Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Southern Cal Tandem Teams

41K views 258 replies 30 participants last post by  unikid28 
#1 ·
We are about 2 months on our new ECDM and loving it. How about getting a So.Cal.ride going? We were riding Chino Hills today and saw another team for the first time up there. We ride there about 3-4 times a week in Chino Hills. Need a break, to go somewhere else. Who was up there today? Love to hook up....

#82 ·
We tend to find ourselves riding up Harding and Modjeska more than the other trails when riding the big bike. Chino north ridge to 4-corners and back out the main cyn weekdays after work is a common summer time sunset quick ride. We park out on Rose and ride over the dam and through the park proper as a warm up. Hardley ever see any other big bikes on any trails. Seen maybe 2 others in the past years. Good to know you folks are out there. We live only 3 minues from Santiago Oaks according to my Garmin when going home (downhill) from the park. For whatever reason we only have ridden singles at Santiago Oaks. Maybe we will run into some of you out on the trails. Keep on getting out there! Lots of tandem road riding as of late. Hopefully back to the dirt soon.

#83 ·
My wife and I just rode (most of) the Ride in the Rocks, in Lucerne Valley Saturday.
We suffered three rear flats, and only had two spare tubes.
Most of course was doable, save for a couple of tight, sandy single track sections, and the really deep sand in the middle of the longest climb.
The rocky sections were very rideable, and the ol' KHS has never worked better, until the flats.
Guess I'd better up the technology to include tubeless in the rear to try and avoid pinching tubes.

We'd love to meet up with some other twosomes.
We're in the San Bernardino mtns.

#84 ·
Hi Joker,

Careful with the tubeless setup on the tandem. I ran tubeless on our tandem for a couple months with no issues until I was coming down Mathis one day and when over a sharp water bar (like a curb) at slow speed. It pulled my front tire's bead away from the rim and burped all the air. We went down but since we were going slow we didn't get any injuries (other than my pride and my stoker's confidence in me). I went back to tubes for the tandem and Stan's for my singles. You mileage may vary but it wasn't worth another incident for me.

#85 ·
We went down but since we were going slow we didn't get any injuries (other than my pride and my stoker's confidence in me)
Been there... only with injuries to both of us. Took quite awhile to get my wife back on the bike.
She used to use toe clip pedals, and now I have her running flat DH pedals. Took her a little while to not "slip" them, but she really likes that she can get away from the bike if she needs to.

Funny thing on the tires, our front is actually a 2.4 UST with a tube. I think the stronger sidewalls are really a benefit, even though it is a heavier tire. I'd like to put a nice fat something in the rear, but the seatstays keep me limited. We are currently using a 2.2 non UST, but I'm still pondering other ideas. I've even considered "denting" the seat tubes to add some clearance for a fatter/taller stronger sidewall tire. That will be a "last resort" option though.

Thanks for warning on tubeless burping. Tandems sure test the limits of equipment, eh?

#86 ·
Mike,
When your ready to ride let us know and we'll see if we can meet you. As we have a 5yr old we need to set up a sitter for him or ride not too tech stuff as we would be pulling a tag-a-long. I think at this time we have a sitter for the 19th of November and maybe we can show you around Santiago Oaks or something? Its always fun riding with other tandems.
Patrick

#88 ·
Stevoo,

We ride Chino 3 days a week but mostly weekdays in the mornings. We live very close to Rose and the dam. Let us know next time time you get out this way...I think we met She&I in Chino last Sun...Great to see other team...

Also, we still want to hook up for the Oaks ride. Need practice on the switchbacks.

#89 ·
Teamburney,
That would be great. Have not been riding the mtn tandem in a while just the road tandem as we were training for the Furnace Creek 508. Now that the 508 is over (it went great by the way) maybe we will get back on the mtn tandem. Short winter days and back to std time spells the end of weekday after work Chino rides. I believe they frown on night riding there. Please correct me if I am mistaken. I will see if I can remember to ping you should we find ourselves headed to Chino on some weekend. It would be fun to ride w another tandem.

#90 ·
If the weather is nice next Saturday (Nov.19th) we plan on riding Santiago Oaks again. If there is anybody that wants to join, the more the merrier. Big bikes are a blast at the Oaks. We meet at Irvine Regional Park around 8:30-8:45 in parking lot #3. Total switchback fun, if you ain't going up, you're bombing down.

#95 ·
Bill, we're still planning on being there tomorrow morning. You're right it looks like the weather may hold out long enough for us to get a ride in, just need to bring the long sleeves. We have our sitter coming by our house @ 8:00 then we'll leave. Thats why I say we'll be there 8:30-8:45ish. Parking lot #3, see you tomorrow. We may have a couple of singles join us also, just to show them what big bikes can do. I rode there Wednesday and the trails are in primo condition.

#98 ·
Bill and Nancy, thanks for coming out and riding with us. We had a fun time, and the burgers and beers post ride were not bad either. You guys did good for your first ride at the Oaks. That place is not an easy place for big bikes with all the switchbacks. You're either riding up or down and the little rain at the begining of the ride got a couple of the trails a little slick. I downloaded the video I shot of us riding down Chutes Ridgeline but the angle of the camera only got my front tire and a couple of feet in front of it, not the best. I guess we need to go back and try again.

#100 ·
Not Patrick, but FWIW, often if you can fit a 22, you can get a 20 on it.

Hoping I don't make fool of myself in regards to a Davinchi or some form of 4 bolt cranks that won't take a 20.

20/36 with a 26" wheel is some serious climbing gears...We need to come trash our sea level flat terrain legs.

PK

#102 ·
You guys have given me new hope. I'm running a 22/34 and I thought that was the lowest gear possible. I ordered a 12-36 9spd cassette, and now I'm going to look for a 20t chainring. Man that's a serious low gear. I can't wait to try to make it up some of the climbs that relegate us to walking.

#103 ·
Hey, troops, we are back on our bikes, and digging the cool weather and trail conditions. We got tandem runs on Mentally Sensitive, Car Wreck and Gridley Trail, so we're feeling reasonable. We'll be bikepacking in the Santa Anas this WE (go ahead, snicker), but after that are mostly free next week and WE. Holler if you want to hook up for some fun in or around OC...no criteria other than having fun.

:):)
Mike and The Weasel

#105 ·
Once a month ride

Ok guys, after today's ride with Tim (not Jeff) and Hope. We have decided to try and organize a once a month ride with the Big Bikes as Tim calls them. So we don't have to wait, the last Sun. Of this month is projected and then every last Sun. As we get closer we can discuss location. Let us know who is in? Anywhere in So.Cal.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.