!

Ultra Ventanaphile
    Worst Case scenario is to have a custom fork Built. Waltworks has done some crazy forks from burly 20mm to even 36" wheeled forks. I bet he can knock one out for sure, only caveat is he's got a new bean (baby) so he's a bit slowed on production but it could be a great way to get EXACTLY what you want.
    -Aaron G.

"Before D.W., "anti-squat" was referred to as pedal feedback."

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    I still have not found anyone who will build me fork or tell me their fork is tandem rated. Surly, salsa, bronto, erikson, quiring, ventana...you name it I have a king hub and can convert it back to a 20mm or even a qr. I may just go with a burly steel fork and move on. I think I could shed 6+ lbs from my WB fluid triple clamp which would help a lot on the Shenandoah 100 race

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Ciclistagonzo View Post
    Waltworks
    ?

I read the Frame Builder's forum often, and Walt would be my pick if I wanted something custom.

Anchorage, AK
    Quote Originally Posted by eischman View Post
    I still have not found anyone who will build me fork or tell me their fork is tandem rated. Surly, salsa, bronto, erikson, quiring, ventana...you name it I have a king hub and can convert it back to a 20mm or even a qr. I may just go with a burly steel fork and move on. I think I could shed 6+ lbs from my WB fluid triple clamp which would help a lot on the Shenandoah 100 race

I am not sure who you spoke to at Surly, but they have approved their Instigator fork for tandem use:

Instigator Fork | Parts | Surly Bikes

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    "but not necessarily dirt jumping on tandems."

Oh, well then...

Professional Crastinator
    Quote Originally Posted by ziax01 View Post
    I am not sure who you spoke to at Surly, but they have approved their Instigator fork for tandem use:

Instigator Fork | Parts | Surly Bikes
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by Okayfine View Post
    "but not necessarily dirt jumping on tandems."

Oh, well then...
    Yeah, but if you've got good trannys and not dropping to flat it should be OK.

-F
    It's never easier - you just go faster.

PMK
    mtbr member
    I don't really follow rigid fork stuff, but is the Instigator a 29" fork or 26". Reason I ask is that they want this for a 29" Fandango.

PK

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    the surly intigator is a 26er fork not a 29er and surly says they do not make any tandem rated 29r fork.

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Trails4Two View Post
    I'm pretty sure they could build it that way. They are very modular in design. I'll ask them if I see them on the trails this weekend.
    Any info?

Professional Crastinator
    the surly intigator is a 26er fork not a 29er and surly says they do not make any tandem rated 29r fork.
    A 29er wheel with QR will fit in the Instigator fork because the axle-to-crown = 447mm.
    It can also be used to replace a 100mm susp. fork on a 26er.
    Also, with a 43mm offset (aka "rake") it works OK with many 29er geometries.

The 447mm is the trick part - if it's too much shorter than your sagged suspension fork, then it is probably a poor replacement/substitute. For example, you would not replace a 120mm 26er fork with it - your pedals might end up dragging.

We have one on our MT1000, which is a 26er. The steering is great with a 26" wheel, but flip-floppy with a 29" wheel because the steering geometry is out of whack with the big wheel on there - specifically the trail figure.

Your actual mileage may vary.

-F
    Last edited by Fleas; 07-24-2012 at 05:18 AM.

N+1
    Walt at Waltworks built me a 20mm TA rigid fork for my 29er tandem. It ain't feathery light, but our rider weight is 400+. It's been flawless for 3 years.
    GET Bret Weir, I said.

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    looks like I am going to go with walt works! It will be ! 3lbs but that will drop 5-6 lbs. I still cant get the new WB loop to not bob

PMK
    mtbr member
    looks like I am going to go with walt works! It will be ! 3lbs but that will drop 5-6 lbs. I still cant get the new WB loop to not bob
    Best of luck with it. My wrists hurt thinking about a rigid fork.

As for the White Brothers fork and the bobbing, no answer on a fix, sorry.

Again best of luck with your new setup.

PK

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Walt is the man. I have been riding one of his forks on an older c'dale tandem for over a year. Great product and a great price. Walt was also awesome to deal with. He built me a 29er fork with a 1 in. Steerer. Been running avid mech. Brake with 203mm rotor no problem.
    Cans email some pics of the fork if you like.

MTB Tandem Nut
    We've been discussing this very project with WB and Ventana. The problem so far has been finding a fork with the correct C-A of 497mm to match the frame geometry. Looks like we will have a couple of options available soon, but we have to have 50 or so made to get them done. Question is, both options appear to fall in the $350 + - ballpark price-wise. Is that something folks would be willing to pay?
    BTW, both options will be QR15 to match most current forks.
    MTB Tandems Inc.
    678-445-0711
    www.MTBTandems.com

Professional Crastinator
    Quote Originally Posted by TandemNut View Post
    We've been discussing this very project with WB and Ventana. The problem so far has been finding a fork with the correct C-A of 497mm to match the frame geometry. Looks like we will have a couple of options available soon, but we have to have 50 or so made to get them done. Question is, both options appear to fall in the $350 + - ballpark price-wise. Is that something folks would be willing to pay?
    BTW, both options will be QR15 to match most current forks.
    Rigid fork?

The 447mm rigid Surly Instigator weighs 3.13#

The 500mm rigid VooDoo Zombie 500 weighs 3.44#

Considering that the Instigator IS tandem rated, I am thinking that the Zombie 500 might be tandem rated if its additional heft is in all the right places. I have one on a Canfield Nimble 9 and it is not harsh, but it does not flex much under heavy braking with high traction either.

However it is not 15QR, it's only 9mm. It's also $99.

-F

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast