Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Sep 2004

The Official Cannondale Thread

Ok Guys it's time for a Cannondale Thread as you Guys know I just got my first tandem and
    most of you started on a Cannondale and now I see why.............
    For a new Team looking to join the tandem family like myself this would be a great place for anyone doing a search on the C-Dale.
    Feel free to post any links you might have about the C-Dale I found a few when doing my homework also post any pictures you have of your New / Old Rig
    Years & Build Info would be great.

Vintage Cannondale - Information and Catalogs for Cannondales

Cannondale Bicycle Corp. - MT800

Here is my 1999 MT800 still looking to do a fork, wheels and disc at the end of the year
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails The Official Cannondale Thread-dscn5199.jpg  

The Official Cannondale Thread-dscn5201.jpg  

PMK
    mtbr member
    Yes, we started on a Cannondale, a 1998 MT3000 that spent the majority of its life as wall decor in a Miami Beach home. Seriously, I believe it was bought as decor.

Our second Cannondale was a later style frame, 2001 MT800, built for xc work.

I have some photos on the other computer I'll add here.

There also some topics about these bikes if folks search when needed.

PK
    Reps! We don't need no stickin' reps!

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    Thanks PK
    I must say that you also helped me a great deal when I first started looking.
    Please if you can post the links that would be great for the any new comers to the sport and any pic's you have of your C-Dales

ADV
    mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    If all goes well tomorrow I will join the cannondale tandem club. Going to check out a MT1000.

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by ADV View Post
    If all goes well tomorrow I will join the cannondale tandem club. Going to check out a MT1000.
    Any Luck?

ADV
    mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Yes I now have a MT1000 I got to take a picture of it yet.

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    Yes I now have a MT1000 I got to take a picture of it yet.
    Sweet looking forward to the Pics

ADV
    mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    After riding it a bit I think a bit smaller frame would have been a better choice but i got a good deal so i will make it work.

PMK
    mtbr member
    What year is your MT1000? What size bike and how large are the riders?

PK

ADV
    mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    The MT1000 is a 1998 and the frame size is captain 20"/stoker 18" I was told its a large medium when I bought it. This is a bike that me and my wife will use as well as my mom and dad me and my dad are both about 5'8" and my wife and mom are around 5'4". The problem we are having and I did not realize this is my mom can not lift her leg high enough to get it over the top tube to get on we have to lay the bike on the ground and have her step over it to get on. It would be nice to have something that is easier for her. So if we could find a 18-16 it would be better.

PMK
    mtbr member
    The MT1000 is a 1998 and the frame size is captain 20"/stoker 18" I was told its a large medium when I bought it. This is a bike that me and my wife will use as well as my mom and dad me and my dad are both about 5'8" and my wife and mom are around 5'4". The problem we are having and I did not realize this is my mom can not lift her leg high enough to get it over the top tube to get on we have to lay the bike on the ground and have her step over it to get on. It would be nice to have something that is easier for her. So if we could find a 18-16 it would be better.
    Just a FWIW, yes the slightly smaller frame would be better. However, not by much, probably just over an inch in the back. This is if you were to find a 20x16 (Lg/Sm).

At 5'8", you may like the 18 front / 16 rear, (Md/Sm), but will probably find it tight with time. Early Cannondales, up to 1998 ran small. Not even certain you would get 2" of lower frame with the smaller bike.

The links to the old catalogs will give standover dimensions, they should be a good guide.

Leaning the bike to allow the stoker to get on is fine. You need to accomplish what works best. As an alternative, have you tried a technique where the captain gets on, straddles and may even sit on the toptube to steady the bike while holding the brakes. Then let the stoker climbs on where they use the pedal lowered to the bottom as a step and then swing a leg to the other side.

Unless you paid too much, you should be able to sell that bike as it is a preferred size. The Md/Sm are sort of common, but like anything they run in spurts. Often the Md/Sm bikes are being resold because they are to small for many teams.

PK

ADV
    mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Well to solve the problem my mom has getting on they have decided to get a totally different tandem with more of a step through rear. With that being said I bought the MT1000 from them so now my wife and I own the bike we have no problems and could not be happier with it. Now I just have to get it set up looking for riser bars maybe a fork and we will be looking for a child stoker kit in the future our daughter is only 14 months right now.

I just have to get my custom tandem roof rack tray done so I can haul it around.

ADV
    mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Here it is the cannondale MT1000. I finally got my roof rack done so I could bring it home and get a picture.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails The Official Cannondale Thread-dsc02659.jpg  

my dog's Frisbee launcher

two years off

This is what we were running out here in Prescott AZ....But she has been setting around getting dusty for far to long, I fell from a ladder a couple years back broke some ribs in my back and collapsed a lung...still having pain in my back.
    but after seeing this thread I gave the Cannondale a wash and a tuneup and took Christi's granddaughter for a ride....I think she liked it

Cheers all, and thanks for what is sure it be an awesome thread

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails The Official Cannondale Thread-picture-118.jpg  

Darwin was an Optimist

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    Here it is the cannondale MT1000. I finally got my roof rack done so I could bring it home and get a picture.
    Sweet Thanks for posting your Rig ADV

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by befoot View Post
    This is what we were running out here in Prescott AZ....But she has been setting around getting dusty for far to long, I fell from a ladder a couple years back broke some ribs in my back and collapsed a lung...still having pain in my back.
    but after seeing this thread I gave the Cannondale a wash and a tuneup and took Christi's granddaughter for a ride....I think she liked it

Cheers all, and thanks for what is sure it be an awesome thread

Wow I like it in Yellow is that just black tape holding down the brake lines or ??
    The first time my Rig went offroad I did hear lots of slap from the cable on the top tube I need to do something about that...........

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    I have been searching for a XC style tandem in the NCarolina area. It is nearly impossible though.

Professional Crastinator
    Quote Originally Posted by jspoon12 View Post
    I have been searching for a XC style tandem in the NCarolina area. It is nearly impossible though.
    Cue the commercial for MTBTandems.com

You're welcome!

-F

Quote Originally Posted by XC Mike View Post
    Wow I like it in Yellow is that just black tape holding down the brake lines or ??
    The first time my Rig went offroad I did hear lots of slap from the cable on the top tube I need to do something about that...........
    Yes Mike that's black tape, Christi's knee brace keep catching the cable so I taped them down
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails The Official Cannondale Thread-picture-120.jpg  

Darwin was an Optimist

Here's some more photos...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails The Official Cannondale Thread-dscn0331.jpg  

The Official Cannondale Thread-dscn0307.jpg  

The Official Cannondale Thread-dscn0411.jpg  

The Official Cannondale Thread-dscn0403.jpg  

The Official Cannondale Thread-copy-dscn0140.jpg  

Darwin was an Optimist

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by befoot View Post
    Yes Mike that's black tape, Christi's knee brace keep catching the cable so I taped them down
    Sounds Good I dig that shot in the snow

Long Live Long Rides
    May 2008

Our 1999 Cannondale MT 3000

Wow! Getting this post done has been a great trip down memory lane! We got our C'dale in 2001 and rode it everywhere we could: Crested Butte, Moab, Fruita, Boulder, Kansas, Brian Head UT, and anywhere else that people said we couldn't In 2005 we upgraded to disc brakes/wheels, but other than that the bike was pretty stock. In late 2006 we got a Ventana full-sus and the Cannondale went to our in-laws so they could try it. Then after they bought two new tandems, we got it back just in time to convert it to a kid-tandem which we use for commuting and moderate singletrack (Fruita, some Moab). Man, this bike has been around! It still has the original drivetrain, except chain, and it still runs great.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails The Official Cannondale Thread-tan.jpg  

The Official Cannondale Thread-pc270044.jpg  

The Official Cannondale Thread-p9070013.jpg  

The Official Cannondale Thread-p9050080.jpg  

The Official Cannondale Thread-p1010044.jpg  

Attached Images Attached Images  

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    Sweet pic's Trails Thanks for keeping this tread alive...........

ADV
    mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Give me forty acres and I'll turn this rig around It's the easiest way that I've found
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails The Official Cannondale Thread-dsc02705.jpg  

PMK
    mtbr member
    Give me forty acres and I'll turn this rig around It's the easiest way that I've found
    Couple of questions...We have the same Burley Solo trailer for our Granddaughter. Are you using yours on those trails I see behind you or are you primarily just on paved surfaces?

If you do use the trailer on those trails, of course riding well within the limits of pulling an occupied trailer, any idea how rough the ride is for the kid?

Thanks

PK

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast