Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by She&I View Post
    Don't feel alone. Lots of folks, experienced riders included, sort of balk at the notion of a tandem on real MTB trails. Tight switchbacks/maneuvering between obstacles and mandatory wheel lofts are the downfalls. Other than that, you can tandem down any trail you can ride on a single. You can actually descend steep terrain with less likelihood of an endo. The core workout is phenomenal. Wanna make single biking seem easy? Get hot on a tandem

Cheers,

Mike
    I'd like to see some dh on one of those!

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Plenty on YouTube.

"the big red train"
    Apr 2007
    Man I can't believe it the summer is over and its still well over 100 degrees here. The board here has been quiet all summer so I hope everybody has been doing some riding. I just wanted to post here to say hey to all our friends out there in tandemland.....we miss riding with you. Keep the rubber side down!
    Patrick & Maria

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    P+M,

Nice sentiment, thanks

We've been out of the game with the wife on assignment elsewhere. Our grandiose plans for this year are again waylaid, but no dampener on enthusiasm. I re-purposed one of the frame bags for my single full squish and rode the CO Trail in attempt to pacify the tandeming jones (admittedly close, but no cigar).

Hope to share some saddle time with you guys and any other fun-loving teams later this year or next. Thanks for the ping...crank on!

m&m

"the big red train"
    Apr 2007
    Hey all so cal tandems.......summers over and we have a sitter for Saturday the 17th. We're going to go ride, weather permitting. If you'd like to join we'd love to have you. We haven't decided where we are going yet. If you want to join and have an idea let me know.

Patrick & Maria

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Hey All,
    I just found this site specific to Tandems awesome... I live in San Fernando Valley area and am interested in putting together some Tandem Rides once a month or so.( MTB of Course and maybe some road if we have too lol?) If there are any Tandems or rides out there please throw your 2cents in.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Southern Cal Tandem Teams-img_0637.jpg  

"the big red train"
    Apr 2007
    Rene,
    We are down in OC, but know of a few tandems up your way. Where do you guys ride? We've been over to Sycamore canyon w/ Okayfine ( very fun couple to ride with) and also been to Chesebro but that was on a hot summer day ( not too fun). We have some trails down here if you ever like to go on a little road trip. Next Saturday we have a sitter so we're doing ride if you're interested.

Patrick & Maria
    Fullerton, CA

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Definitely... a big group Tandem ride would be great... I can travel anywhere in So Cal on the weekends...

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Team Zibell does group ride invites frequently (as shown above). We ride the Santa Monicas 99% of the time (when we don't travel to visit Team Zibell). Mostly Sycamore since we live close, but also Cheeseboro (but only in non-summer due to temps and lack of water and shade), with the occasional Backbone out-and-back.

I think most of the SoCal teams have ridden with Team Zibell, since they put out invites more than anyone else.

"the big red train"
    Apr 2007
    Rene, a big tandem group ride would be a blast. But life happens and it's a hard to get people together on a set time and place. We found that if we just put it out that we're doing a ride then whoever wants to join us does. The most tandems we had show was 3, counting us. No problem because we always have a blast.
    Thanks Julian for the nice words. Hope you and Sally are doing well.

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    Been lurking here for a while and thinking of getting a MTB tandem. We've been mountain biking since the mid 80's and riding a road tandem for 3yrs, so we thought we would like to give it a try off road.

Okay the deal is done, closed on a 2010 Ventana ECDM!!! Some highlights are; Sram XO code hyd discs front and rear, Fox Talas RC 36 150 mm fork, Sram X9 3x9 speed drive train. Should be delivered by Monday!

Thanks for all the good info and motovation to see this thru. Hope to meet with some of you soon for a tandem ride!

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Where in SoCal?

mtbr member
    Dec 2012

SoCal tandem

Quote Originally Posted by Okayfine View Post
    Where in SoCal?
    We're in south Orange County.

mtbr member
    Dec 2012

We the people ... First trail ride

There is a large group doing Blackstar and the Motorway at 0800 this Saturday the 22nd of Dec. If some other tandems are going we would join in (but not do the motorway part)other wise we will be riding the Bell Ridge Trail from the waterfalls at Dove Canyon in Rancho Santa Margarita to Caspers Park and back, approx 20 miles. We would love company if anyone wants to ride.

Posted some pics in the ECDM thread of the new ride. But here's another
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Southern Cal Tandem Teams-20121217_181514.jpg  

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by DonP. View Post
    There is a large group doing Blackstar and the Motorway at 0800 this Saturday the 22nd of Dec. If some other tandems are going we would join in (but not do the motorway part)other wise we will be riding the Bell Ridge Trail from the waterfalls at Dove Canyon in Rancho Santa Margarita to Caspers Park and back, approx 20 miles. We would love company if anyone wants to ride.

Posted some pics in the ECDM thread of the new ride. But here's another
    Nice ECDM, that is almost identical to ours. Can't join this weekend but we'll keep our eyes open for future rides. We have done Motorway a few times on the tandem, it is actually not a bad trail except the numerous water bars are a PITA. Just curious where you would come down if you didn't end up riding Motorway?

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by drdoak View Post
    Just curious where you would come down if you didn't end up riding Motorway?
    You could just turn around at the golf ball at Beaks Peak or continue on the main devide to Maple Springs and come out Silverado Canyon road and back to Black Star.

"the big red train"
    Apr 2007
    Don, thanks for the invite. We have to pass this time as we are heading to a family Christmas function on Saturday. I heard it may rain, I hope it holds off for you to get a ride in. Love the bike, very nice. Even if you don't have any takers at this time, go ahead and post future rides. We'd love to join you guys on a ride. Have fun.

Patrick & Maria
    Fullerton, CA

mtbr member
    Dec 2012

We the people ... First dirt ride on the Ventana

We decided to do the Bell View ridge trail from home with friends from our road club. Only about 12 miles on an out and back along the ridge but beautiful clear skys and mid 50 temps. Helped some other riders fix a chain on the way back and had to use 2 new pins to get him going. As luck would have it Ali snapped his chain near the end and had to push about a half mile!

Here's a pic of us enjoying the sunshine and catching our breath after the first steep climb of the day. Thats Ali on the left with his wife Helen and my wife Terri on the right. We were very impressed with the Ventanas ride and ability to absorb some big hits that we usually jump on our singles. I think we're going to like this!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Southern Cal Tandem Teams-bell-view-ridge-trail.jpg  

PMK
    mtbr member
    With backdrops like that, moving to Florida will be a culture shock! It's really flat. I mean almost pool table flat.

Looks inviting and fun. Glad you enjoy the new bike, off-road tandeming is so much fun. Possibly mountain bikings best kept secret.

PK
    Reps! We don't need no stickin' reps!

mtbr member
    Dec 2012

Idea! Trail ride

Quote Originally Posted by PMK View Post
    With backdrops like that, moving to Florida will be a culture shock! It's really flat. I mean almost pool table flat.

Looks inviting and fun. Glad you enjoy the new bike, off-road tandeming is so much fun. Possibly mountain bikings best kept secret.

PK
    We're going to run it again! This Wednesday JAN 2nd.

If anyone can get away we would love company

Meet between waterfalls at Plano Trabuco and Bell Canyon Dr in Rancho Santa Margarita at 9am Wednesday morning.
    Last edited by DonP.; 12-31-2012 at 01:52 PM. Reason: Change of date

mtbr member
    Dec 2012

Bell Ridge Trail to Caspers Park Jan 2nd

Looks like editing doesn't post as a new date entry so.....I'll make a new post.

We're going to run it again! Trail was still too muddy for the last attempt.

This Wednesday JAN 2nd.

If anyone can get away we would love company

Meet between the waterfalls at Plano Trabuco and Bell Canyon Dr in Rancho Santa

Margarita at 9AM Wednesday morning.

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    We will be riding Aliso Wood Canyon Saturday at 11:00 on the Ventana.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Thanks for the heads up... My Tandem is in pieces right now getting a new facelift, tuck, firmed up etc... Should be back on the dirt in a couple weeks...

Keep me posted

PMK
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by DonP. View Post
    We will be riding Aliso Wood Canyon Saturday at 11:00 on the Ventana.
    Have fun,

Wish we lived closer so we could ride there also.

PK
    Reps! We don't need no stickin' reps!

"the big red train"
    Apr 2007
    Hey Don, what route are you riding tomorrow? If I can get the team up for a ride Aliso sounds fun. We haven't been riding much lately and we will be towing a tag-a-long, so we may be a little slow. The route we ride starts at the ranger station and up the main trail to cholla and we exit the park and run thru the neighborhood to the top of cholla. From there we take the ridge up to top of the world. Then thru back thru the neighborhood to meadows and down and out.
    If you wouldn't mind a slow team to ride with we'd like to join.

Patrick & Maria
    Fullerton,CA

Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast