Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9
    mtbr member
    Feb 2005

Re: Southern Cal Tandem Teams

We live in Redlands and have a full suspension Ventana. There is another couple Jeff and Lisa who ride a tandem. I've never seen a group of mountain tandems here but would definitely be interested to meet up for a group ride either at Hulda, Crafton, Loch Leven etc.

Old School Legs
    We are pretty undisciplined when it comes to keeping a schedule, especially early morning rides. We're more mid-day to afternoon kind of riders.

We've been gearing up to make it to the "Ride in the Rocks" out in Lucerne in a couple of weekends. We've done this ride three times, and we're the only tandem there. It would be great if there were others!

There isn't really a tandem "entry fee" on their list, but we usually pay the family rate.
    2013 Ride in the Rocks | Annual Fundraiser | Educational Foundation | Mitsubishi Cement Corporation

From the top of Crafton
    I'm eating Lean Cuisine for lunch, so I can have beer for dinner

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    Hi,

We're looking to organize a ride around Redlands/Yucaipa either Sunday, November 17 or November 24. Thinking of riding either Crafton Hills, Hulda Crooks, or Loch Leven (maybe Thomas Hunting Grounds). If you have a preference on date and location, please let us know!

I think we prefer Loch Leven, because of the scenery and we could also grab lunch at the cafe in Angelus Oaks before the descent back to our cars.

Jeff & Katie

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    The ride is set. We'll meet at Loch Leven at 9:00am. Loch Leven is about 15 minutes outside of Redlands. There is a good amount of singletrack, but most of it is pretty wide singletrack and tandem friendly. No tight switchbacks. We have 5 groups of tandems who've said they are likely to make it.

Route will be similar to this ride - Mountain Bike Ride Profile | Loch Leven + a little SART near Mentone | Times and Records | Strava

More details on the facebook events page - https://www.facebook.com/events/177139225813210/

Or post up here and Jeff (drdoak) or I will reply.

Jeff and Lisa

Old School Legs
    We're going... to suffer. That's a lot of climbing for us old folk.

Jon & Teresa

"the big red train"
    Apr 2007
    Sounds like a fun ride. I'm picking up my stoker(Maria) from the airport that afternoon. Let us know how the ride goes, sounds like a fun time with 5 teams going. Keep us in mind for future rides. I might even break out my new stoker(my 7yr old son) and make Maria ride her single.
    Patrick & Maria
    Fullerton

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    I'm sure we'll look to do this a few times a year, probably at different locations.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Hi Pinnacle10, looks like a great ride. It's a long drive for us from Southern OC but I'm going to try to talk the Stoker into going. It would be cool to see some new tandem friendly trails and get the tandems out in mass.

Thanks,

Paul and Lisa

Old School Legs
    From last Saturday's Ride in the Rocks, Lucerne Valley

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    Between here and Facebook it looks like there are 6 tandems that are in, and at least another 3 I know of that are possible. My wife and I went out and did the first and last 5.5 miles of the ride. For anyone not familiar with the area, this is where most of the elevation is, after about 6.5 miles there's a lot more up and down and the elevation tends to come easier.

Here's the ride we did - Mountain Bike Ride Profile | Up and down Loch Leven near Mentone | Times and Records | Strava

Once we get to Angelus Oaks at 6.5 miles we'll regroup. There's a store and restaurant and you can usually fill up water there without any problems. We'll hop on the fireroad just past the Post Office and continue towards Thomas Hunting Grounds. I think we'll skip the first sections of the SART (it gets a little narrow with exposure in areas), but if some want to do it we can meet back up at the next section. I think the SART through Thomas Hunting Grounds will be great on a tandem. After THG we'll head back up the fireroad and back towards Angelus Oaks.

If people want we can stop and eat at the Restaurant on the way back down so bring some money if you think you might want to. If not, the ride back to the cars is the same way we came up to start.

Old School Legs
    We'll probably skip eating at the resturant... saving our money for beers at Brew Rebellion in Yucaipa!

Old School Legs
    Sunday's ride was great. 7 tandem teams, and the fabulous Loch Leven area to ride.
    More photos here also: https://www.facebook.com/#!/bikeforbender

Thanks to Jeff S. (pinnacle10) for getting us together. We had never met any of these teams before, and now we have an extended IE tandem family to ride with

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9