Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast
    "the big red train"
    Apr 2007
    What a fun time Saturday. This month we had 3 tandems together for a ride around Santiago Oaks. It started with a full parking lot #3 but there were other lots close by and we all met up at lot #4. Tim & Hope on the Cannondale and Paul & Lisa on their Ventana ECDM along with Maria and I all had a fun time. Special props go out to Tim for his first ride back from a broken collarbone and 2 sprained wrists, great job Tim & Hope! Then we also had Paul & Lisa (team Sho-Air), "we like riding up the 3 B's", you 2 rock. The weather was nice and the trails were in great shape. The ride down Chutes ridgeline was a blast. The camera however, was left sitting on the kitchen counter( sorry no pictures). Maria and I are trying to get our schedule for next months sitter and then I'll post something for next month. We hope to see you next month.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004

Tandems Invade Santiago Oaks

Big thanks for Patrick for setting the ride up. Having three tandems out in force was very cool. The ride coincided with the Poker ride so we received no shortage of surprised comments about what an MTB Tandem can do.

The Zirbell team opened our eyes to what's possible on the tandem too. Gave us the confidence to try a few things that we never would have otherwise. The Chutes downhill was a blast. Couldn't get the smile off my face all weekend. My stoker wants to go back and ride it again. Made more switchbacks than before but we still have a long way to go to equal the Zirbell teams switchback riding ability. I think I'll leave the log riding to you guys though.

Great job to Tim and Hope on doing that ride with no rear suspension, climbing without being clipped in (Hope), and Tim for recovering from injuries. You two kept up a good pace on a difficult route.

It was a great time. We look forward to doing it again. Maybe we'll break the record of 3 tandem teams next time.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Can't wait to join in. Keep us posted

"the big red train"
    Apr 2007
    Sorry for the late post, but we have got a sitter for our son lined up for Saturday the 16th and we're wondering if anybody wants to get together for a tandem ride? Santiago Oaks is out as they are having a race there that day. We were thinking maybe Aliso or even Whiting-Mojeska-the Luge? Let me know, we're open to where ever, just trying to keep it local in OC area.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    405 is closed that weekend, so we probably won't be able to get anywhere near OC.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Hi Zirbell, 10 days is quite sufficient notice. However, we won't be able to make that day since I'll be in Santiago Oaks attending the inaugural Okole Stuff Cup Mountain Bike Race.

I'll be on the single that day wishing I had another pair of legs to propel me up the climbs. Have a great time on the MTB tandems. We'll try to join in on the next ride.

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by zibell View Post
    Sorry for the late post, but we have got a sitter for our son lined up for Saturday the 16th and we're wondering if anybody wants to get together for a tandem ride? Santiago Oaks is out as they are having a race there that day. We were thinking maybe Aliso or even Whiting-Mojeska-the Luge? Let me know, we're open to where ever, just trying to keep it local in OC area.
    Hi - looks like we'd be available the 16th for a ride. My vote would be Whiting-Mojeska-Luge. Have never been to Whiting and the Luge is a blast on a single, should be great on a tandem as well. I'm off work that morning at 7:00AM so we should be able to make an 8:00AM start or later. Thanks!

Jeff & Katie
    Redlands

"the big red train"
    Apr 2007
    Hi Jeff, Whiting-Mojeska-Luge sounds great. Our sitter shows up @ 8:00am so we should be at Whiting about 8:30-8:45. The parking lot @ Whiting is on Portola Pkwy and is small, we have also parked across the street in the parking lot by McDonalds.

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    Hi Jeff, Whiting-Mojeska-Luge sounds great. Our sitter shows up @ 8:00am so we should be at Whiting about 8:30-8:45. The parking lot @ Whiting is on Portola Pkwy and is small, we have also parked across the street in the parking lot by McDonalds.
    Sounds good! We'll be there around 8:30, either at the parking lot at Portola or at the McDonalds if full. I'll PM you my cell #. What's the approximate mileage/climbing/time just so we can plan food? Thanks and see you Saturday, I'll post on STR to see if we can pick up a couple more tandems.

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    Thanks Patrick and Maria, fun times! Looking forward to the next ride.

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/99867148

"the big red train"
    Apr 2007
    Thanks Jeff, you and Katie tore up that ride. Great job. The margaritas were pretty good also. Maybe next time we can take you guys back to Santiago Oaks.

"the big red train"
    Apr 2007
    We just spoke with the sitter and have August 20th on the calender. We're going to be having a Birthday ride for Maria as she is turning ? So, Saturday August 20th tandem group ride. I'm thinking maybe back to Santiago Oaks, or Aliso Woods, or maybe El Moro? What do you guys think?
    We're heading up to Mammoth the 1st week in August so I won't be able to reply until after we get home.

Enjoy the ride
    If the rain lets up....we'll be out there at 130 today (peters oaks irvine)
    ~live vicariously through yourself~

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    We're in Keep us posted on location and time.

"the big red train"
    Apr 2007
    We just got back from Mammoth and had a blast. One of the guys in the village at the bike park ticket sales told us we couldn't ride a tandem in Mammoth as the trails were not rideable on a tandem. Well we showed them, we rode some green(easy) and blue(more difficult) trails towing our son on his trail-a-bike and rode some black diamond trails minus our son......can't ride Mammoth? Our son tore up Mammoth!
    Julian, do you want to go back to Santiago Oaks @ IRP or would you like to try something else?

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    Bravo, zibell. Not too big for the gondola? Cool.

I had some betty give us the same speil..."these trails are made for full suspension mountain bikes, blahblah..." Sounds like some perception issues we can collectively work on

Next month I'll have a stoker and will hit you guys up for some trailage if you'll have us. We're in HB. Cheers...

Mike

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    IRP was fun. If you've got something else that's as much fun, we're totally open.

Anyone else planning on Saturday?

"the big red train"
    Apr 2007
    Julian, I haven't heard of anyone else that has said they want to join in so how about Irvine Regional Park @ 8:30-8:45 @ at the same lot #3. Santiago Oaks was such a blast with you guys last time.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Done and done. We got a bigger pack with bigger bladder just for another IRP run.

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    ok must ask how tough is Oaks/IRP on a scale of 1-10
    I am just getting back into riding after a few years off the bike and for the most time I ride with my 10 year old as my Stoker on a Hard Tail C-Dale with No Fork..........

Old School Legs
    on a Hard Tail C-Dale with No Fork
    what happened with the Judy?
    I'm eating Lean Cuisine for lunch, so I can have beer for dinner

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Tough to say without having a common trail to compare. IRP is either climbing or decending, but the climbs aren't bad, and there's only two brief "downhill" sections of note. LOTS of switchbacks, but they're generally wide enough to be no issue on a tandem - but they will give you lots of practice. Very much an XC type of trail system. Lots of single riders to cheer tandems they've never seen before.

Main downside in summer is that there's very little shade.

"the big red train"
    Apr 2007
    XCMike, I'd say its probably a 100 on a scale of 1-10. I mean riding a wheelee up and down those switchbacks on a tandem with no fork would be tough even on a level street.
    No really we rode a couple of months ago with Tim and Hope on there C'dale hardtale with front suspension and they did great. On a scale of 1-10 I'd say maybe a 7. Its all rideable but as Julian mentioned it all either up or down and summer sun will wilt you with no shade. Most of the switchbacks are wide enough for a tandem but there are a couple that are tight.

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by JokerW View Post
    what happened with the Judy?
    I was just looking for something on the cheap side if not I will wait till tax time and do it right with wheels and disc

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Okayfine View Post
    Tough to say without having a common trail to compare. IRP is either climbing or decending, but the climbs aren't bad, and there's only two brief "downhill" sections of note. LOTS of switchbacks, but they're generally wide enough to be no issue on a tandem - but they will give you lots of practice. Very much an XC type of trail system. Lots of single riders to cheer tandems they've never seen before.

Main downside in summer is that there's very little shade.
    XCMike, I'd say its probably a 100 on a scale of 1-10. I mean riding a wheelee up and down those switchbacks on a tandem with no fork would be tough even on a level street.
    No really we rode a couple of months ago with Tim and Hope on there C'dale hardtale with front suspension and they did great. On a scale of 1-10 I'd say maybe a 7. Its all rideable but as Julian mentioned it all either up or down and summer sun will wilt you with no shade. Most of the switchbacks are wide enough for a tandem but there are a couple that are tight.
    Sounds good Guys
    I need to get my team around the full 12 mile Fully Loop before I think we will be ready.
    We did the half loop last week and my little one really surprised me

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast