Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

The Official Cannondale Thread

47K views 116 replies 31 participants last post by  amsherriff 
#1 ·
Ok Guys it's time for a Cannondale Thread as you Guys know I just got my first tandem and
most of you started on a Cannondale and now I see why.............:thumbsup:
For a new Team looking to join the tandem family like myself this would be a great place for anyone doing a search on the C-Dale.
Feel free to post any links you might have about the C-Dale I found a few when doing my homework also post any pictures you have of your New / Old Rig
Years & Build Info would be great.

Vintage Cannondale - Information and Catalogs for Cannondales

Cannondale Bicycle Corp. - MT800

Here is my 1999 MT800 still looking to do a fork, wheels and disc at the end of the year

Attachments

See less See more
#37 ·
Mt 3000 update

Here's the latest version of our MT 3000. It now serves as commuter and off-road monster for our 6-year-old. He got big/strong enough for us to lose the seat back and seat belt. We got a new fork and brakes. And the big improvement is that I made some toddler size 13 bike shoes with crank bros cleats. We can now also use a suspension post to help smooth out the surprises.

Attachments

#38 ·
Here's the latest version of our MT 3000. It now serves as commuter and off-road monster for our 6-year-old. He got big/strong enough for us to lose the seat back and seat belt. We got a new fork and brakes. And the big improvement is that I made some toddler size 13 bike shoes with crank bros cleats. We can now also use a suspension post to help smooth out the surprises.
Efforts gets results. He wanted it, you wanted it, now the results are easily way more than each individual ever imagined. Obviously guessing but pretty certain I'm not wrong.

That is awesome.

PK

#86 ·
Even short, that is still a lot of fork for the late model Cannondale. When you ride an ECDM, 26 or 29, the steering will be so light it will feel like power steering.

If you do buy an ECDM 29, personally, I would rework the fork to fit the 29 wheel.

PK

#2 ·
Yes, we started on a Cannondale, a 1998 MT3000 that spent the majority of its life as wall decor in a Miami Beach home. Seriously, I believe it was bought as decor.

Our second Cannondale was a later style frame, 2001 MT800, built for xc work.

I have some photos on the other computer I'll add here.

There also some topics about these bikes if folks search when needed.

PK

#10 ·
The MT1000 is a 1998 and the frame size is captain 20"/stoker 18" I was told its a large medium when I bought it. This is a bike that me and my wife will use as well as my mom and dad me and my dad are both about 5'8" and my wife and mom are around 5'4". The problem we are having and I did not realize this is my mom can not lift her leg high enough to get it over the top tube to get on we have to lay the bike on the ground and have her step over it to get on. It would be nice to have something that is easier for her. So if we could find a 18-16 it would be better.

#11 ·
Just a FWIW, yes the slightly smaller frame would be better. However, not by much, probably just over an inch in the back. This is if you were to find a 20x16 (Lg/Sm).

At 5'8", you may like the 18 front / 16 rear, (Md/Sm), but will probably find it tight with time. Early Cannondales, up to 1998 ran small. Not even certain you would get 2" of lower frame with the smaller bike.

The links to the old catalogs will give standover dimensions, they should be a good guide.

Leaning the bike to allow the stoker to get on is fine. You need to accomplish what works best. As an alternative, have you tried a technique where the captain gets on, straddles and may even sit on the toptube to steady the bike while holding the brakes. Then let the stoker climbs on where they use the pedal lowered to the bottom as a step and then swing a leg to the other side.

Unless you paid too much, you should be able to sell that bike as it is a preferred size. The Md/Sm are sort of common, but like anything they run in spurts. Often the Md/Sm bikes are being resold because they are to small for many teams.

PK

#12 ·
Well to solve the problem my mom has getting on they have decided to get a totally different tandem with more of a step through rear. With that being said I bought the MT1000 from them so now my wife and I own the bike we have no problems and could not be happier with it. Now I just have to get it set up looking for riser bars maybe a fork and we will be looking for a child stoker kit in the future our daughter is only 14 months right now.

I just have to get my custom tandem roof rack tray done so I can haul it around.

#14 ·
two years off

This is what we were running out here in Prescott AZ....But she has been setting around getting dusty for far to long, I fell from a ladder a couple years back broke some ribs in my back and collapsed a lung...still having pain in my back.
but after seeing this thread I gave the Cannondale a wash and a tuneup and took Christi's granddaughter for a ride....I think she liked it :p

Cheers all, and thanks for what is sure it be an awesome thread :thumbsup:

Attachments

#16 ·
This is what we were running out here in Prescott AZ....But she has been setting around getting dusty for far to long, I fell from a ladder a couple years back broke some ribs in my back and collapsed a lung...still having pain in my back.
but after seeing this thread I gave the Cannondale a wash and a tuneup and took Christi's granddaughter for a ride....I think she liked it :p

Cheers all, and thanks for what is sure it be an awesome thread :thumbsup:

Wow I like it in Yellow is that just black tape holding down the brake lines or ??
The first time my Rig went offroad I did hear lots of slap from the cable on the top tube I need to do something about that...........

#22 ·
Our 1999 Cannondale MT 3000

Wow! Getting this post done has been a great trip down memory lane! We got our C'dale in 2001 and rode it everywhere we could: Crested Butte, Moab, Fruita, Boulder, Kansas, Brian Head UT, and anywhere else that people said we couldn't;) In 2005 we upgraded to disc brakes/wheels, but other than that the bike was pretty stock. In late 2006 we got a Ventana full-sus and the Cannondale went to our in-laws so they could try it. Then after they bought two new tandems, we got it back just in time to convert it to a kid-tandem which we use for commuting and moderate singletrack (Fruita, some Moab). Man, this bike has been around! It still has the original drivetrain, except chain, and it still runs great.

Attachments

#25 ·
Couple of questions...We have the same Burley Solo trailer for our Granddaughter. Are you using yours on those trails I see behind you or are you primarily just on paved surfaces?

If you do use the trailer on those trails, of course riding well within the limits of pulling an occupied trailer, any idea how rough the ride is for the kid?

Thanks

PK

#26 ·
The trail that you see behind us is actual a hiking trail. That day we rode a paved trail and a crushed lime stone rails to trails. I almost always stick to a paved surface when pulling the burly I have taken it off-road but I ride very slow it looks like a bumpy ride in the trailer. I will probably try a bit more trail riding when she gets older.

#32 ·
New Cannondale tandem rider here. We've just picked up a RT2, I'm thinking and tinkering with it. it looks like at least for the moment, I can run it as both a road and cross frame, thinking about trying to get my hands on a beefy tree suspension for the front so we can take it truly off road. we've taken her out on two short shakedown runs and are having a blast! I can't wait for the weather to get better so I can talk my wife into more rides...

Attachments

#35 ·
You must be pretty tall. The frame appears to be a Jumbo or whatever Cannondale called their largest size frame for the Captain, the stoker compartment is the larger size also.

Cool bike, we had one for a while, possibly the same size.

You might consider seeing if your rear brake cable is floppy enough to engage the rotating rear tire. As simple tywrap could go a long way to keeping the cable secured if needed.

PK

#36 ·
well I see someone else posted their road c'dale tandem, so....
I'm a big fan of fenders. I pulled these off an old rusty 3-speed department store bike. Because the rear triangle is for skinny tires (max 700x32), I couldn't pass the fender under the seat-tube bridge. I had to cut the fender into two sections and make a bracket at the seat tube bridge to hold each section. lots of work, but I'm happy with the results.

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.