PMK
    mtbr member

Some good training info

Yes we and I know others ride both off-road and road tandems.

Jeanne and I are pretty much constantly wearing a heart rate monitor during all road rides. Most but not all off-road rides have us wear the electronics.

I have never been a pro athlete and at my age might have a last chance at pro shuffleboard or checkers. Still I realize for us the benefit of using a HRM.

So, since I know better than suffer the wrath of the roadie tandemists on Bikeforums.net, (well actually I do play with fire and sometimes stick my fingers into the cage, they don't scare me), I thought I would share this short article on using a HRM from Aldon Baker.

Never attended or seen posted how this compares to Carmichael Training or others. Just of the opinion if it works for some very conditioned racers it may help us too.

I read through it and used it as a reminder to stuff I already utilized training wise, other things like the current way to generalize HRmax was good also for discussions.

Hope it helps.

Heart Rate Training - Racer X Virtual Trainer

PK
    Reps! We don't need no stickin' reps!

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Thanks for the article Paul. We too train on the tandem with HR and over the winter we use Power taps and HR on the trainers. We find power to be more accurate for the shorter efforts(intervals, sprints and such) and HR better for the longer, sustaiined rides. Both supply some interesting gauges on exactly how hard the effort really is.
    Ed and Pat Gifford
    the Snot Rocket tandem
    and Co-Mo Java on the road

Professional Crastinator
    Not to discount the value of good data - and, actually, maybe to support the value of good data - I tracked my HR and climbing rate (vertical ft./minute) for a whole year, from training with a mag trainer in the basement in the Winter to road trips to GA. It basically told me what I already knew: If I have any sort of normal cadence (100+/-) and I'm in a certain gear, I know my power output. The fact that I know for sure now, though, is very useful. That is, that what I am feeling is actually true in a numerical sense. My training is not so structured, though, so I only use cadence, gear, and speed any more. If I am on a familiar hill and one or two gears down, then I know I'm tired or less fit, depending on whether it's early in the ride or later. That lets me know what sort of training will help me later.
    It helps knowing the relative gear inches on whatever bike I am riding. Then I can do the math (in very round numbers) in my head.

-F