Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast
    "the big red train"
    Apr 2007
    Bill, we're running a 20t front with a 36t rear so we can tow our little guy up the trails we ride. Thats the lowest I could find.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by zibell View Post
    Bill, we're running a 20t front with a 36t rear so we can tow our little guy up the trails we ride. Thats the lowest I could find.
    You guys have given me new hope. I'm running a 22/34 and I thought that was the lowest gear possible. I ordered a 12-36 9spd cassette, and now I'm going to look for a 20t chainring. Man that's a serious low gear. I can't wait to try to make it up some of the climbs that relegate us to walking.

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    Hey, troops, we are back on our bikes, and digging the cool weather and trail conditions. We got tandem runs on Mentally Sensitive, Car Wreck and Gridley Trail, so we're feeling reasonable. We'll be bikepacking in the Santa Anas this WE (go ahead, snicker), but after that are mostly free next week and WE. Holler if you want to hook up for some fun in or around OC...no criteria other than having fun.

Mike and The Weasel

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    I know this is really late notice but Jeff's team and my team will be riding Santiago Oaks tomorrow (1-2-12) at 9:00 We will park at school located at Knoll Ranch and Serrano.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010

Once a month ride

Ok guys, after today's ride with Tim (not Jeff) and Hope. We have decided to try and organize a once a month ride with the Big Bikes as Tim calls them. So we don't have to wait, the last Sun. Of this month is projected and then every last Sun. As we get closer we can discuss location. Let us know who is in? Anywhere in So.Cal.

"the big red train"
    Apr 2007
    Hey Bill, how did the ride go today? Keep us informed on the last Sunday rides. If they aren't too hard we'll show up with our son in tow. We have a sitter set up for the 3rd Saturday of the month so we'll have our son on his trail-a-bike for the last Sunday.

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    Thanks for the call for teams. Look fwd to joining up next time.

Mike

mtbr member
    So that would be Sunday the 29th for January? We are definitely interested and available.

Jeff & Katie (Redlands)

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Let's start throwing out locations so we can all plan. To make things smooth,somebody has to know the trail,so our kids in tow riders can decide. Should be fun!!

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Had a chance to ride the big bike the last few weekends at CHSP. We went late in the day and the trails were pretty empty. Just a couple of hikers. Temps have been real good too. The significant other had to work so I took a longtime riding buddy out. He giggled like a school girl during the ride. It was very funny. His first times on a mtn tandem.

It was interesting and a bit different. Fun none the less.

Anyone interested in, or have done the Full Moon night mtn bike rides organized by Rock and Road Cyclery? Only problem I see is they are on a school night and start late 7:30pm. Look like fun though.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Ok, so tomorrow is the last Sunday of the month and I haven't heard anything about any of the SoCal Tandem's getting together for a ride! So Hope and I are planning on riding the Fullerton Loop at about 8:30 tomorrow and would love to ride with other teams.
    If anyone wants to do a little riding tomorrow, we'll be in the upper parking lot of the court house at 8:30.

"the big red train"
    Apr 2007
    Tim, we're just getting home from a party but we'll be ready to meet you and Hope at the Loop tomorrow morning. Thanks for posting this up.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Sorry about this last minute reply. This week has been a hectic one, my 86yr mom fell and broke her hip so we won't be able to hook up.

"the big red train"
    Apr 2007
    Thanks to Tim & Hope for getting us home safe. Wow what a ride. We did have fun, because on the tandem no matter what you do it together. This ride was just a comedy of flat tires. First off Tim & Hope had a flat and their spare was flat. We gave them our spare tube and all was good and we had a great ride.......until......we flatted comming down Morman hill. I tried to patch it but it didn't hold. Thats when Tim & Hope rode back to their truck and came back to pick us up. I must say after all the was said and done we still had a fun ride. You know what....even a bad day on the bike is still better then the best day at work.
    Thats why we were talking about next Sunday hitting up Bonelli for a morning tandem ride. Anyone wanting to join us, the more the merrrier.

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    Thanks for the holler, sounds like it worked out. "even a bad day on the bike is still better then the best day at work" ...roger!

We were a little off this weekend but made some afternoon trail time. Looking good for this weekend; would love to meet up with y'all. Happy week...

Mike

"the big red train"
    Apr 2007
    Just throwing it out there...anybody interested in riding this Sunday (2/5) we are planning to ride Bonelli Park in San Dimas. We'll meet at the park and ride lot at the 210 freeway and Via Verde exit (the lot is west of the freeway). We'll be there @ 8:30-8:45 if anybody would like to join us. Any questions let me know.
    Patrick

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    Hey, Patrick we're committed to a rest day Sunday; will be riding Holy Jim out/back from the TH near the fire station at about 9am tomorrow and ? on Monday. Anybody who wants to dismount numerous switchbacks is welcome to join us

m&m

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Hey Patrick, Hope and I will be riding with you and Maria on Sunday. Hope to have some other teams show up as well.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    asd

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Hey MTBR, why bother with the 10-post requirement (or whatever it is) when that just forces noobs to post nonsense to reach the marker?

And here I thought we had a new shooter in SoCal...

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    Hey gang,

Doug "dirtvert" is having a Cholla-thon at Aliso Woods, Sunday AM at the bottom of the trail starting 8:15-8:30am. I thought it would be fun to see if we can survive some laps while doing something good for Project Rwanda and IMBA.

If any other big bikes were inclined to show up, it would be pretty nutty. Anyway, we'll be there.

Happy trails wherever!

Mike

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    Hey gang,

Doug "dirtvert" is having a Cholla-thon at Aliso Woods, Sunday AM at the bottom of the trail starting 8:15-8:30. I thought it would be fun to see if we can survive some laps while doing something good for Project Rwanda and IMBA.

Rides & Things

If any other big bikes were inclined to show up, it would be pretty nutty. Anyway, we'll be there.

Happy trails wherever!

Mike

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    My wife and I don't ride our tandem much, but it would be fun to ride with other tandems sometime. The last Sunday of each month sounds like a good idea. We're in Redlands, but are usually pretty free on Sundays to drive somewhere.

Jeff

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    Howdy, Jeff,

We haven't gotten together yet with the other SoCal suspects, but I'll throw out a greeting to you and yours anyway. Hope to catch up with you guys for a ride soon

Cheers,

Mike (& Moria)

PS: Hey, last Sunday of the month is this weekend...we could do either day of the weekend as it looks. Holler with your pleasure, anyone.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    We're stuck locally until summer due to workload. We have great trails close to us, but here in Newbury Park we're pretty far from everyone else.

Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast