Thread: Tandem Ready

mtbr member
    Dec 2013

Tandem Ready

Would like to invite other Tandem teams to enjoy our neck of the NorCal woods for epic singletrack (and haul road) experiences.
    My mendobikesprite captain has me in full training mode from messing- around- with- half-a- bike to concentrated learning on a huge new Ventana El Conquistator de Montanas ta da. (upgraded from a ridged Burley Rock and Roll). After a steep learning curve we now can cruise almost all the singletrack along the headlands here in Mendocino coast and the Redwood forest with hardly any hikeabike. Due to my Captain being kind, persistent (and according to him HIGHLY SKILLED) I am now able to hang on (and power boost) through most anything he can dish out and still smile! New to mtbr and will migrate over here to the Tandem Mountain Bike Forum to enjoy learning about other tandem team experiences. Sojo Stoker

PMK
    mtbr member
    Welcome to mountain bikings best kept secret. And great to have one more HIGHLY SKILLED Captain on this forum.

PK
    Reps! We don't need no stickin' reps!

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Have you ventured out to Paradise Royale yet? Making that loop without any hike-a-bike would be stuffing, to say the least!!

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    No I have not traveled to PR with the tandem but as with a single bike you can always hike a bike and keep going and smiling. We are blessed with so many miles of trails here that driving to PR is low on the list of things to do.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Any good maps of the Medo-area trails? We've been there a couple times camping at VanDamme and there isn't much in public knowledge that we ever found. Local bike shop took a look at our tandem and said we'd have a tough time on the local stuff.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Mendobikesprite View Post
    No I have not traveled to PR with the tandem but as with a single bike you can always hike a bike and keep going and smiling. We are blessed with so many miles of trails here that driving to PR is low on the list of things to do.

We did it last summer on our Fandango.....we being my 8 y/o son and I, and wifey on her single. Very, very cool loop. I highly recommend it! I think Bicycling mag gave it one of their "Top Ten Epic Rides"....?

Tandem Ready-20130712_121847.jpg

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    Yes! "Mountain Biking The Mendocino Coast and Beyond" by Roo Harris (a Mendo Bike Sprite Guide.) The trail system is extensive but has lots of good tandem friendly routes both along the headland ocean side trails and into the forests. The Mendo Bike Sprite service center in Ft Bragg may have copies if you can't find them elsewhere. PM me if you aren't able to find the book or want to connect with locals for a guided trip the first time up here. All the trails are pretty much unmarked and branch off in all directions so it's fun to go with a knowledgable guide and not have to backtrack or wonder about where you are constantly! I love the variety of track and terrain here.