Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast
    Old School Legs
    My wife and I are starting to ride the tandem a little again.
    I'm going to mix some road rides in with the dirt rides to help get us back in riding shape.
    Somehow, we've become much older and slower...

Anyway, we're in the San Berdoo mtns, but we'll be riding down the hill for awhile.
    Rides like the paved SART, Crafton Hills, and Hulda Crooks.
    We're not big on early morning starts, more like mid-day starts.
    I'm eating Lean Cuisine for lunch, so I can have beer for dinner

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by JokerW View Post
    Somehow, we've become much older and slower...
    Thankfully you can do something about the "slower" part

Mike

Old school BMXer
    Yes, I know I've been absent from this thread. And we haven't ridden our tandem in a long time. Why? Newborn boy and girl twins last September. We look forward to when they're old enough and we can pull them around in a double stroller. Maybe when they're old enough, I'll build them a matching mini tandem.
    May the air be filled with tires!

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    All in good time, Lee. Way to prioritize.

Good to have your voice on the tandem boards.

Mike

"the big red train"
    Apr 2007
    Lee, congrats on the twins. I bet they are keeping you two very busy. You may need to build a special trailer wide enough to fit 2 car seats. We were lucky enough to have Adam in a car seat in a Burley @ 4 months, no problems, 5pt harenss on the car seat and 5pt harness on the Burley. The Loop is his now. We'll see you when we see you, best wishes.

Old school BMXer
    I'm still usually out on the loop at least once a week on my single bike, and my wife gets out every couple weeks. We trade off, which has been really nice. All things considered, the twins have been real easy (sleeping through the night since the second month).

I'll probably wait until they're at least 12 months or so before we start hitting the river trail. We'll be moving houses soon (same area), but I have to do a full remodel before we move in, so that may limit my riding time. I know it's going to be so much fun getting the kids out on the trail. I'm really looking forward to that. Maybe eventually, I'll build a quad mountain bike, like that white roadie quad often spotted around Fullerton.
    May the air be filled with tires!

"the big red train"
    Apr 2007
    Hey guys & gals, Maria & I have a sitter this coming Saturday the 21st for our son and are looking to get out and do a ride. If anybody would like to join us that would be great. A word of caution we haven't been riding much so we're kind of slow. Haven't yet picked a trail, we're open to suggestions. Our sitter shows up about 8am and we're in Fullerton so we can meet around 8:30ish. Hit us up and lets plan a fun ride.

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    zibell, we would be happy to meet up for something. Open to trails/areas. The Luge would be a hoot, not too long a day. We've not ridden Whiting or Sant. Oaks, so anything at either would be great. The beach areas are fun too. No problem with any pace

Mike/Moria

"the big red train"
    Apr 2007
    Hey Mike, how about we do the Oaks? Lets meet in lot #3 in Irvine Regional Park around 8:30. There are fun trails there. And if we get out early we should beat the heat. Let me know what you think?
    Patrick

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    Sounds like a winner, Patrick.

Looking at their map
    www.ocparks.com/uploadgraphics/lbirvbrocv8.pdf
    I'm guessing "P3" is where we meet.

I'll PM you my cel number.

Mike

"the big red train"
    Apr 2007
    Well, just sending it out one more time. Come out and ride with us (Patrick/Maria & Mike/Moria) at Santiago Oaks this Saturday @ 8:30. We are meeting in parking lot #3 in Irvine Regional Park. If you haven't had a chance to ride with other tandems, this is your chance. There is dirty fun to be had.

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    Hear hear, fun will be #1 on the agenda.

Woot!!

Mike

"the big red train"
    Apr 2007
    Thanks Mike & Moria for the fun ride today. Maria and I had a blast with you guys. Here are a couple of pictures that Maria took. Can't wait to ride with you guys again.
    Patrick & Maria
    Fullerton

p.s. If you feel like riding tomorrow we're riding the Fullerton loop. Hit us up.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Southern Cal Tandem Teams-spring-2012-349.jpg  

Southern Cal Tandem Teams-spring-2012-350.jpg  

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    Three cheers for Patrick and Maria!

It was a nice survey of a sweet area and super fun ride. Thanks for hosting!

We're off to Idy this AM; hold down the OC fort and we'll ride again. Cheers...

M/m

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    So we're doing our Sunday morning run to the beach and back. On our return, we come across another tandem! Very surprising, to say the least. We've heard of this team, they're based in Simi Valley, but this is the first time we've seen them out on it. They're leading another couple on single bikes, but that couple also has a tandem and are based in Big Bear. Too excited about seeing another tandem and two tandem teams, I forgot to get names of Team Big Bear. Anyone on here?

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Argh I should have not hit this forum you folks are killing me. We are currently in Simi now too. The tandem is "on blocks" for service while my wife is carrying our first child. It is amazing how much I miss having her to ride with. The great thing is how much she misses riding too; already planning a trip down the coast when the baby is about 8 months old (we will see on that one).

Anyways have fun on the tandems it really is a special opportunity to enjoy cycling together.

"the big red train"
    Apr 2007
    Hey tandem people, we've got a sitter again for this Saturday the 19th. So we're heading out for another ride and checking the boards to see if anyone wants to join us? We're open to suggestions, Santiago Oaks is always fun. We can leave Fullerton around 8:00am when our sitter arrives and meet wherever. Its time to get out and ride!
    Patrick & Maria

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    Wish we could hook up with the Big Red Train, Patrick, but my stoker is away for a spell and I have a few balls in the air 'til June. I hope you get a good crew out or have a sweet time alone/together

Yo, please note: Patrick and Maria are super fun to ride with! They crank hard, have skills and are very easy-going. Couldn't imagine a nicer couple to ride with.

Thanks for the call...have fun!

M (+m)

"the big red train"
    Apr 2007
    Mike, Thanks for the nice reply. When you and Moria are able to ride again let us know we'd love to join you two on another ride.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    We only really have time for a local 7:30 ride...and we didn't even get out last weekend. School's out in June, however.

"the big red train"
    Apr 2007
    Well, the sitter just called and canceled for this Saturday so we won't be riding Santiago Oaks. We are thinking about still doing a ride. Towing Adam and doing something like Peters Canyon, Turnbull Canyon, or Bonelli, maybe Aliso. If anybody wants to join us you're welcome to join we'll just be slow towing a tag-a-long.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    OMG, when I saw the forum's title, I thought it was a joke until I saw this picture. How the hell do you guys mountain bike on a tandem bike!? The turns, bumps, climbs!

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Teamwork.

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by balldoc54 View Post
    OMG, when I saw the forum's title, I thought it was a joke until I saw this picture. How the hell do you guys mountain bike on a tandem bike!? The turns, bumps, climbs!
    Don't feel alone. Lots of folks, experienced riders included, sort of balk at the notion of a tandem on real MTB trails. Tight switchbacks/maneuvering between obstacles and mandatory wheel lofts are the downfalls. Other than that, you can tandem down any trail you can ride on a single. You can actually descend steep terrain with less likelihood of an endo. The core workout is phenomenal. Wanna make single biking seem easy? Get hot on a tandem

Cheers,

Mike

Old School Legs
    I'll add:

You may think you know how to ride a bike, and then you try a tandem.
    It's kind of like learning to ride all over again...
    I'm eating Lean Cuisine for lunch, so I can have beer for dinner

Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast