Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast
    FunTimeRider!
    Quote Originally Posted by PMK View Post
    Eye Captain, how intense them trails be you plan to navigate. Could be some rough sailing for that road frame.

I would really be more worried about the low ground clearance on the RT2, plus the uncertainty of if there is enough strength in the frame for the stress of off-road and added length of the fork. Purely speculating, but economically the cost of the proper bike vs ER visit.

You do realize that you can sell an RT2 for easily what you can buy two used Cannondale mountain tandems for, provided the RT2 is not trashed.

PK
    Practically speaking, they would be very mild trails, as I don't think my wife would take kindly to technical single-track. I only just got her bike communing two years ago, and she is still gun-shy of much other than road riding. I've taken her & the tandem up the leif erickson trail here in Portland and she's responded mostly positively there.

The plan (in my mind) is to ride the RT2 for two years or so, and then upgrade to a touring frame w/ S&S for air-transport. Somwhere in that two years, I'm hoping to get my hands on a late model cannondale MT series. (irony here is that my dad had the very MT I want, but he sold it long before I met my wife)

That being said, aside from bashing in a tube on rocks, in theory it should be durable enough to put a fork on and take it on the trails around these parts. Back in the mid-90's, Bianchi made a triple butted steel mtn. frame that their teams raced with some success (or at least I don't remember hearing anything about the frames folding during rides).

mtbr member
    We are currently running a Fox Float 36mm (single crown) with Lock Out and 20mm thru axle on our Ellsworth Witness. Our team weight is only about 235, but we ride it pretty hard. I've lowered the travel to 130mm using the internal spacers.

Over the years I've tried the Maverick DUC and the White Brothers 100T - and this latest Fox fork blows them both away in terms of great handling, stiffness, and ride quality. Yes, Fox won't officially say its OK to run this fork on a tandem - but don't let that stop you. It's stronger than both the Maverick and the White Brothers.

have some friends that just got a 29er Ventana built with the Fox Float 34 and it's definitely the only way to go with a 29er tandem these days. So much better than the White Brothers fork - and according to Fox the 34mm legs with tapered steer tube is nearly as stiff in every way as the 36mm with straight 1 1/8" steer tube. Nice to finally have awesome forks for the awesome tandem mtn frames that have been around for several years now!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Henry@PineMountainSports View Post
    have some friends that just got a 29er Ventana built with the Fox Float 34 and it's definitely the only way to go with a 29er tandem these days. So much better than the White Brothers fork - and according to Fox the 34mm legs with tapered steer tube is nearly as stiff in every way as the 36mm with straight 1 1/8" steer tube. Nice to finally have awesome forks for the awesome tandem mtn frames that have been around for several years now!
    We are are also running a Fox 34 (actually a TALAS not FLoat) on our new ECDM 29. It is still too early to report, but base on the handful of rides that we have on it, I'd say that I prefer it to the Maveick Duc 32 that we have on our Fandango 29. More to come once we get some serious miles on it. I will say that we are big fans of the new bike too!!

PMK
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Henry@PineMountainSports View Post
    We are currently running a Fox Float 36mm (single crown) with Lock Out and 20mm thru axle on our Ellsworth Witness. Our team weight is only about 235, but we ride it pretty hard. I've lowered the travel to 130mm using the internal spacers.

Over the years I've tried the Maverick DUC and the White Brothers 100T - and this latest Fox fork blows them both away in terms of great handling, stiffness, and ride quality. Yes, Fox won't officially say its OK to run this fork on a tandem - but don't let that stop you. It's stronger than both the Maverick and the White Brothers.

Smaller, lighter teams can get away with a lot more. At 235 pounds, that's less than many single riders. You Ellsworth is likely on 12 pounds more than the single bikes these folks ride also.

Ironically, knowing the Ellsworth is 26", the fork that will outperform that Fox 36 is the Fox 40. The one advantage gained from a single crown vs a dual crown is turning radius. There is a weight difference, but the offset is strength and steering precision.

29r fork, on a hardtail like a Fandango or Cannondale, having a Fox 40 as a comparison, the modified ATC gets the job done. The ATC would improve another step if I spent the money on lighter spring(s).

BTW, my #2 29r pick would be a modified Fox 40 or Fox 36.

PK
    Reps! We don't need no stickin' reps!

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    I'm currently running a JP Morgen stem but I'm thinking of trying one of my 888RC forks on this GT tandem, Yes I will need to restrict the travel and get stiffer springs for it.

Any advice on the 888's to much fork...??

JP stems are works of art and they also work really well, specially on bikes like tandem's.

mtbr member
    Jan 2010

PMK
    mtbr member
    CLJ, I / we have never owned, ridden or worked on one. For single bikes they get great critiques overall for earlier model years. Some of the older froks had problems and also these older forks existed in a time less "good" for Manitou.

I did some searching for more info, this link gives some better details.

Manitou Dorado Pro MTB Fork Review | Mountain Bike Blog || SINGLETRACKS.COM

FWIW, my one personal reason against these forks are that they are a USD (upside down) style fork. Granted they can work very well, and done properly can be very flex free. The issue I have and see constantly with MX stuff is that the internal oil is always resting upon the seals, and these style forks are more prone to fork seal leaks. Not saying this will or will not happen, just is typical of the USD design.

Saying that, if we had the need and those forks were fit the bill, we would likely run them.

Supposedly, they are handbuilt in the US, arrive in a Gun Case for a shipping box, and have one year of included maintenance. So basically about as "works" as you can get off the shelf in a bicycle fork.

Before you pull the trigger, ask the pinnacle question...are they longer in length than your current WB 100 fork? If so how much will it alter the bikes handling and standover.

PK

MTB Tandem Nut
    Quote Originally Posted by clj2289 View Post
    I've got a brand new reduced travel one here if you want it. Very plush, but too plush for our team weight.
    MTB Tandems Inc.
    678-445-0711
    www.MTBTandems.com

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    Paul,

Thanks for the info. I will have to consider all of that.

Alex, I will have to give you a call and chat about that fork, but I thinking that if its too plush for you guys, then it might be too plush for us as well. You have provided us wonderful support with us on our White Bros and I really appreciate that.

I'm thinking about considering one of the Fox 34 29er forks. Not sure which one, but now that folks have spent some time on them, it might be a good time to get folks to come forward with their field test experiences.

Cheers,
    Chris

mtbr member
    Jun 2012

Fork help

So I have been reading about the different options you guys are talking about, but my needs are a little different.

I converted a burley zydeco to more of a mountain bike setup. I will be riding mostly tight hard pack single track in north texas. I am using this with my kids so our team weight will be about 250. I don't want to kick the front end up to much but would love to run a fork. Any ideas on what might work? PS. I would run a softride stem but I will be running a 100 mill stem so I am not sure a suspension stem will be short enough.

PMK
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rmabus View Post
    So I have been reading about the different options you guys are talking about, but my needs are a little different.

I converted a burley zydeco to more of a mountain bike setup. I will be riding mostly tight hard pack single track in north texas. I am using this with my kids so our team weight will be about 250. I don't want to kick the front end up to much but would love to run a fork. Any ideas on what might work? PS. I would run a softride stem but I will be running a 100 mill stem so I am not sure a suspension stem will be short enough.
    Assuming the frame is a 1 1/8 headtube, your best bet is looking for a good condition used Marzocchi Dirt Jumper or similar series with the brake posts and quick release axle. This may be a tough request from what others have mentioned.

If the frame is 1", I doubt there is much left anymore.

Best of luck with it.

PK

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    It is definitely a 1 1/8th. I talked to the owner of mtbtandem.com and he really kindof steered me away from a fork altogether, and recommended that I use this tandem as a test platform to see if I like it, then upgrade to a REAL Mtb tandem. My only issue is the fact that I am only going to ride this thing for about 3 years or so with my sons. As they get older they need to ride there own bikes. In other words I am not a long term tandem owner and dumping a lot of money into this or a better tandem is just not wise. I figure a used fork and maybe a front disk brake are about all I plan to put into this thing.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Rmabus View Post
    My only issue is the fact that I am only going to ride this thing for about 3 years or so with my sons
    Big fat front tire? Don't know how fat a tire you can get away with, but I remember our old KHS off-road tandem came with anemic 1.9s. We run 2.5" WTB Dissents on our Ventana. Will depend on what sort of fork clearance you have, and the size of the rims...

Adding front disc requires the requisite fork and disc brake setup, but also a new hub (and likely a new front wheel build).

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    I am thinking about simply leaving it alone. I am currently running a meat cleaver of a front Schwalbe tire. It is either a 2.25 or a 2.5. I will probably be going to a set of magura hydro rim brakes and leave it be.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    I have yet to take this off road as my kids wanted to ride there own new bikes first but spinning around the neightborhood even with the a 2.5 tire up front, I get the feeling I am going to be pulling for a dirt jumper fork soon. Anyone ever tried to drop the travel some to lower the crown height to accomodate a non sus fork frame?

Long Live Long Rides
    May 2008

Dirt Jumper

The DJ series is a spring fork with Air assist. If you don't put air in it, it will ride at about 75-80mm travel. If you find you are bottoming out, gradually add air and I would bet that you would soon be using full travel with no notable steering effects.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    You know I am thinking about this more but to be honest I am wrestling with how to go about getting this all done. I live in Dallas right so it is not like I need some serious duel piston disk brakes. The rear end is not even set for disk. So I have been kicking around the idea of a v-brake dj fork or the other duel crown tandem fork and using some magura hydro rim brakes for the short run. I don't want to put a ton of money into this yet so I am trying to work on the cheap. I know everyone says eventually you will spend more but the "time value" of money is also in play here.

Long Live Long Rides
    May 2008

Fork

A friend of mine in Denver just inherited a Cannondale Moto fork from a friend. It is 100mm travel, has rim posts and disc mount. It is a solid fork, we rode one for years. Others can add their .25, but it would be a good place to start. Price would probably be VERY low ( I can't speak for him directly. If you are interested post here. He is on the tandem forum or I can connect you.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Suspension Fork Experience - What's Working? What's Not?-2012-10-15_20-29-06_451.jpg  

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Trails4two. Pm sent.

Grom
    Oct 2012
    Wow, that's an old ass fork; personally I've been pleased with the RS Tora line since it uses a steel steerer and butted chromo stanchtions with 20mm maxle light lowers. Standard QR's flex awfully and aluminum unlike steel breaks before bending, got one on E-bay for around 2 bills and works well; make sure to get an air spring though.

mtbr member
    Dec 2012

Fox Talas 36 RC

How does the Fox Talas 36 RC hold up as a tandem fork? We are a 280lb team.

PMK
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by DonP. View Post
    How does the Fox Talas 36 RC hold up as a tandem fork? We are a 280lb team.
    First off, understand that none of the FOX fork products are rated for tandems. Saying that though, a lot of people run them.

The 36 Talas you have should have more than enough knobs and adjustments to dial it in and provide excellent performance.

I'm not sure if yours is the RC or RC2 style cartridge. Not a big deal, but what is very worthwhile is the high speed compression clicker.

You will want to build the required routine maintenance tools and frequently change the lower fluid. This is very important since when accomplishing this task, you are cleaning the seals and lubing them.

Also, it is not uncommon to have the forks lowers crack at the axle perch. This caused by using a 5mm hex wrench that easily overtightens the pinch bolts.

I made up, (and recently lost, left in the bed of the Tacoma and drove away) a 5mm hex wrench on a screwdriver handle. This is easily capable of the 19inlb torque for the pinch bolts and axle. Also, after each ride, I always loosen the axle pinch bolts and axle itself to help prevent cracking.

We run a fork with similar features, a Fox 40 Kashima DH fork. It is really nice to have the ability to adjust easily for whatever the conditions are. Our recent FTF we attended had different terrain than home. Home is more sandy and rooted vs the FTF which is hardpack and rooted plus rocks. On our first ride of the FTF, after about a mile I had the stoker reach down and soften the DHX 5.0air rear shock Propedal which is basically the HSC. Once the back settled in and was hooked up well without harshness, I made a couple of changes to the front forks HSC. Without stopping or even slowing, we had the bike dialed in within 1/2 a mile.

Your RP23 on the rear is not as versatile, but the fork should be.

PK

mtbr member
    Jul 2010

i am very interested if not sold yet...

very interested in this fork please let me know if not sold...
    Quote Originally Posted by Trails4Two View Post
    A friend of mine in Denver just inherited a Cannondale Moto fork from a friend. It is 100mm travel, has rim posts and disc mount. It is a solid fork, we rode one for years. Others can add their .25, but it would be a good place to start. Price would probably be VERY low ( I can't speak for him directly. If you are interested post here. He is on the tandem forum or I can connect you.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by XDEADGOATX View Post
    very interested in this fork please let me know if not sold...
    I'll ask the guy if he still has it.

mtbr member
    Dec 2012

Air pressure

Quote Originally Posted by PMK View Post
    First off, understand that none of the FOX fork products are rated for tandems. Saying that though, a lot of people run them.

The 36 Talas you have should have more than enough knobs and adjustments to dial it in and provide excellent performance.

I'm not sure if yours is the RC or RC2 style cartridge. Not a big deal, but what is very worthwhile is the high speed compression clicker.

You will want to build the required routine maintenance tools and frequently change the lower fluid. This is very important since when accomplishing this task, you are cleaning the seals and lubing them.

Also, it is not uncommon to have the forks lowers crack at the axle perch. This caused by using a 5mm hex wrench that easily overtightens the pinch bolts.

I made up, (and recently lost, left in the bed of the Tacoma and drove away) a 5mm hex wrench on a screwdriver handle. This is easily capable of the 19inlb torque for the pinch bolts and axle. Also, after each ride, I always loosen the axle pinch bolts and axle itself to help prevent cracking.

We run a fork with similar features, a Fox 40 Kashima DH fork. It is really nice to have the ability to adjust easily for whatever the conditions are. Our recent FTF we attended had different terrain than home. Home is more sandy and rooted vs the FTF which is hardpack and rooted plus rocks. On our first ride of the FTF, after about a mile I had the stoker reach down and soften the DHX 5.0air rear shock Propedal which is basically the HSC. Once the back settled in and was hooked up well without harshness, I made a couple of changes to the front forks HSC. Without stopping or even slowing, we had the bike dialed in within 1/2 a mile.

Your RP23 on the rear is not as versatile, but the fork should be.

PK
    Received the bike yesterday and in checking things out found the fork is the RC2 model with the flip levers to secure the thru axel. The fork had 150psi and the shock was at 240psi. Seems high for our weight, I run 50/150 on my Enduro. What would you reccommend for starting pressures. We won't be taking any big hits for a while just light trail rides for now...

Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast