Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Southern Cal Tandem Teams

41K views 258 replies 30 participants last post by  unikid28 
#1 ·
We are about 2 months on our new ECDM and loving it. How about getting a So.Cal.ride going? We were riding Chino Hills today and saw another team for the first time up there. We ride there about 3-4 times a week in Chino Hills. Need a break, to go somewhere else. Who was up there today? Love to hook up....

#225 · (Edited)
Back in the late 90's, early 00's, we used to have a group of 5 tandems that we would regularly ride Chino Hills, Fullerton loop, Marshall Canyon, Santiago canyon, Big Bear, etc. Used to race the tandem class then also, used to be usually 10-12 tandem teams then
I since have sold our tandem( wife didn't have any interest after our son was born)
I sure miss those days, those were some of funniest riding days that I've had.

#227 · (Edited)
I am a longtime MTB'er but wife doesn't ride her bike at all (but does enjoy her spin classes). So I recently bought a used hardtail tandem to see if we could ride together without her being left behind. Our maiden voyage up Aliso Creek trail to Cook's corner and back (all pavement) from Laguna Hills went well and without any complaints. Based on that, I installed wider rims and tires, put a suspension fork on the front and stoker post on back to make it more dirt-friendly. Ride #2 was down Aliso Creek trail and around Laguna Niguel lake and back. Mix of smooth hard pack and pavement. Again no complaints other than some seat adjustments. Now we need to try some more fire road / relatively tame single track to test out the bike (and wife) to see how they get along. We are open to ideas about stuff that isn't too crazy up or down. Would like to be able to clean everything and not have to get off or push or spook the stoker into not liking this. I've been riding so long I only know the more tech stuff around here so I have to dig out my old notes or check Geoladders for some ideas in OC.

#239 ·
22T on a triple is pretty standard since 9spd. 28T is nearly my middle ring (32T) and there are lots of places in the local hills we couldn't get up with 28T granny. SoCal has much more hills than flats.

You will have to let up on the pedal pressure when changing down chainrings. I will call out "Down!" when I'm changing down front chainrings, both to let my stoker know to expect the jolt and so that she'll let up while the front mech does its thing. If we hammered the cranks and I clicked the front shifter down, we could keep the chain on the bigger ring just with pedal pressure.

#241 ·
Unfortunately our tandem came with 28/38/48 in front. I agree not what one would normally find on an MTB single. I had read somewhere that tandem teams can push higher gears, so was hoping the set up that came on our bike might be sufficient. Obviously it's not for some of the trails we are hoping to do. I since found a complete triple ring set in my garage that got taken off a single MTB after minimal use several years back. I now have that installed, with a 22 in front. We plan to hit up the same trail again this weekend to compare the changes we've made.

Thanks for the tip about calling out the down shifts. Although I did find a cable issue that was the likely cause of the sticky shifts, this communication tip will come in handy going forward. Since the surprising jolts were another thing that the stoker didn't care for on our last ride. I can avoid startling her as well as get her to ease off a bit to facilitate the shifts.

David

#247 ·
Ventana ECDM Superdust 19/16 for sale in So Cal. Sadly it doesn't get ridden anymore...Sure was fun to ride with my wife and then with my daughter...

2003 model with long travel rockers give it 5.3" travel.
RP23 shock
Marzocchi Junior T fork with 6" travel
Wheels are White Industry Hubs laced to Sun Rhyno Lite rims, 36 hole, 14 gauge spokes
Shimano XT 9 speed drivetrain
Front brake is an Avid Juicy with 203 rotor
Rear brake is a Shimano XT 755 with stainless braided line.
IRC Kujo DH tires. I have 3 new DH tires I will throw in with it.
Easton Monkey carbon handlebar - captain. Titus branded Answeer protaper bar - stoker
Captain seatpost is a telescoping slider so you can drop the seat via QR without dropping the stoker's bars.

$3,000 OBO
Bicycle tire Tire Bicycle frame Wheel Bicycle wheel rim

Bicycle tire Tire Bicycle wheel rim Wheel Bicycle frame

#250 ·
Can't see getting into a Ventana any cheaper, that's for sure. Very much an older frame, but the horizontal shock design isn't as much of an issue as parts availability for that rear shock. Also not thrilled with the rear rim brakes/no rear disc mounts. ISIS BBs are also pretty thin on the ground (ask me how I know), but that bike could serve as an upgrade and gateway to something more modern down the road. And the asking price is less than the trade-in value if you bought a new ECdM frame from Ventana.

#252 ·
Ditto what everyone else said. You might be able to get a swingarm from Ventana for Disks. But certainly a great "gateway" bike especially if your stoker is a kid.
You can also still order a Fox 36 with a 1.125" straight steer tube in the 26" wheel size at whatever travel size you want. I put a DPX on my recent Testigo rebuild and it just revolutionized the rear end.

https://www.thebikedads.com/ventanas-full-suspension-tandem-el-conquistador-de-montanas/

#254 ·
Hey So Cal tandem riders. Its time again to get back out and ride. If there are any tandem teams in So Cal that would enjoy riding with other tandems post up when and where and let's see if we can get this thing going again. We had a ton of fun in the past and looking for more

#257 ·
FYI there is a newish ECDM listed on Craigslist in Tustin: https://orangecounty.craigslist.org/bik/d/tustin-ventana-tandem-mtb/6904212152.html

Looks like the ad from the prior owner in Huntington Beach is still up on Pinkbike if you want more details: https://www.pinkbike.com/buysell/2572934/

There was a similar ad on Craigslist HB for a bit before it came down and this new one came up in Tustin.

It appears like the Tustin party bought it and then they (or stoker!) changed his mind and had to put back up for sale.

Unfortunately that is more tandem than the wife and I need. Though it is quite tempting.

Perhaps others on here can help it find a new home.

David

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.