Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5
    to pedal or not to pedal
    Nov 2009
    Ha. Thanks but no thanks for the relationship advice....I appreciate your concern but I didn't fall off the tricycle yesterday . I'm still interested in fit advice related to my first post, specifically comparing the geometry of Cannondale single (Touring or Rush) to the cockpit feel of the Tandem.

Long Live Long Rides
    May 2008
    Can you dig up geometry charts for the different models and compare measurements? I just sold our 1999 M/S cannondale. I rode it for five years. I'm 5'10" with a long torso and the bike was a bit small for me. I have a L/S cannondale road tandem that fits much better. Does the MT 2000 have a fork on it? I think standover will be a bigger issue than reach. That bike was designed when a 120mm stem was on the short side, I think with a 90 or 80mm stem you would be ok. Front standover on ours was 30" using a 100mm fork.

PMK
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Trails4Two View Post
    Can you dig up geometry charts for the different models and compare measurements? I just sold our 1999 M/S cannondale. I rode it for five years. I'm 5'10" with a long torso and the bike was a bit small for me. I have a L/S cannondale road tandem that fits much better. Does the MT 2000 have a fork on it? I think standover will be a bigger issue than reach. That bike was designed when a 120mm stem was on the short side, I think with a 90 or 80mm stem you would be ok. Front standover on ours was 30" using a 100mm fork.
    5'10", previously owned a Large Small 98 Cannondale MT 3000. Agree with Trails 4Two, I ran the stem it came with, maybe a 120 and the moto fork. We also had a later model, new frame style MT800. Can't remember for certain but it was either a Large or XL in front. Ran a Nixon fork with the short travel setting. That bike fit ok but the added length and slack headtube angle made it a beast to manage. It was really tall so any concern for standover was moot. Had to learn to dismount offset from the top tube.

I would seriously look at old catalogs as suggested. Keep in mind though that those catalogs are known incorrect and truly do not offer the real picture. I was shocked to see how far the published vs actual headtube angle varied after I put a protractor to it.

All the best with it.

PK
    Reps! We don't need no stickin' reps!

to pedal or not to pedal
    Nov 2009
    THanks for the help. I've been looking at old catalogs this morning and based on that and the comments here, I'm just going to have to ride it to know for sure.

I rode an old Med/small yesterday and it felt really cramped (although it had some wonky old school bars on it with a medium stem). The bike in question does not currently have a suspension fork on it and the owner lists standover at 29" which is no issue.

PMK
    mtbr member
    With a suspension fork on our 2001 MT800, it was pretty tall standover wise. I would guess in long travel setting it was easily 35", in short travel, probably a solid 33".

Our Ventana, while tall is a lot more manageable in a similar height range. I would guess it has to do with the headtube angle being more vertical on the V, so it is less floppy than the C. The C not only did I need to stop and keep from tipping, but I had to ensure the wheel did not turn at all. Never dropped the stoker, but that bike had a few close calls. Every other tandem has not been an issue. In your words, I always felt that Cannondale had WONKY steering geometry.

PK
    Reps! We don't need no stickin' reps!

to pedal or not to pedal
    Nov 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by reed523 View Post
    THanks for the help. I've been looking at old catalogs this morning and based on that and the comments here, I'm just going to have to ride it to know for sure.

I rode an old Med/small yesterday and it felt really cramped (although it had some wonky old school bars on it with a medium stem). The bike in question does not currently have a suspension fork on it and the owner lists standover at 29" which is no issue.
    Well, i picked up the bike and the fit is perfect. At least 10 people got to go on their first ever tandem ride at the LBS last evening so it's already earning it's keep. Headed out for a little taste of Oklahoma gravel and red dirt later this morning....

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    has anyone ever tried to put a set of maxxis hookworm 26 x 2.5 on a cannondale tandem....does it rub against the frame...? thanks.

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    And now that She is all cleaned time for a few new pic's....
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails The Official Cannondale Thread-imag5403.jpg  

The Official Cannondale Thread-imag5429.jpg  

to pedal or not to pedal
    Nov 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by reed523 View Post
    Well, i picked up the bike and the fit is perfect. At least 10 people got to go on their first ever tandem ride at the LBS last evening so it's already earning it's keep. Headed out for a little taste of Oklahoma gravel and red dirt later this morning....
    This bike has rocked my world. We are having a blast with it...Here's my tandem partner (we split captain/stoker duties) out for a little ride yesterday with Oklahoma State University's mascot, Pistol Pete.
    The Official Cannondale Thread-suzy-pete-small-correct.jpg

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    I was wondering also if you could go wide and how big for mtb tires though...also does anyone know the size of my seat post and seat post clamp size?

mtbr member
    Deadgoat, I've run a Panaracer Rampage 2.35" tire with no clearance issues. As far as seatpost/clamp size they are most likely 27.2 for the post and 1 1/4" clamp.

K&K
    More for curiosity sake than actually offering useful information...

I was going for the absolute max width I could fit on our MT800 to deal with off-trail desert riding we used to do. I put a 3" Gazzalodi on for a while. I planed the knobbies nearly all the way off with a handplane to get it to fit. After a few weeks of riding it was clear that it touched the stay and actually started wearing into it so I took them off. Oh, and did I mention that they're a bit on the heavy side (1664 g) ;p

I was thinking of something along the lines of the tire in the photo below (from patineto's post in the brakes thread) when we lost our Cannondale. What is that beast patineto?

The Official Cannondale Thread-fat-tire-tandem.jpg

We replaced our lost MT800 with an ECDM and our riding terrain and style has changed dramatically, so don't need the extra floatation for sand anymore.

Like I said, probably not useful information, but the page has been pretty quiet lately so ....

Cheers
    k

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5