Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast
    PMK
    mtbr member
    Some forks are better than others in regards to working on them. Some are easy to destroy while others can easily be repaired. Having 99 extra "O"rings could be an indicator of your need to work on your machine more often...

Often the worst part about bicycle suspension work, especially in regards to air forks, is worn anodized surfaces coupled with lack of frequent normal maintenance and planned obsolescence or no availability of parts.

If I had a fraction of the money spent replacing stuff I was unable to repair due to maintenance neglect, I could possibly buy another ECDM or Fandango.

Some of the most neglected areas are removing the forks lower legs and cleaning all the dust from the seal area. No amount of washing or external maintenance will accomplish this. Also, the degradation in how the fork feels is often huge. So not only is the fork being destroyed, the ride is poor and control on rough terrain is reduced. Often this results in a complete fork replacement.

PK

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    We ride in a pretty dusty environment, but there wasn't much grit intrusion past the wipers. The felt seals even seemed reusable. I typically clean the bike, at most, after every second ride, so that may have something to do with it. And, while dusty, we don't deal much with wet conditions.

If anyone has an '06 Marz 66 (or whatever other years/models use the same) and needs the Doppio o-rings, PM me for my address and send me a SASE.

PMK
    mtbr member
    The comment about the fine dust getting past the dust wiper was not directed towards you in particular, more a general statement letting everyone understand more about this and possible consequences.

Running parallel to this are items like the RP3 and all similar type rear shocks.

PK

mtbr member
    Sep 2010

Good job!

Updating for new fork. Changed out from an '06 Marz 66SL air to a 2011 Marz 66EVO coil. Main changes are 38mm stanchions (up from 35), QR20 (up from bolt-on through-axle), 8" disc post mount (up from 6"), and the differences between air spring and coil spring.

Had it out on the trail today and it is a nice fork. Stiffer than the '06, mainly felt when climbing square hits at an angle. Plusher, but that may be my higher-than-spec'ed air pressures in the '06. No sticktion from new, and that QR20 is really nice. And, despite the advertised 180mm travel, I seem to have more standover than I did with the '06 which was 170mm travel. I didn't measure A-to-C, but I should to see if there are differences to account for the added standover. Not complaining! All in all, a worthwhile upgrade for the pittance I paid from Huck'n'Roll.

Still working on settings, but currently has 15psi preload, about 2/3rds coil spring preload, 6 of 8 clicks toward hard compression dampening, and middle-of-the-road rebound settings. The preloads probably won't change much, but the rebound/compression are sure to.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Suspension Fork Experience - What's Working? What's Not?-img_3655.jpg  

PMK
    mtbr member
    Side shot please.

FWIW, I typically run the cable or hose inside the fork leg and ensure the hose does not touch the upper tube.

Overall though sounds good.

PK
    Reps! We don't need no stickin' reps!

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    The brake line is free from the stanchion by about 1/2" and this doesn't seem to change under compression. The Hope lines are rubber-coated braided stainless, so there'd have to be a fair amount of rub before there'd be damage. Marz's front-mount clip is alright, but their older rear-mount clip (as on my '06) was better. Luckily I didn't have to reposition the line coming out of the caliper, but it was close.

Not sure where I get the added standover. A-to-C on the '06 is ~22", while A-to-C on the '11 appears to be closer to 22.5". Very odd.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Suspension Fork Experience - What's Working? What's Not?-img_3656.jpg  

mtbr member
    I've run my hoses both inside and outside. I also prefer inside. From that front-clip it cleanly route inside the leg. I figure it's less susceptible to damage -- not that I've damaged brake hoses...

Proud lame eBiker
    How about the new Fox Talas 34 in 29er dress. Tapered Headtube.

Any feelings?
    www.velocitybicycles.comWhere customers become friends, not simply a dollar sign.

PMK
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Internal14 View Post

Any feelings?
    On what frame and how small are the riders?

PK

mtbr member

Any feelings?
    We are currently riding this setup on out new ECDM 29er. We are a light(ish) team at around 270lbs. So far so good, I like the fork. We did not get the opportunity to get many miles in before the snow.

I'll update in the spring/summer when we get some more time on it. For what its worth, we don't launch any big drops...

PMK
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ds2199 View Post
    We are currently riding this setup on out new ECDM 29er. We are a light(ish) team at around 270lbs. So far so good, I like the fork. We did not get the opportunity to get many miles in before the snow.

I'll update in the spring/summer when we get some more time on it. For what its worth, we don't launch any big drops...
    Exactly, so much of this fork to use discussion is based around the size of the riders, the ability of the riders, the terrain, how much the riders want to push the extremes of where they ride, and for some cost / warranty concerns, others often prefer "tandem rated" endorsements from the manufacturer, some prefer performance over endorsements.

You just need to find the category that fits and go with it.

We run two different brands of off-road forks on our tandems. One is not tandem rated, but works very well. The other is not a popular fork because the performance is poor as it comes from the manufacturer. I was just lucky and sorted it out, making it our hardtail fork for the Fandango 29r. Would we be happy with a White Brothers, maybe, a Marzocchi, maybe, a Maverick, you see my point.

The flip side is, if you are a shop, and you install say a Fox fork, that is explicitly not approved for a tandem, are you as the shop owner willing to take that risk?

So many decisions...

PK

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    What's not working...

White Brothers Magic T100 leaks all air out in <24 hours. Any idiot checks before I ship it to MRP? Works fine while there's air in it. Thanks for any advice.

Mike

PMK
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by She&I View Post
    What's not working...

White Brothers Magic T100 leaks all air out in <24 hours. Any idiot checks before I ship it to MRP? Works fine while there's air in it. Thanks for any advice.

Mike
    Valve core tight...top cap tight (snug)

PK

PMK
    mtbr member

Any feelings?
    Guess now we know, funny title for your post

Follow along children. Tandem build!

Long Live Long Rides
    May 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by She&I View Post
    Any idiot checks before I ship it to MRP?
    Valve core: sometimes tiny things can get stuck in the core itself. Pull it , clean it and try again. You can also test by dripping water on it (while at full pressure) and looking for bubbles.

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    Thanks, guys. Will do.

Mike

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Also with the valve core, check the cap. We had a very small piece of debris stuck inside the cap/cover and it was placed so it was bleeding air from the fork. Drove me crazy.
    FWIW, our Magic fork seems to lose air during the coldest time of the year. Spoke to WB about it and they felt it was something that was pretty normal since it held air when it was warmer.
    Ed and Pat Gifford
    the Snot Rocket tandem

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    I removed and cleaned the valve core, and so far it looks like we're back in biz. No apparent leakage in 20+ hours.

PK, T4T, Giff: Thanks greatly for the info. You guys saved me some hassle, not to mention down time.

Mike

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Iam selling my cannondale moto fr fork in perfect condition.

eighty aid serviced, red and blue spring + tool, powder coated in dark blue, reeinforced for disc brake use, only 100km since last full service

if you need more information send me a pm

shipping from germany to other countrys is available

anyone interested?

powermac

PMK
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by powermac View Post
    Iam selling my cannondale moto fr fork in perfect condition.

eighty aid serviced, red and blue spring + tool, powder coated in dark blue, reeinforced for disc brake use, only 100km since last full service

if you need more information send me a pm

shipping from germany to other countrys is available

anyone interested?

powermac
    What bike or tandem did was it removed from? What fork was installed to replace it?

FWIW, you may need to list this in the MTBR classifieds to prevent both yours and my post from being removed.

PK

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Hi,

the fork was removed from a germans cycles tandem, i will replace it with a rigid fork because the last 3 years i rode both forks time by time and for my use of the bike the rigid is the better choice (speedy forest way and empty road tracks). Most of this time the moto fr lies around. You can see the tandem on the german cycles website in the gallery. I know about the classifieds but the problem is i dont have the number of posts for it, i think this will change soon :-)

Power

FunTimeRider!
    So on the topic of Suspension forks, has anyone converted a cannondale road frame by way of attaching a suspension fork up front and riding as a hard-tail? If not, any suggestions there in?

Long Live Long Rides
    May 2008

Conversion

Just my .02 but I wouldn't do it. Try riding your bike cyclocross style, then if you like roads and trails and want more - buy an actual off-road tandem. Used C'dale, Fandango, or other.

FunTimeRider!
    Quote Originally Posted by Trails4Two View Post
    Just my .02 but I wouldn't do it. Try riding your bike cyclocross style, then if you like roads and trails and want more - buy an actual off-road tandem. Used C'dale, Fandango, or other.
    As a practical matter, I agree with you and my wife would never let me try such a surgery (at least not this early in the game). We have tested the bike out as a cross and it works quite well, but I'm having fun looking at my various options!

PMK
    mtbr member
    Eye Captain, how intense them trails be you plan to navigate. Could be some rough sailing for that road frame.

I would really be more worried about the low ground clearance on the RT2, plus the uncertainty of if there is enough strength in the frame for the stress of off-road and added length of the fork. Purely speculating, but economically the cost of the proper bike vs ER visit.

You do realize that you can sell an RT2 for easily what you can buy two used Cannondale mountain tandems for, provided the RT2 is not trashed.

PK

Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast