Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Southern Cal Tandem Teams

41K views 258 replies 30 participants last post by  unikid28 
#1 ·
We are about 2 months on our new ECDM and loving it. How about getting a So.Cal.ride going? We were riding Chino Hills today and saw another team for the first time up there. We ride there about 3-4 times a week in Chino Hills. Need a break, to go somewhere else. Who was up there today? Love to hook up....

#4 ·
I saw you guys on the trail, but with all the solo riders that you had around you, it made for a bad place to stop. I don't get into CHSP much with the tandem, but ride the Fullerton loop on it often. I also ride CHSP solo, but try to stay clear of telegraph as much as possible. It'd be great to be able to get some tandem rides set up sometime. By the way that's a nice looking bike!

#5 ·
Bill, let's add Mark and Cat in Simi Valley, Jeff and his wife in Redlands, Patrick and Maria in Fullerton, and myself and my wife out here in Thousand Oaks. That's all I know, but it was more than I knew about a few months ago.

Patrick mentioned looking to bring you guys out here for a city-to-sea ride in Sycamore.:thumbsup:

#6 ·
I'm a Fullerton Loop local. Our tandem is getting closer to completion. With the rest of the details and work travel, we should be hittin' the trails in about 2 months.

I've seen Jeff and his wife from Redlands ride up at Kernville - that team rocks!

Attachments

#8 ·
Bill, we were out at Sycamore canyon Riverside on Sunday and did Peters canyon on Saturday. Most all of the places around are ride able on the tandem. Most of the trails we even pull Adam on his bike.
I just rode Santiago Oaks on my single last week and the new trails look like they would be a blast on the big bikes. Some other places we've ridden are Aliso, El Moro, Turnbull, Whiting (Whiting to the Luge was a kick), Bonelli, Cheesbro, Sycamore Canyon (Pt. Mugu).
We just set up our sitter to watch Adam one Saturday every month so we can get out on the bike and not have to pull him up some of the hills, unfortunatly our Feburary date is this weekend (the 19th) and it looks like rain......maybe next month.
The only thing to worry about is crowds. The big bikes attract them, a group of big bikes more so.
BTW what trails do you ride out at Chino, maybe you coould show us around sometime?
Anyway keep us in mind, we'd love to meet up again.

#10 ·
Patrick,sorry I forgot that there is two different Sycamore's. I was referring to the one out by Julian's, that one looks nice. Don't know much about the Riverside one. Let us know when you want to ride CHSP, it is limited unless you climb some pretty good hills. We have been doing CHSP about 4 days a week.

#11 ·
SC Tandems

Hi All,

My stoker wife and I have a ECDM. We are in Aliso and ride many trails in our area including: Aliso Woods, Nix, Quail Hill, Laguna Wilderness, El Moro, Whiting, Santiago Truck Trail, Luge, Harding, and Maple Springs. We also do quite a few rides with the Irvine Conservancy. We would love to hook up with some other Tandem teams for group outings. :thumbsup: Let me know when the gang is getting together.

Paul

#12 ·
Blaster1200 said:
I'm a Fullerton Loop local. Our tandem is getting closer to completion. With the rest of the details and work travel, we should be hittin' the trails in about 2 months.

I've seen Jeff and his wife from Redlands ride up at Kernville - that team rocks!
Blaster, I have to ask, is that a frame you built or bought and modified for rear disc and big fork.

Just not sure what you have and will be embarrassed for not knowing.

Looks steel, probably welded and smoothed. The long diagonal wants me to say it an Ibis, but they all seem to run a full length top tube.

So what gives, did you post about it before and I didn't pay attention?

PK

#13 ·
PMK said:
Blaster, I have to ask, is that a frame you built or bought and modified for rear disc and big fork.

Just not sure what you have and will be embarrassed for not knowing.

Looks steel, probably welded and smoothed. The long diagonal wants me to say it an Ibis, but they all seem to run a full length top tube.

So what gives, did you post about it before and I didn't pay attention?

PK
Take a look at this thread in the Frame Building Forum.

Post #2.
http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=686129

Looks like his own creation, pretty cool.

#14 ·
PMK, as Ciclistagonzo indicated, it's my own creation. The frame is fillet-brazed chromoly. I still have a few more details to finish (the braze-ons are mostly complete), but I'm leaving on a business trip, so I won't get the frame to the powder coater until the first week of April. I'm super excited to see it almost completed!

#15 ·
Hey All, we have a sitter lined up for Saturday 3/19 and was wondering if anybody wanted to get together for a ride? We were thinking somewhere local to OC, maybe Aliso or something? Our sitter is scheduled for 8:00am and we are in Fullerton so we were thinking maybe 9:00am start time? Let me know, also Aliso isn't set in stone so if you have any ideas I'd like to hear them.

#21 ·
Sorry for the last minute on this.....
We've got a sitter again for this Saturday April 16th.
Does anybody want to get big bikes together for a ride? We were thinking about riding Santiago Oaks @ Irvine Regonial Park. We took the tandem there last month and had a blast, there is a ton of single track and you'll be able to practice your switchback turns.
This is just an idea, if you have any other ideas let us know.
We're looking at a 8:30-9:00ish ride start. Parking would be @ IRP and cost $5.

Patrick & Maria

#25 ·
Julian, I'd say that the switchbacks would be a 4 (maybe 5). Compared to Guadalasco the IRP(Santiago Oaks) trails are new so they don't have all of the rocks that Guad has, also they are a hair wider. We rode there last month the trails were great. Most of the trails are either new or reworked by a trail building company so they drain properly and don't get so tore up by the rain. Check out this thread from another site, it has some trail pics.
http://www.socaltrailriders.org/forum/ride-reports/55069-rethinking-oaks.html
So how's that new rig treating you guys?

#26 ·
We are tentatively in for Saturday's ride. Only variable is our truck just sprang a CE light. If it needs something serious, I'll have to deal with it over the weekend. If it is drivable, we'll be there. Will confirm in the next day or so. Trail photos look great. Be nice to ride without the water crossings.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.